News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Albanese

Second Raynor Course at Yale
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »
I stumbled upon this Seth Raynor plan proposing two golf courses at Yale on a website detailing a research project on the history of Yale golf. https://webspace.yale.edu/Yale-golf-history/
https://webspace.yale.edu/Yale-golf-history/Eras/1923-1926/Building.htm

Does anyone have any more information on the second proposed course? Were there also to be template holes? It would be interesting to see the layout superimposed on a satellite / topographical map of the site. Any comments are appreciated.

Bill Brightly

Re: Second Raynor Course at Yale
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:24:54 PM »
Matt,

That is very cool, thanks for posting. Which color course was built, the yellow or the orange? Or is that simply a proposal that Raynor prepared for alternative routings? I know that Raynor prepared routings for three separate locations on Fishers Island, presumably to give options to the founders. My guess is that Raynor was just showing Yale two different locations where the course might be placed.

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 09:46:05 PM »
 8)

google earth view, major road to NW (in corner), but ponds/lakes in center of area seem to help understand final layout

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:48:15 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Rees Milikin

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 09:46:50 PM »
Matt,

That is very cool, thanks for posting. Which color course was built, the yellow or the orange? Or is that simply a proposal that Raynor prepared for alternative routings? I know that Raynor prepared routings for three separate locations on Fishers Island, presumably to give options to the founders. My guess is that Raynor was just showing Yale two different locations where the course might be placed.

Based upon the water it appears as if the yellow is the closest to the current routing.

Matt, this very cool and thanks for sharing.

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:04:12 PM »
Matt,

I would guess most of the holes on the second course would have been templates too.  If you look closely at the Par 3's on each course, you will notice some of the template holes. 

It looks like all the Par 3's were shifted around to me?

The second course never came to fruition because of a conflict with the schools endowment campaign.  The cost to construct the first course was more expensive than the golf committee planned for.  They started a membership drive that turned out to be very successful. 
According to Golf At Yale:
"Success of the patron program could have financed the full thirty-six hole plan.  Unfortunately the committee plans ran afoul of the University, which was beginning its own endowment campaign and feared the simultaneous competition.  As a result, it absorbed all of the construction costs into its general budget, but this is likely the reason why the second eighteen hole course was never begun."

Bret

Matt Albanese

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »
I took my own suggestion and crudely superimposed the drawing on the satellite image. Some of the holes to the east were cut off. If anyone would like to do it better, please go ahead.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:00:19 PM by Matt Albanese »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 05:15:22 PM »
I hear they are going to build Yale's second course as the 5th course at Streamsong!  :o
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 06:32:53 PM »
Depending on which early reports you read, the plans originally were for either two or three courses.

Feb. 1924 Golf Illustrated -

April 11, 1924 Tonawanda Evening News

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 01:36:51 PM »
Hanging in the locker room at Yeamans Hall is a drawing by Raynor of a second course that was never built.

Bob

David Cronheim

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »
Hanging in the locker room at Yeamans Hall is a drawing by Raynor of a second course that was never built.

Bob

It certainly would be cool to see a club build out a second course from a set of golden age architect's plans, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Sadly, in Yale's case much of the land underlying the second course's routing is a housing development.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 08:56:08 AM »
It looks like 7 of them could still be possible.   That would make for a great set of practice holes!!!

Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Bill Crane

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »

Bob

It certainly would be cool to see a club build out a second course from a set of golden age architect's plans, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Sadly, in Yale's case much of the land underlying the second course's routing is a housing development.

David:

Actually this has already happened.  William Flynn designed and built 27 holes for Huntingdon Valley directly north of Philadelphia, PA.
During the depression, the club had to abandon the third nine – now called the Centennial nine since they did not have funds to maintain it.   For a few years they kept cutting the brush back periodically, but eventually could not afford this as well.    5o years of  trees grew until the club decided in 1996 to rebuild the third nine.

The club has a clear description of the process on their website:

http://www.hvccpa.org/club/scripts/library/view_document.asp?NS=PUBLIC&APP=80&DN=HISTORY

Although I have not played the Centennial nine, the Twoomey/Flynn nines are excellent, interesting and challenging.

Wm Flynnfan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back