News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Homsey

Easy.  Complete the golf course long range plan developed over a 10-15 year period by Ian Andrew, and supported by our superintendent, green committee, and club by-laws.

Stephen Davis

Broadmoor GC (Colorado Springs)

I would just restore the original Ross 18. The routing was fantastic and the holes look amazing! I would then hire one of the treehouse's favorite architects to create a new 18 using the Jones holes on the other side of the road. The Ross 18 would immediately be a Top 100 course and the new course could potentially be as well. Here is the original routing of the Ross 18. Check out the strategy created by some fantastic bunkering. Holes 6 and 7 look like they would have been a blast to play.

Sam Morrow

While there are several things I'd like to do from a maintenance standpoint I honestly wouldn't change anything right now. My reasoning is that the club is in a very healthy financial state and has one of the friendliest vibes you'll ever find.

Sometimes the status quo is a great thing.

Andrew Buck

I'll play.

I'll also play in a manner that says I need the club to be viable financially in the small(er) market it exists, so a full scale renovation is almost certainly off the table. 

In reality, I'd  interview someone like Dave Esler to put together a long term plan, depending on cost. 

Assuming I'd go at it myself, I'd do the following near term:

-  Remove about 40% of the trees planted when our newer 9 was built (now 35 years old), including almost every tree within 40 yards of a green.

-  Increase use of native areas for both budget, visual and strategy purposes.  There are some "shorter" dogleg holes where they planted trees everywhere in the last 100 yards to prevent "long hitters from bombing it", while some native grass through the dogleg would make me think much more than the trees.

-  We have some very interesting green surrounds mowed at fairway height (1 inch - bluegrass), but at that height, the ball will not roll down a hill.  I'd have the surrounds and approach mowed at 3/4 inch or slightly under.

-  Discontinue fairway striping and begin a "half and half pattern", not only because it looks better, IMO, but because it's easier to reverse and not need cross mowing to prevent "laying over" grass when mowed at 1 inch.

Gib_Papazian

Pat,

That is so strange., One of my first thoughts was Mucci would restore the 7th hole at GCMC. I remember you showed me the overgrowth where the bunkers had been and we both agreed that Doak was making a mistake by not insisting it be properly restored.

Now, if I happened to be a member at PV - a bit of a long shot living 2,500 miles away - I'd clear out all those trees to the left of #13 and restore those bunkers. You can still see them clearly in the pine grove.

I'd also restore #17 at PV, which also makes a good deal of sense.

Back to Olympic:

Once we fix those incorrect rough lines on the Lake Course, I would straighten around the 15th on the Ocean, which ought to be the best hole on the golf course. Unfortunately, when the green was moved forward to extend the driving range, Bill Love shaped the surrounds of the green complex as if the soil was clay instead of sand. The bunkers on the right only serve to harass weaker players who cut the ball - leaving too little room to run the ball in.

Now the bombshell: I would unhitch the Country Club from the City Club (they used to operate far more separately than now) and restore our autonomy. Lakeside was never meant to be an el cheapo alternative by joining the City club to avoid paying CCFAD fees. We are absolutely overrun and the place resembles a resort course on a crowded holiday most of the time - and good luck finding a spot on our enormous driving range to hit a couple balls.

As long as I'm dictator, the club would purchase some land outside of Half Moon Bay against the hills and construct two courses as planned by our departed Superintendent. One would be a revenue producing public course, the other private for the members. I'm sure it would pencil because Half Moon Bay Links is an absurd rip and with a reasonably maintainable course, the public track would pencil with $65 green fees on the weekend.

The downstairs bar lacks Anchor Steam on tap - an egregious omission for a club in San Francisco. That would be rectified on Day #1.

A weekly putting contest would be inaugurated at the Cliff Course green - everybody throws $10 in the hat and winner take all.

More later.     

Jason Topp

Anything I would do would depend on revenues and expenses but in the very hypothetical situation where those considerations were cast aside, this would be my punch list:

1.  Create a winter practice area with simulators, a short game/green area and a bar.  We have an old horse barn that would theoretically be the perfect size for such a facility.

2.  Redesign the practice range so that the primary tees face Northwest and Southeast so that there is usually an option to hit the ball directly into the wind.

