News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Arthur Spring
« on: May 14, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
Irish golf architect Dr Spring died last week aged 70, after a long illness.

Arthur had been trying to get permission to build in the well known dune complex at Inch in SW Ireland for many years. More recently, Mike Keiser and Jim Urbina had become involved, but my understanding is that Arthur remained the key to any chance of planning approval. Could -- finally -- be the end of the Inch project.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David Ober

Re: Arthur Spring
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 10:07:48 PM »
So sad to hear this. I met Arthur by chance (after a round at Dooks) on my trip to Ireland last year with some buddies. He was one of the most gracious men I have ever met. Treated us to a round of golf at Ballybunion and then bought us dinner afterwards. A true gentleman.

Tim_Weiman

Re: Arthur Spring
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 01:48:21 AM »
Adam:

About fifteen years ago Arthur gave me a tour of Inch. At that point, he told me he was 17 years into the planning permission process with no end in sight. So, yes, he certainly worked on Inch for a long time hoping that he would eventually be successful. Part of his motivation was the site itself, of course. But it was also clear there was more than a little frustration over losing the fight for the property that eventually become Doonbeg.

Arthur was very kind to me and I will always remember and appreciate his kindness.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back