News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MBlackham

Minnesota in June...
« on: May 13, 2015, 12:07:28 AM »
I am going to be in Minneapolis in late June playing games at Interlachen CC and Hazeltine National.  I have time for one more round.  I am currently debating between Spring Hill Golf Club or White Bear Yacht Club.  Wondering the thoughts of my esteemed cohorts of GCA.  Please advise and give opinions.  I know nothing of this part of the United States.  Any other courses I should consider? What are the can't miss Minneapolis courses according to GCA?

Thnx
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 12:09:59 AM by MBlackham »

Jeff Shelman

Re: Minnesota in June...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 12:38:27 AM »
WBYC. It isn't close.

Spring Hill is a fine golf course, but WBYC is very cool. Really good greens, interesting land, rolling property.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:59:44 AM »
Interesting I am heading there next week on business... WBYC looks worthy a visit, but private?

Are there any good public tracks in the area of St Pauls does anyone know?

Greg Taylor

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 08:54:40 AM »
I was in MSP last week. The Twin Cities has a deep list of fine golf courses.

White Bear Yacht Club is at the top of my list. Minikahda is also really good. I was also surprised by Midland Hills, where there's some good Raynor holes. Somerset Country Club (also Raynor) has one of the wildest Redan holes I've seen, too.

A lot of choices ...
jeffmingay.com

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 09:40:38 AM »
WBYC. It isn't close.

Spring Hill is a fine golf course, but WBYC is very cool. Really good greens, interesting land, rolling property.

Jeff is spot on here.  I'd go 8 plays at White Bear and 2 at Spring Hill.    WBYC is really quirky and fun.   However, if you're looking for immaculate conditioning and exclusivity, then Spring Hill is the ticket.  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:42:14 AM by Ben Kodadek »

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 09:41:45 AM »
Interesting I am heading there next week on business... WBYC looks worthy a visit, but private?

Keller Golf Club
Stone Ridge
Troy Burne

All very nice daily fees on the east side of town.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »
I posted a "ranking" of sorts a couple of years back of my favorite courses in the Twin Cities. I found it and tweaked it a bit. As you'll see, my tastes tend to run more classic and quirky than most.

Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan Area

Generally speaking, anyone of the below could move up or down three spaces on any given day:

1.   White Bear Yacht Club (Ross)

WBYC is my favorite golf course in Minnesota, and I enjoy it more every time I play it. It’s really quirky and the greens are crazy, so it’s not everyone’s cup of tea…particularly here in town where some people have thought I was crazy for saying it’s the best course in the State. White Bear is well worth the trip to the Twin Cities to see.

2.   Interlachen (Watson / Ross)

I think Interlachen is a pretty great golf course and as close to an ideal “parkland” design as you’ll find in the Midwest. The greens are really neat and there are a handful of fantastic golf holes (#2, 6, 9, 10, 13, 16, 18).

3.   Minikahda (Ross)

I’ve been able to play Minikahda in each of the past three years, the last two as part of the Twin Cities Cup. Each time I play it I enjoy it more and more. GCA’s own Jeff Johnson does an incredible job “presenting” the golf course and keeps it in great shape. There are a lot of really good holes out there and while many people rag on the 15-16-17 triangle as a weakness I think they are awesome and fun holes, perfect for match play.

4.   Town & Country (Ben Schurmeier)

I’m obviously biased, so feel free to call me a homer, but T&C deserves a place on this list especially after the renovation work that was completed last year. All bunkers were rebuilt, hundreds of trees have been removed, mowing lines restored, and quite a few new tees have been built (a few new back tees and a few new forward tees) which added about a hundred yards of length to the back tees. Again, I’m biased, but I think there are a lot of really good holes (#1, #2, #5, #6, #8, #9, #10, #11, #13, #15, #17). A couple of the weaker holes will be much improved once the work is completed, in particular #7 and #14. Of course not everyone loves its blind shots and old-fashioned par sequence, but if you love quirk T&C has its fair share.
A photo tour and discussion from last fall can be found here: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59617.0.html
Jeff Mingay spent a few days on the property last week looking at the course and a few potential projects. So hopefully the process of fine tuning of T&C continues in the near future under Jeff’s watch.

5.   Golden Valley (AWT)

I’ve played Golden Valley a few times now and enjoy it. I think there are a bunch of solid, classic Tillinghast-style holes, and no real clunkers (even though #10 is close). Despite the two road crossings and one rail crossing Golden Valley has a great piece of golfing land.

6.   Windsong Farm (Lehman)

Windsong Farm has a cool golf only set-up that I certainly envy. A pretty solid and tough golf course. I think the property is fantastic but I think the designers missed the mark a little bit in that for a “links”/prairie/etc. style course the greens are pushed up too high and with the wind that’s prevalent out there it’s too difficult to hold the greens with mid-to-low irons. I’m likely being too picky but I think other designers would of made the greens more receptive to the ground game.

