News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

John Bernhardt will be smiling, somewhere, today....
« on: June 03, 2015, 03:31:32 PM »
....as his beloved Tigers won the NCAA Men's Golf Championship.

Geaux Tigers!

But we miss you, John.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mike Hendren

Re: John Bernhardt will be smiling, somewhere, today....
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:41:35 PM »
Amen!
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

MCirba

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 03:47:55 PM »
Thanks, Rihc. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 06:12:58 PM »
So will JWL.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »
 8) Only thing better would have been beating Texas in the final 4!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 07:48:03 PM »
Unfortunately Stan Wood, Craig and Kevin Stadler, Dave Stockton, Scott Simpson, Al Geiberger and Gib Papazian are not smiling.  The failure of USC to have never won the title remains a mystery? 

Congratulations to LSU.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 08:50:53 PM »
The failure of USC to have never won the title remains a mystery? 

I blame the numbered uniforms?

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jon Adkins

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 09:01:50 PM »
I blame the numbered uniforms?

Yikes. Of course Georgia wore similar gear yesterday and experienced the same result in its match. Congrats to the Bayou Bengals.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »
FWIW, I had two of Lee McCoy's matches and asked what the numbers meant.  He explained Nike provided the shirts (UGA is a Nike school) and he had no idea what the numbers "meant".

Kinda old school actually as back in the day Houston coach Dave Williams actually numbered his players 1-5 so he knew who was who ???

Not sure they were the best looking things but the players said they were comfortable and seemed to like them.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
Unlike the conga-line of Trojan haters (including you Reilly), Tiger B. carried none of the tiresome, sneering animosity towards our great university. Given that I also miss his gravely drawl terribly, a tip of the hat to his memory. John never got to see his grandchild, but Katie is doing well, which must of of great comfort to him in whatever cosmic dimension he resides.

There is no explanation for USC's failure given our talent and resources; it is absolutely unexplainable. In the same way a school in the middle of South Central LA can't seem to play basketball at the highest levels either. Maybe we should lower our academic standards like sanctimonious Stanford or my ex-wife's high-school extension campus across town.   ;)      
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:28:14 AM by Gib Papazian »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 10:03:36 AM »
My son attends LSU.  Baseball, basketball and even football next.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 10:33:28 AM »
Unlike the conga-line of Trojan haters (including you Reilly), Tiger B. carried none of the tiresome, sneering animosity towards our great university. Given that I also miss his gravely drawl terribly, a tip of the hat to his memory. John never got to see his grandchild, but Katie is doing well, which must of of great comfort to him in whatever cosmic dimension he resides.

There is no explanation for USC's failure given our talent and resources is absolutely unexplainable. In the same way a school in the middle of South Central LA can't seem to play basketball at the highest levels either. Maybe we should lower our academic standards like sanctimonious Stanford or my ex-wife's high-school extension campus across town.   ;)     

As a former Bruin, I don't subscribe to the "I cheer for the Bruins and anyone who is playing USC."  Chris Zambri is a great guy who builds his team around SoCal kids, including his high school, Westlake.  I wanted the Trojans to prevail.  They have a great tradition and most of their former stars are great guys.  As for basketball, the former football playing AD may have made a mistake on the basketball hire.  Maybe next time more research and not who has the hot team in the previous March Madness event would be a good start.  But seriously, if the football is winning, does anyone care?  As for the NCAA, I know this has little to do with architecture, but why do the univesities have to stock their rosters with so many non Americans?  Can't we limit each team to about 2 each?
Conga-line?
The conga line is a novelty dance dance that was derived from the Cuban carnival dance of the same name and became popular in the US in the 1930s
Definition added for those of us without the benefit of an education from a privately funded institution.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Chris Cupit

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »
Gib,

Both USC and LSU were class acts (players, coaches and parents) and it was a pleasure working the event.  

