News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Sturges

Mr. Dye
« on: May 14, 2015, 02:07:05 PM »
I will be attending a club event at Crooked Stick later this evening that will feature Mr. Dye in an architectural presentation/discussion followed by Q & A.  If you could ask Pete Dye one question, what would it be?

TS

Gary Sato

Re: Mr. Dye
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 02:12:19 PM »
His highest rated golf course and arguably his best is The Golf Club built in 1967.  Why did he stray away from this minimalist style and does he regret building ultra modern courses.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »
   Gary:  Why not just ask him why he became such a bad architect? 
   I think I might ask him what he considers to be his greatest/most important contribution to golf architecture.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:02:23 PM »
Regret building ultra modern courses?  Pretty sure I can answer for him.. NO!!!

He has some of the most highly regarded courses in the world...in addition to the one already mentioned...Kiawah Ocean, TPC Sawgrass, the courses at Kohler, Teeth of the Dog, Harbour Town, PDGC of WV...the list goes on.

He has been charged on more than one occasion with building courses the Tour will play.  He has sought to challenge those players and he has very successfully.

I'm not sure I would ask him a question...rather I'd just say thanks!!!

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 03:19:56 PM »
His highest rated golf course and arguably his best is The Golf Club built in 1967.  Why did he stray away from this minimalist style and does he regret building ultra modern courses.

This cant be serious.  Firstly, Kiawah Ocean, Whistling Straits and Honors are all "rated" higher than The Golf Club. 

He has 5 of the Top 50 along with Ross and Fazio (more than any other architect with the exception of Tilly who has some co-design credits that give him 5).  And, his 6th highly rated course is sitting at #51.

He builds some of the most strategically interesting golf courses out there that demand the player to think about how to hit each shot to set up the next one, working from the green back. 

He also has Tom Doak and Bill Coore on his design tree.  So, I think Mac is right, just say "thank you". 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 03:25:19 PM »
Speaking of TPC Sawgrass, the players screamed when it was first opened.  Nicklaus and Palmer both missed the cut and JC Snead called it some bad words. 

Dye had to make many changes the 2d year to make it much more playable. 

Now, Rickie Fowler shoots 6 under for the last 6 holes and birdies the 17th twice in the playoff. 

The question is, given the advances in balls and equipment, could he see himself going back and making the course tougher?

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »
  If you could ask Pete Dye one question, what would it be?

TS

How much of you design philosophy, particularly greensites and bunkering, was influenced by the work of William Langford?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 04:32:28 PM »
I think I'd ask him (though I don't think he'd give me a straight answer, and why should he):  Looking back, what was your main driving force/ambition? Did you have greatness or a legacy or an enjoyable living or a thriving business in mind? What really got you up in the morning?

Peter

JJShanley

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 04:47:51 PM »
I wonder if you could get at that issue in a way that doesn't force Mr. Dye to say "I'll be honest: I'm in it for the money/women/fame/free supply of railway road ties with which folk bribe me" by asking him how he implements the "hard par, easy bogey" ideal that tests the elite player without ruining everyone else's round.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »
JJ - that's indeed a terrific question, but from interviews I've read over the years it might elicit from Mr Dye either:

"Never gave it a darn thought. Figured the elite players end up testing themselves -- all I did was confuse them a little.

or

"I don't know who 'everyone else' is, but if they'd just have the good sense to take the easy bogey I'd never ruin anyone's round".  

Peter
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:03:58 PM by PPallotta »

Josh Tarble

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »
I would ask why his most recent high-profile design (French Lick) seemed to such as departure from his style?

Instead of wide fairways and playing angles, seems like French Lick is mostly a ribbon of fairway in thick rough - and length, length and more length.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 05:19:15 PM »
How many strokes would Alice have to give Golf's Most Beloved?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 09:11:44 PM »
RTJ was "hard par, easy bogey."    I would say Pete is "difficult par, hard bogey, easy double."

BCowan

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 10:23:52 PM »
 Mr Dye, first thank you.  I have the chainsaws ready, lets cut thousands of trees down at Radrick and make some tweaks.  It's the better work than you give yourself credit for. 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 10:35:04 PM »
I was going to suggest asking him why he doesn't post on GCA, but this thread has already provided a thorough answer.

Enjoy the terrific opportunity afforded by the presentation.

WW

Jim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 06:49:27 AM »
Dye is famous, among other things, for turning terrible sites into fantastic courses.  So I might ask him what he would do with a great site, ala Sand Hills, and carte blanche to create whatever he liked. 

