News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Ratho Park GC
« on: June 23, 2018, 06:56:13 AM »
I had the pleasure of playing this course situated to the west of Edinburgh in an outing yesterday on what was ideal golfing conditions ie. sunny, slight breeze. It's a genuine parkland course set around a lovely old Grade A listed manor house with many old trees dotted here and there, supplemented by some younger specimens. Don't think it is heavily wooded, it's not, but the entire property including clubhouse and practice facilities (hit anything up to a 8 iron !) extends to 100 acres so playing corridors aren't hugely extensive. They are however ample enough.

Designed by Braid in 1928, the course isn't taxing but it is challenging. With the recent good weather the ball was rolling on the fairways and the greens were as about as fast as you'd like them. Certainly fast enough to show off some really nicely contoured greens and the ground itself has some nice elevation changes. The rough too was also cut well down which made finding the ball and playing it much easier.

I'd not heard anything special about the course so was very pleasantly surprised. I'd say it played as good as it probably could yesterday in terms of the conditions but suspect it would play well even with the ground a bit heavier than it was. All in all an enjoyable day and one I'd be happy to repeat.

Anyone else played Ratho Park ?

Niall

Michael Graham

Re: Ratho Park GC
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 11:06:38 AM »
Niall,

I was a member at Ratho for years before joining Mortonhall. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. The par brigade knock it because of its par of 69. Despite its lack of length it’s no pushover. It’s been a few years since I last played it but I believe they’ve invested quite heavily on the course.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:43:18 AM »
Michael

I had a quick chat with the pro before going out and he was a bit vague about what they had actually done other than the pond (complete with fountain) on the par 3 (15th ?) which was OK in a Florida/Costa del Sol kind of way but horribly out of keeping with the rest of the course. Beyond that I think they have done some bunkering work but what exactly wasn't clear.

The other thing that made it enjoyable was some pin positions that if you got them in a medal there would be a lynching party out looking for the greenkeeper, but for an outing they just added to the enjoyment/challenge.

With regards to yardage I deliberately didn't mention that or par in my OP because I know that some are prejudiced against anything that isn't a par 72, c.7000 yard "norm". In fact one of the better golfers who plays in the outing declined to play as the course wasn't long enough. Given the par 4 first and the par 4 third are both driveable for the flatbelly's I'd have thought that would have been an attraction for a big hitter but some people are stuck playing a numbers game.

Niall

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 07:51:41 AM »
I have some friends who are members there so play every once and while. I think the main work they have been doing on the course is drainage works to try and cope with the winter a bit better.

Some nice holes, the 'drivable' par 4 3rd  is pretty easy to bogey if you get above the hole! 7th up the hill is a fun hole. I very much like that they always take the trouble to mow under the trees so you don't spend your life searching for balls but still may need to chip out after a bad shot.

Must get back there soon.

Ian 

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 08:16:18 AM »
Ian

I'm generally rubbish with hole numbering but if the 7th is the hole with the green playing uphill over the road and near the entrance then that probably is the best green on the course even though, whisper it, it's a plateau green.

Niall

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 09:39:12 AM »
Yep, your memory is correct. The hole demands an accurate drive too with the trees getting in your head both sides. Mr Braid did love a plateau green....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back