One quick story:  immediately after the event I went to shake hands with the players.  Ricoh Hoey is obviously bummed having just lost a point and yet he came right up, extended his hand, gave me a big smile and thanked me for "a wonderful week".   :D

The whole USC bunch was a pleasure and as a young team I certainly expect that they will have more opportunities to capture that elusive first national title!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 10:46:06 AM »

There is no explanation for USC's failure given our talent and resources is absolutely unexplainable. In the same way a school in the middle of South Central LA can't seem to play basketball at the highest levels either. Maybe we should lower our academic standards like sanctimonious Stanford or my ex-wife's high-school extension campus across town.   ;)      

As a former Bruin, I don't subscribe to the "I cheer for the Bruins and anyone who is playing USC."  Chris Zambri is a great guy who builds his team around SoCal kids, including his high school, Westlake.  I wanted the Trojans to prevail.  They have a great tradition and most of their former stars are great guys.  As for basketball, the former football playing AD may have made a mistake on the basketball hire.  Maybe next time more research and not who has the hot team in the previous March Madness event would be a good start.  But seriously, if the football is winning, does anyone care?  As for the NCAA, I know this has little to do with architecture, but why do the univesities have to stock their rosters with so many non Americans?  Can't we limit each team to about 2 each?
Conga-line?
The conga line is a novelty dance dance that was derived from the Cuban carnival dance of the same name and became popular in the US in the 1930s
Definition added for those of us without the benefit of an education from a privately funded institution.

Lynn,

Coonass is full American.

http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&SPID=2175&SPSID=27877

It does appear we have an Englishman on the team but you gotta love the home grown nature of LSU's team.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:48:03 AM by John Kavanaugh »

JJShanley

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 10:58:10 AM »
Those shirts looked the love child of a polo shirt worn for the game of polo, and a bad soccer (football) jersey. 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 11:22:17 AM »
Congrats to LSU but my goodness I do not want to be on the same course with any of those kids... painfully slow. I yelled at the TV a few times.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
John never got to see his grandchild, but Katie is doing well, which must of of great comfort to him in whatever cosmic dimension he resides.    

He and I call it Heaven, fwiw.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »
Bogey,

Knowing Tiger, I'm not sure he would have chosen to take residence in an ethereal place infested with harp-playing cherubs. Depending on your beliefs as to what constitutes a reward for a life lived, well, not *too* far from the boundary of propriety, I see Bernhardt''s hereafter involving membership at a cosmic Cypress Point - with naked runway models in the caddy shack and a clubhouse menu serving only high tone whiskey and dripping rare rib eyes.

Bernhardt was a manly man he was.

Her Redness once noted that John was not the best looking guy she had ever met, but definitely one of the most charming. We once intentionally seated him across the table at a dinner party with a pretty single gal - and it took less than five minutes for that cheeky grin and southern boy line of bullshit to have her completely mesmerized. That one lasted until he couldn't travel anymore.

John came back from his first bout with "the C-word" at 110% - it was like it never happened. It seems the best guys get shot down at full stride while nasty pricks who make everybody miserable live forever. The one consolation is Tiger B. skinned every cat in the alley, did it all twice and never once looked in his rear view mirror. I guess there is a lesson there . . . . . .                
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:21:36 AM by Gib Papazian »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 11:17:45 AM »
Bernhardt was an oil man...he prayed every damn day.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »
While we are on the subject of nasty pricks . . . . . .

And to quote my esteemed father-in-law (on the pulpit for 50 years): "Just because you go sit in the hen house every Sunday doesn't make you a chicken, now does it?"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:36:58 AM by Gib Papazian »

Paul Jones

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 12:08:50 PM »
Chris,

I am glad you got to work the Championship.  Chuck is a class act and well represents LSU

I chatted with Katie right after telling her that John must have "Pulled a few Strings Upstairs"

Now it is time to watch LSU Baseball in Omaha !!!

Geaux Tigers !!!
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 12:13:10 PM »
Chris,

I am glad you got to work the Championship.  Chuck is a class act and well represents LSU

I chatted with Katie right after telling her that John must have "Pulled a few Strings Upstairs"

Now it is time to watch LSU Baseball in Omaha !!!

Geaux Tigers !!!

I doubt that last night could have been any better.  LSU clinched a trip, the Cavs made it a series and Game of Thrones hit on all cylinders. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 07:25:22 PM »
I am sure that I am breaking some forum rules, but Tiger Bernhardt is re-smiling today:

"LSU confirms it: Les Miles, Cam Cameron out at LSU"
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_53f1a66a-8357-11e6-9401-c7a5b0a63245.html

ND (Mucci), USC (Gib), and BC (me) all stink.

Carry on :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:27:03 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Paul Jones

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 10:01:35 AM »
He will be doing back flips when Joe Alleva leaves. 
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back