Randy Thompson

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 08:40:56 AM »
Ask him what is easier in golf course architecture, being a leader or following!

Matt Kardash

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 09:51:07 AM »
Why did he just blow up the 17th at Crooked Stick by adding a pond? Why did he recently move the 5th green at The Golf Club?
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Ted Sturges

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 10:20:53 AM »
Lots of interesting questions here.  Last evening's event was very enjoyable and the 89 year old Mr. Dye did not disappoint.  The session was moderated by a Crooked Stick member and he asked the first several questions before opening it up to the (friendly) crowd of Crooked Stick members.  They had one microphone and the moderator would ask a question and then hand the mic to Mr. Dye.  Just to give you a taste of it, here was the first question:

Moderator:  "Pete, in 1963 you travelled to the British Isles to play in the British Amateur.  We know that you stayed after the event and played approximately 30 courses over there, which no doubt influenced your design philosophy.  Can you tell us, why did you decide to become a golf course architect?"  (moderator then handed the mic to Mr. Dye).

Mr. Dye:   "I don't know"  (hands the mic back to the Moderator as the crowd erupts in laughter).

I asked him the following question:  "Mr. Dye, did you ever meet Seth Raynor or Donald Ross in person?"

His answer was that he had never met Seth Raynor, but that he spent a good bit of time in Pinehurst with Donald Ross near the end of his life.  Donald Ross died in 1948.  Pete would have been 22 at the time.  Pete told me that he was in the military as a young man and was stationed in North Carolina and he was fairly close to Pinehurst.  He played a lot of golf in Moore County during that period of his life.  He said he never got to play a round of golf with Mr. Ross, but that he got to know him quite well.  I thought that was fascinating.  Two of golf's most significant architects, their combined careers spanning more than a century, intersecting at a magical moment in time.  Pretty cool.

TS

Gary Sato

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 12:06:38 PM »
I've seen him speak twice and both times he looks into the audience and says "I'm the only person in this room who met Donald Ross". Seems that subject is one of the few that sparks his interest.

His interview with Ran may be the single worst interview in GCA history.

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 01:31:31 PM »
I would ask him if he's played any of his well-known workers' courses: Coore's, Doak's, Liddy's, etc. And if he has, what does he think of the courses and their builders.

I'd ask him what his favorite course he didn't build is.

I wouldn't ask him why he hates my golf game, but later I'd regret not asking him....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 01:34:17 PM »

I asked him the following question:  "Mr. Dye, did you ever meet Seth Raynor or Donald Ross in person?"

Ted:

Mr. Dye was only a few months old when Seth Raynor passed away!

When I had dinner with Robert Trent Jones many years ago, I realized he was the only person I'd ever met who spent a day with Alister MacKenzie and a day with A.W. Tillinghast [and, of course, a lot of time with Stanley Thompson].  

Even if I live to be 100, though, I surely won't be the only one who spent a day with RTJ and with Jack Nicklaus and Pete Dye.  Designers now are celebrities compared to the old days, when they weren't flown in for grand openings and media days.

P.S. to George P.:  Just saw your question.  I know that Mr. Dye has not played any of my courses, though he has gotten a brief tour of Pacific Dunes.  I know that he played Sand Hills a few years ago with Mr. Youngscap, so he's seen at least one of Bill Coore's courses [and probably just that one].

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2015, 05:27:46 PM »
I've seen him speak twice and both times he looks into the audience and says "I'm the only person in this room who met Donald Ross". Seems that subject is one of the few that sparks his interest.

His interview with Ran may be the single worst interview in GCA history.

Just went and read it.  Wow, that was awkward even in print.

Ryan Bass

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2015, 05:36:05 PM »
I literally almost walked over Mr. Dye in the Crooked Stick Clubhouse about 5 years ago.  Very gracious man and he shook my hand firmly like we were old friends.  I would ask him:  If golf had never been invented, what profession would you have taken up and why? 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2015, 05:39:14 PM »
I literally almost walked over Mr. Dye in the Crooked Stick Clubhouse about 5 years ago.  Very gracious man and he shook my hand firmly like we were old friends.  I would ask him:  If golf had never been invented, what profession would you have taken up and why? 

Ryan:

You do know that Mr. Dye was a very successful insurance salesman before he was a golf architect, right?

OTOH, your question might be a good one because if he hadn't been such a gregarious golfer, Pete probably wouldn't have been such a great insurance salesman, either.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back