7.   Hazeltine (RTJ)

I like Hazeltine better than probably anyone here on Golf Club Atlas. It’s hard and it’s a “championship” golf course and it certainly fits the bill. I think #10 and #16 are really great golf holes, but there are one too many dull holes on the front nine for my taste.

8.   Midland Hills (Raynor)

I played Midland Hills for the first time a couple of years ago with Jeff Shelman and really enjoyed it. I think it’s the best of the remaining Raynor courses up here. I think the back nine is really good. I liked the Biarritz and Punchbowl a lot.

9.   Oak Ridge (William Clark)

The stretch from #12 through #17 is as good as anything as you’ll see in the Twin Cities. Some awesome holes in there (#12 and #13 are incredible). I think there are a few so-so holes on the front side that hold Oak Ridge back in my “rankings.”
10.   Minneapolis (Park/Ross)

MGC is pretty solid and it reminds me a lot of many of the clubs I grew up playing in Chicago (North Shore, Beverly, the old Exmoor, Sunset Ridge, etc.). I think they need to cut down a lot of trees.

11.   Spring Hill (Fazio)

Pretty good Fazio, but I don’t really get the appeal of the course that apparently a lot of Golfweek and Golf Digest guys get. I think the land is generally too severe and some of the holes on the back nine suffer from it.

12.   Somerset (Raynor)

Somerset is a really cool, low-key place to play golf. There is an awesome Redan and a pretty good reconstructed Short, but there are a lot of holes that have been ruined over the years by bad Cornish-esque renovation work and way too many trees.
13.   Keller (Paul Coates)

I really like Keller. It’s a fun, classic muni that’s is a lot better after Rich Mandell’s renovation. It’s my favorite public course in the metro area.

14.   Edina (Bendelow / Lehman)

I never played ECC before Lehman’s work a few years ago but I enjoyed it the one time I played it. I played it with Jeff Shelman and we both agreed that it is a very pleasant course that we’d both be very happy playing every day. Lehman did a nice job building a lot of interest into a classic course on a pretty boring suburban site.

15.   StoneRidge (Bobby Weed)

A pretty solid public Bobby Weed design that has some fun and crazy features. My favorite modern public.

16.   Wayzata (Harris)

Not many people talk about Wayzata CC (Tim Heron’s home course) but I thought it was a pretty solid mid-1950’s style course (I think Robert Bruce Harris is the designer).There are a couple really awkward holes around ponds but overall it’s a nice course to play.

17.   North Oaks (Stanley Thomson)

I liked North Oaks but other than the 7th and 9th holes I don’t remember anything that really knocked my socks off.

18.   Minnesota Valley (Raynor)

MVCC is a pretty nice course, but with only a little bit of Raynor left. It has an ok Redan and Alps, but the rest of the course is just ok.

H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 10:45:31 AM »

Greg,

What day are you looking to play? My home course, Town & Country, is in St. Paul (about 5 miles west of downtown St. Paul).

Otherwise, my favorite public course in the area is on the "St. Paul side"; Keller Golf Course.
H.P.S.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 10:50:32 AM »
My list is always White Bear, Somerset, Windsong, North Oaks, all before Spring Hill.  its nice, but its hard, and it is typical Fazio, whereas the others (even after the Lehman redo of NO) offer chances to play something pretty unique.  Yes, Windsong is modern, but I like John Fought's work and think he brings in some old time concepts quite well.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
Pat's list is a good list.  I tried to compile a composite ranking of the GCA locals' favorite courses a couple of years ago.  White Bear Yacht Club was the unanimous favorite.

I recall having to do some interpretation to come up with the list because some people ranked courses and others just listed their 10 favorite.  The results reflect fondness for courses at which we have members, at least compared to magazine rankings.  Our views may reflect insight or bias.  I prefer to think of it as insight.

1.    WBYC (5) – 60
2.   Minikahda  - 46
3.   Interlachen  -45
4.   Oak Ridge  - 38
5.   Windsong Farm 26
6.   Golden Valley – 25
7.   Woodhill – 23
8.   Hazeltine – 21
9.   Stillwater – 15
10.   Midland Hills – 12

Also receiving votes:  Minneapolis 9, T&CC 7, Keller 7, Stoneridge 6, Somerset 5, Dellwood 5, Wayzata 1,  (Spring Hill might make it if more people had played it.)   

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Were the votes for Keller before or after the reno?  After Rich Mandell's renovation, it would be a nice addition to any list, with a very traditional fee.

