News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Jackson

Regrassing project at Chechessee Creek
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:30:34 PM »
One of my favorite places to play golf has embarked on an aggressive regrassing project, highlit in this blog, http://www.chechesseecreekclub.com/blog.  In short, it appears that there was contamination and mutation of the original 419 of the fairways and surrounds, and herbicide is being applied, followed by regrassing the entire course with tifEagle on the greens, tifGrand on green surrounds, and celebration on fairways. 

I'm sure there are those in the know on this board.  Is there precedent to this kind of wholescale regrassing project?  I'm familiar with contamination of 419 with common bermuda, but is there something more to this i.e. the reported mutation of the bermuda?  Was this something that could have been anticipated?  Is it a problem with other courses in the region?

Wade Whitehead

Re: Regrassing project at Chechessee Creek
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 04:48:52 PM »
New Director of Operations at Chechessee Creek as well...

WW

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:24:56 AM »
Its becoming my more popular than you may think. We did it at Pine Tree in 2012 and tees/apps in 2013. We will be doing it at my next Superintendent position in 2016.
  Maintaining 419 and Common can be very difficult. Each grass takes up pesticides and fertilizers differently, grow more aggressively at different times, and playability can be great hindered, especially around greens when trying to put an/or bump and run. Depending on growth, common can scalp badly while hardly cutting the 419.
  Many courses are regressing to MORE aggressive turf (Celebration at C3) to minimize any reoccurrence of the common.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Bill Boonn

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 08:07:23 PM »
I spent the last 3 days at Chechessee Creek.  The magnitude and scale of this project is truly impressive!  I've attached a few pictures from my round on Monday.  In addition to regrassing, they have taken on a very ambitious (and welcome) tree removal project.  I could hear the buzz of the chainsaws during my rounds and it was a sweet sound indeed!  Chechessee Creek is also one of my favorite places --  the wonderful Coore Crenshaw layout, the understated clubhouse, and the low-country charm and hospitality of the entire staff.  Under Phil's new leadership, I'm confident that the club is in great hands and I can't wait to return after these renovations are complete in September!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back