News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Deep Irony!
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:40:40 AM »
Ted Ray on American golf and golfers, from the Aberdeen Daily Journal of December 3, 1913 (i.e., after he returned from his tour of the US with Vardon):

Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Rich Goodale

Re: Deep Irony!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:07:56 AM »
Thanks Adam

Good to see Archie Simpson given some props re: CC of Detroit.  After Colt left his sticks in the ground, Archie built the course that Vardon references.  When i was writing an article for your Mag I tried to find out from the powers that were then at CCofD as to why Archie bolted back to Carnoustie relatively soon after he arrived there, and hit a huge road block.  As Joseph Heller once said, "Something Happened."  I have an idea what that something was, but this idea will go with me to my grave.....

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ed Homsey

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 02:53:54 PM »
Interesting.  The article expresses essentially the same sentiment as Walter J.Travis's December 1901 article, "Impressions of British Golf".  I'm wondering if Ray's observations would have been different if he had played Garden City Golf Club.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 05:58:30 AM »
Well, that American "problem" certainly has been remedied today, no shortage of hazards, no width and no ground game allowed. Mission accomplished?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 09:24:33 AM »
Well, that American "problem" certainly has been remedied today, no shortage of hazards, no width and no ground game allowed. Mission accomplished?

Thanks Ted Ray.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back