News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

If rankings were done in real time...
« on: April 30, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »
would Shadow Creek be number one this Saturday?  What other courses can be a legitimate number one in the world on a given day?  Please spare me the any round with your Dad or Chicago Golf during a Cubs World Series fantasies.  Real world examples only.

Jon Wiggett

Re: If rankings were done in real time...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
World number one in what exactly John???

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 04:12:17 PM »

The finest course in the world to play that day.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »
That is kind of funny. I have a saying that goes "Its the best course I'm going to play that day"
A couple November's ago that course was Lawrence Country Club ;)

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »
If you're that excited about the fight, there are plenty of places you could play and then take a chartered jet to still be at the MGM in time for the bell.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »

The finest course in the world to play that day.

Could be any course depending on what you wanted I guess.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »
LACC North and the Rose Bowl?  I did Olympic Club and the World Series one day. That was pretty solid. Could've played Chicago Golf and gone to the NFL Draft today.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 08:40:21 PM »
Last fall, in New York, Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Centre Orchestra had a whole night (but just one night) dedicated to the music of Paul Simon -- with the band playing half his greatest hits and with Paul Simon himself singing the other half, backed by Wynton's band. There is no place else anywhere but New York where a night like that could happen, and so on that day, before the concert, Long Island's NGLA was the greatest golf course in the world.
Peter

Josh Tarble

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 08:19:52 AM »
Augusta CC during Masters week has to be pretty high up there.

I'm biased but Brickyard Crossing during Indy 500 practice is sweet too.

GLawson

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 08:54:08 AM »
It's a little obscure but Carnegie Abbey in Rhode Island during 4th of July in 2002 was awesome.  Bristol, close by, has the oldest parade in the country.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 09:05:23 AM »
Digging deep here:

Peachtree GC during the 96 Olympics

Morfontaine during the 98 World Cup

Durban CC or Humewood during the 10 World Cup

Swinley Forest during the 12 Olympics

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 10:30:52 AM »
Harbour Town looked pretty sweet last week, and intimidating. Looked like the canopies of trees were encroaching more than I remember.

Gary Sato

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »
I doubt many panelists are going to be playing Shadow Creek this weekend.

I do think any course on TV would immediately jump up. Augusta would soar off the charts.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 10:53:48 AM »
Links Magazine did (or does) rankings in real time.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

john_stiles

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 11:00:21 AM »

If you were number 1,  it might be Harding Park if you had a jet on hot standby.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »
How about:

1. Streamsong then Mons Venus
2. SF Golf then Mitchell Brothers
3. Garden City then Scores
4. Chicago Golf then the Admiral

Keeping with the Vegas theme, of course....;-)

Sounds like this fight is being promoted to really kickstart boxing yet again.
This is the first time in my life that I could not tell you who is the heavyweight champion of the world. Corruption and greed have given this sport what it deserves while MMA filled the market demand for a blood sport. Free market economy at work.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 11:33:12 AM »
San Francisco Golf Club, June 20th 1987

7:30am 3 ball, followed by 3hrs gambling in the stands behind the 15th green during US Open across the lake, then followed by one of my favorite Grateful Dead shows ever at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley that evening.

Nothing, in my mind, could ever rank higher!! 8)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Brad Tufts

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 01:01:55 PM »

This is the first time in my life that I could not tell you who is the heavyweight champion of the world. Corruption and greed have given this sport what it deserves while MMA filled the market demand for a blood sport. Free market economy at work.

Not that I'm any great boxing fan, but it seems like the age of the heavyweight ended when the Klitschkos promised their mama they would never fight each other, or when one of them married Hayden Panettiere, or both.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Rees Milikin

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 08:44:11 PM »
How about:

1. Streamsong then Mons Venus
2. SF Golf then Mitchell Brothers
3. Garden City then Scores
4. Chicago Golf then the Admiral

Keeping with the Vegas theme, of course....;-)

Mons Venus and Space Odyssey (only if you have access to the VIP spaceship).

JimB

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 09:56:04 PM »
then followed by one of my favorite Grateful Dead shows ever at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley that evening.

I was there.  :)

Steve Lapper

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 05:52:35 AM »
JimB,

As you know...it was an epic show.. Opening with a Hell in A Bucket into a rippin' Franklin's Tower before getting down NMB, Loser, Bird Song then onto Iko Iko, LLR, Deal, Gimme Some Loving,  Watchtower, Wheel Wharf Rat, etc.... All under a beautiful starry night!

It was also the first day I had ever stepped foot on SFGC (or any AWT west of the Rockies). What an eye-opener* :o.

Having played all else around the Bay Area and raised playing all over Westchester, NY, I thought I'd gotten into McFly's DeLorean and landed in some distant and exotic arboretum-like nirvana,  broken up only by a number (more than were members!) of perfectly-shaped sandy pits. I was mesmerized and enchanted.  Most definitely one of those magical epiphanies about golf architecture that lasted for a lifetime. And all of this before the natural mind-alterations to follow that day. ;)

Later, sitting in the stands at Olympic and doing golf's version of "Fear and Loathing," I started blathering about the strategic values at SFGC to all within earshot. It was a mere miracle I wasn't hauled out and given the pre-Birdman heave-ho. In hindsight, it's pure luck that not once did the thought of course rankings ever cross my mind....or my mug would be on a most-wanted poster etched into some irrigation pump box behind an outhouse out there!

All in all, a most glorious and seminal day in the continuing education of golf course architecture junkie--pre-moron---Dead Head 8) 8)

*Eventual Iris Dilator

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Patrick_Sisk,_CGCS

JimB

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 03:18:36 PM »
Amazing day Steve. My preparation was a bit different than yours though. ;)

While that was a great show this remains my favorite. Full moon Friday the 13th. Second set opens with Scarlet-Touch-Fire. Dark Star encore..

https://archive.org/details/gd84-07-13.sbd.ferguson.353.sbeok.shnf
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 03:37:58 PM by JimB »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back