3.  Hold a beauty contest and seek proposals from selected architects struggling for work to (1) redesign the course to create more variety in hole lengths; (2) relocate the bunkers to create a more strategic test from tee to green; (3) make the course more playable for higher handicap players; and (4) create a bit more natural look. 

In the real world, I would probably limit myself to item 1.  The course is good as is and I have a great time there. 

Bill Brightly

Upon reflection, I won't bench people for not knowing about Macdonald and Raynor. Penalty is paying for drinks and lunch for your foursome.

The following offenses require you to buy one round of drinks for everyone at the bar that day:

1. Complaining that the bunker sand is inconsistent.

2. Asking how fast the greens are stimping.

3. Suggesting that flowers be planted. (2 drink penalty.)

4. Asking that the grass/weeds be cut low near the pond.  2 drink penalty if you ask for fountains to be installed in pond.

5. Complaining about the greens being aerated. 2 drink penalty if you mention another club that does not aerate their greens.

6. Complaining about temporary greens in the winter. Penalty imposed in June. 2 drink penalty if you mention another club that does not aerate their greens.)

BHoover

Bring in a young architect, like Mike DeVries, to see what he would do with the property across the street.

Build a squash court.

Gib_Papazian

Brian,

I've been hanging with DeVries for years and I promise you he's not "young." Not old - seeing as Mike is remarkably well preserved - but hardly a a 30-something. I'm not even sure if Eckenrode can pull off that particular moniker. I'm sure they'll take the compliment though.

Bill,

I long ago aome to the conclusion that most green committee members in America are impossibly ignorant about not only what is under the hood of a golf course, but have never devoted a micron of deep thought about the particulars of architectural strategy.

In other words, nitwits with absolutely no base of knowledge (often lawyers who think they know everything or doctors who are worse) are allowed to steer the ship, but only for a year or two - not long enough to perform a thorough analysis and effect affirmative change. The practical effect is to jam a dozen monkeys with a typewriter into a closet once a month and expect them to type Shakespeare.

Since I'm dictator, there will be a required reading list before anybody is even allowed to apply for the Green Committee.

The Liinks - Robert Hunter
Anatomy of a Golf Course - Doak
Golf Architecture in America - Thomas
Golf By Design - R.T. Jones, Jr.

In my view, that is the BARE MINIMUM. Once the newbie absorbs those books, we can start on Max Behr and Scotland's Gift. Until we get The Evangelist more accessible, I won't include it; not to be arrogant, but a lot of work went into producing something understandable to the rank & file.  

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:52:02 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tom_Doak

I am consulting now at Crystal Downs, so we will see where it goes over the next few years.

One of the things no one has said so far that's a staple for me is to PROCEED SLOWLY.  Mistakes are made when new green chairmen are too anxious to install their ideas ... these are the very problem areas that many of you are hoping to fix / restore.  The first year or two should generally be spent on getting the little things right, which helps to get everyone moving in the same direction.

I would not hold a beauty contest and seek proposals from struggling young architects.  All enquiries for such can go to Jason.  :)

BCowan

I would not hold a beauty contest and seek proposals from struggling young architects.  All enquiries for such can go to Jason.  :)

;D ;D ;D

PCCraig

The first year or two should generally be spent on getting the little things right, which helps to get everyone moving in the same direction.

Tom,

When you have a chance, could you expound on the above and what you consider to be the "little things?"

Thank you in advance.
H.P.S.

BHoover

Brian,

I've been hanging with DeVries for years and I promise you he's not "young." Not old - seeing as Mike is remarkably well preserved - but hardly a a 30-something. I'm not even sure if Eckenrode can pull off that particular moniker. I'm sure they'll take the compliment though.

Regardless of age, I'd still call him.

JMEvensky

Since I'm dictator, there will be a required reading list before anybody is even allowed to apply for the Green Committee.

In my view, that is the BARE MINIMUM. Once the newbie absorbs those books, we can start on Max Behr and Scotland's Gift. Until we get The Evangelist more accessible, I won't include it; not to be arrogant, but a lot of work went into producing something understandable to the rank & file.  

I tried this with only a "suggestion" they start with Anatomy. All it did was solidify my reputation as a know-it-all asshole. You can my imagine how well my idea to follow the maintenance staff at 5:00 on a Saturday morning went over.