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 11:11:56 AM »
Were the votes for Keller before or after the reno?  After Rich Mandell's renovation, it would be a nice addition to any list, with a very traditional fee.

Keller would be a terrific addition.  I think the Keller renovation was in progress so I cannot vouch for whether the votes reflect the anticpated product or what existed before.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »
I was also surprised by Midland Hills, where there's some good Raynor holes.

As a member of Midland Hills (which I could afford to join because it's so underappreciated, here and everywhere), allow me to say:

EVERYONE is surprised by Midland Hills -- which invariably is some sort of after-thought in these wretched rankings so many of the guys here are so enamored of. C'est la vie. It's a wonderful golf course, getting better all the time (under the direction of our superintendent, Mike Manthey).

MBlackham -- If you, too, would like to be surprised by Midland Hills, send me an IM or an email. We'll arrange something. If not: Enjoy White Bear Yacht Club. You'd be hard-pressed not to!

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Greg Tallman

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »
Pat's list is a good list.  I tried to compile a composite ranking of the GCA locals' favorite courses a couple of years ago.  White Bear Yacht Club was the unanimous favorite.

I recall having to do some interpretation to come up with the list because some people ranked courses and others just listed their 10 favorite.  The results reflect fondness for courses at which we have members, at least compared to magazine rankings.  Our views may reflect insight or bias.  I prefer to think of it as insight.

1.    WBYC (5) – 60
2.   Minikahda  - 46
3.   Interlachen  -45
4.   Oak Ridge  - 38
5.   Windsong Farm 26
6.   Golden Valley – 25
7.   Woodhill – 23
8.   Hazeltine – 21
9.   Stillwater – 15
10.   Midland Hills – 12

Also receiving votes:  Minneapolis 9, T&CC 7, Keller 7, Stoneridge 6, Somerset 5, Dellwood 5, Wayzata 1,  (Spring Hill might make it if more people had played it.)   

With your travel schedule I must question whether if you have actually been in Minnesota (other than an airport) in June????

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »
Another thing to consider about MN in June.....it could snow!  Has happened before. Up further north, I think they have had snow in every month but August.

Paul Jones

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 12:38:40 PM »
When I played WBYC, I asked if they offer out of state memberships.  I haven't played Spring Hill yet, but I have played Interlachen, Windsong Farm and WBYC was my favorite.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John Crowley

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 12:46:14 PM »
From the Minnesotan GCAers it is clear that WBYC is the top pick to your question.

It is private so access could be an issue.

Windsong is a John Fought design with some collaboration with Tom Lehman.

It won't snow.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »
I don't think you're entirely bias, Pat ... there are plenty of things to like about Town and Country. I don't want to say too much about it considering I was walking and studying the course last week on "official business"! I'm saving my opinions for the committee and Board!

The history at T&C is awesome ... the first golf played in Minnesota, Robert Foulis' involvement and residency there, etc. Some of the perceived "quirks" of the routing are some of the features I found most interesting, too. Playing up and over stuff - like at 4 and 6- is an old school style of routing reminiscent of many of the great old links, like Royal St. George's and Prestwick for example, where shots were played over big dunes. Having big stuff like that in the way was "more normal" during the late 1890s than it is today. Many contemporary golfers think such features are odd.

The par 3s at T&C are very strong, and varied as well. And, 13's a mini-, mirror version of Calamity at Royal Portrush, if you can image all of the trees on the left (and the cart path there) gone! Pretty cool hole.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 12:47:59 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Shane Wright

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 12:57:06 PM »
Did I just hear a "Calamity" analogy regarding a golf hole in Minnesota?  You've got my attention!

I agree

Pat, time for you to organize flights to Belfast for some of your cronies to see this and get it done at T&C!

BHoover

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 01:01:45 PM »
As one who recently moved to MN for work, I can honestly say this--if I see snowflakes in June, I'm going to lose it.

As for golf, I haven't played much in the state, but Windsong and Midland Hills are both good and lots of fun. The place I most want to play is Minikahda because I've heard very good things. I've also heard great things about Northland in Duluth.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »
As I have said early and often, if anyone is in town and wants to play Midland, let me know.

If my work schedule allows, I'll be happy to have people out.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
As I have said early and often, if anyone is in town and wants to play Midland, let me know.

If my work schedule allows, I'll be happy to have people out.

And if Jeff's schedule won't allow, mine almost certainly will.

Open invitation.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 01:06:41 PM »
It won't snow.

You Minnesotans are so defensive!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 01:12:19 PM »
As one who recently moved to MN for work, I can honestly say this--if I see snowflakes in June, I'm going to lose it.

Fear not, Buckeye! You won't be losing it -- at least not on that account.

Of course, you haven't seen the mosquitoes yet...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back