News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Allan Ferguson Comments On Green Fees In Scotland
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2015, 08:56:52 AM »
A guy just paid $179mm for a 2nd or 3rd tier Picasso.  Doesn't mean it was a good investment, but he wanted it and he got it.  People pay thousands of dollars for brand name wines. It just means rich people like brand names, not that every interesting wine or artists work is going to get bid up.

Good example. Is there a bigger brand in Art than Picasso? 

Part of his appeal to the rich is it's a lot easier to authenticate his work, compared to an old master.
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2015, 09:19:51 AM »
If you think I am wrong consider how differently golfers act at Pebble vs Cypress. An audition reveals something more than an audit. Sorry but it is that simple.

Yes, and neither of these courses are going to bust the bank balance of the average man ;) John, I agree on much of what you are saying but trying to peddle the US courses as attracting a better class of golfer for a lower price is an elitist crock of s@*t I'm afraid.

Jon

From what I can recall Cypress Point is much more affordable than Pebble.  I was set to play Cypress but had to cancel at the last second to attend a parole hearing, though have never considered playing Pebble if I would have to pay $500 and put up with the kind of golfer who does.

GLawson

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2015, 10:09:33 AM »
Unless it was my own parole hearing, I can't imagine having to miss an invite to Cypress :)

Paul Stockert

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2015, 11:11:48 PM »
Keith, thanks.  BTW which of those Irish courses did you feel ripped off by? Any? I know the thread was UK but Ireland isn't far off.  I think for the quality of the courses the fees really aren't bad.  I mean not for everyday, but for a trip. 

John, Never on pebble beach?  Because of the kind of guy that wants to play there?  Like Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer?
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2010-06/jack-nicklaus-on-design
www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-05/photos-top-10-favorite-golf-courses
I think you're pulling our chains...

It would hit the wallet hard but I definitely dream to do that trip and play there.  Hopefully before some hedge fund guys decide to try to buy it and make it private for them and their friends.  As far as cypress...well I've got some networking to do.

~ PJ

“Golf... is the infallible test. The man who can go into a patch of rough alone, with the knowledge that only God is watching him, and play his ball where it lies, is the man who will serve you faithfully and well.”
― P.G. Wodehouse

Sam Krume

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2015, 03:14:12 AM »
I think it's all about perceived value regarding the green fee. If somebody wants to play these championship courses, walk and play shots from where there heroes have played from, then hey hoe. I have been very lucky to play all but two of the uk's top 20. Some I payed full whack, some were on reduced winter rates and others guests or for free. For the full whack, it was the realisation of ticking of certain courses that I had yearned to play for years. Yes I payed £130 to play TOC but you know what, it was worth every penny.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »
It would hit the wallet hard but I definitely dream to do that trip and play there.  Hopefully before some hedge fund guys decide to try to buy it and make it private for them and their friends. ...

Apparently you don't know the regs don't make that possible.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back