Garland Bayley

Begin to move the club to a walking only policy such as at Bandon. Only medical exemptions eventually allowed for carts. Begin reducing the cart paths by making paths between holes do double duty, with traffic in both directions. With less cart usage hopefully passing carts off path would not damage turf. Eventually remove all cart paths, as turf should be able to withstand the minimal traffic from medical exempt riding only.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

Limit totally if possible, or at least minimise as much as possible, any involvement (interference) by members and especially members committees. Ensure knowledgable, experienced, keen and smart staff are recruited to run the club and let them get on with it themselves. If they're any good they'll run the place efficiently and have plenty of ideas to improve it as well. If they don't, hire others who will. No micro-management though. Direct/supervise and delegate only. Avoid micro-mamagement.
atb

JMEvensky

Begin to move the club to a walking only policy such as at Bandon. Only medical exemptions eventually allowed for carts. Begin reducing the cart paths by making paths between holes do double duty, with traffic in both directions. With less cart usage hopefully passing carts off path would not damage turf. Eventually remove all cart paths, as turf should be able to withstand the minimal traffic from medical exempt riding only.

What will be the dues nut for the remaining 8 members?

Brent Hutto

I'm with JME. I look around at those 80% of my fellow members paying their $20 per round cart fees and think "thank you for your support".

Tom_Doak

I tried this with only a "suggestion" they start with Anatomy. All it did was solidify my reputation as a know-it-all asshole. You can my imagine how well my idea to follow the maintenance staff at 5:00 on a Saturday morning went over.

I appreciate the effort to sell a few books.  Apparently it goes over better at some clubs than others; the publisher has told me that often they get orders for a dozen or so books for the members of a green committee.

Garland Bayley

I'm with JME. I look around at those 80% of my fellow members paying their $20 per round cart fees and think "thank you for your support".

There are fewer and fewer riding members all the time as it is. At one point, the club was dominated by cart riders. They were in a position to get the rest of the members to subsidize them. As the demographics changed, the board took away some of their subsidy, which caused more to move on.

Other website members that have been over to play with me have noted that the course is one of the best walking courses in the area. I say go with your strength. We a blessed with weather that seldom hinders the comfort of walkers by being to hot or humid.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

The first year or two should generally be spent on getting the little things right, which helps to get everyone moving in the same direction.

Tom,

When you have a chance, could you expound on the above and what you consider to be the "little things?"

Thank you in advance.

Mowing lines cost very little to get right, and sometimes make a big difference.  Mowing HEIGHTS can also make a big difference in keeping play moving and everyone having fun.  Many clubs act as if they are going to host a U.S. Open in two months' time, and that's not fun for most of the membership.

Depending on the club, tree removal can help people see the light ... often a handful of trees is enough to make the point.  But, that's obviously much more political at some clubs than at others.

If I had my way, also, I'd address the forward tees before I even started thinking about the back tees.  I call this, "members first".

Garland Bayley

Another idea. Time cards. Saw this at Marine Golf Club in Vancouver BC. Punch in with your time card, play in 3 hours 45 minutes or less, punch out.

This is website member Sandy Smith's course.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Restore all the old Langford Bunker complexes even if at todays yardages they may be somewhat obsolete.
Remove some trees to add a few other bunkers at appropriate locations in the fairways.
Change the mow lines to accentuate that addition of bunkers, also a few tree removals to aid in this visual as well, not too many just a few pivotal ones.
Fill in the swimming pool and enlarge the driving range.

Interesting to see if Mr Doak agrees with these when he see my home course next week ;D

Tom_Doak

Restore all the old Langford Bunker complexes even if at todays yardages they may be somewhat obsolete.
Remove some trees to add a few other bunkers at appropriate locations in the fairways.
Change the mow lines to accentuate that addition of bunkers, also a few tree removals to aid in this visual as well, not too many just a few pivotal ones.
Fill in the swimming pool and enlarge the driving range.

Interesting to see if Mr Doak agrees with these when he see my home course next week ;D

Guess I shouldn't pack my bathing suit?

Peter Pallotta

"I'd address the forward tees before I even started thinking about the back tees.  I call this, 'members first'".

And you'd manage to say it with a straight face, which is even more remarkable :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back