News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

abmack

According to The Evangelist of Golf, Seth Raynor designed the first 9 holes of The Everglades Club's golf course in 1919. He then returned 1924-1926 to build the back nine. I know this golf course quite well and my understanding is that the course which exists now is much more of a Brian Silva creation than a Seth Raynor. I recently found this 1921 image in the Library of Congress's online archives:

and this one from 1937:

These are the only pictures of the original course that I have ever seen. The hole which exists there now looks nothing like the picture and I wondered whether anyone on GCA knows about what the course originally looked like. I have not done much research... Has anyone looked into the course's history?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:01:04 PM by abmack »

JMEvensky

Re: What do we know about Raynor's design of The Everglades Club
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »
Steve Shaffer has some EC information,I believe. I'm not sure how much he has on the design of the golf course.

Send him a PM or keep bumping until he sees this thread.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »
Andrew, I should have those aerials from the 20's and 30's by tomorrow.  I'll post them here once I receive them.

I am pretty sure there wasn't much water on the course like there is now and that the driving range changed some holes.  The punchbowl par 3 is interesting regardless of whether it is original.

abmack

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »
Andrew, I should have those aerials from the 20's and 30's by tomorrow.  I'll post them here once I receive them.

I am pretty sure there wasn't much water on the course like there is now and that the driving range changed some holes.  The punchbowl par 3 is interesting regardless of whether it is original.

Rees,

Agreed. it's a very non-routine hole. I look forward to seeing your aerials. Could you e-mail them to me as well?

Thanks

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 09:20:49 PM »
I'm not sure there is much Raynor left.  Ron Kirby was there in the late 70's or early 80's and then Brian came in later.  My father-in-law was the supt there for around 10 years from late 70's until around 86.  I have many of his photos of various things but just don't recall much Raynor.  I do know they are really into the flowers....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 09:58:14 PM »
Here's a 1938 Aerial of the course (from the Nov. 20, 1938 edition of The Palm Beach Post) -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »
All,

My information has nothing to do with golf course architecture at Everglades Club.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back