News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Photo of the Month Thread-April 2015
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »
Here is an image from Atlantic City country club, of the 4th hole, looking past the green toward the strip. My intent is to toss up a photo of the month for the remainder of 2015. I'll do my best to vary the images. Others may contribute their own work if they like.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:30:19 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Norbert P

Re: Photo of the Month Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:40:03 PM »
 Nice shot.  Can you tell us something about that moment?

Hope I'm not distracting with a little AC history.       . . . 

http://kellysgolfhistory.blogspot.com/2011/07/atlantic-city-country-club-historical.html
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
You bet, Norbert. I took the shot in early April of this year. It was a bit overcast, a bit windy, but an enjoyable golfing day. The tee for the whole is about fifty yards behind where I was, but to the right. The hole runs parallel to the marsh and plays some 140 yards from the tips. I expected much from ACCC and enjoyed it even more than I anticipated. I would encourage all to make an effort to play there. Like all shore courses, they have some issues with summer insects, so pick a windy, summer day or get there in May or the fall to avoid the critters.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »
Ron: To be clear, only photos taken in the month in question (i.e., April for this thread) qualify, and only one photo per person, correct?
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
Ha ha...I'm not that much of a stickler, Ben. You can submit a photo each month and I'm not concerned when it was taken. No prizes here, just an opportunity to share. Hopefully, people will say why they like or dislike a photo, in a courteous way.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »
From the architect himself...Tom Doak, from somewhere on the planet, forwarded this image for inclusion. His words~

It's the 18th hole at Tara Iti in New Zealand, photographed on opening day, April 13, 2015.

The hole is a medium par-5 and the shot is from the fairway landing area, just before it necks down for the second shot.  Green is on a natural plateau, with a sandy bank behind it.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:52:58 PM »
Actually, I just realized the photo is Larry Lambrecht's, and was taken a couple of months ago.  Sorry for the error.  I took some two weeks ago myself, but none that were as good as this one.  Mostly I was just enjoying playing golf.

John Kirk

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 09:23:24 PM »
Ooo, the Tara-Iti golf hole looks great.  Really pretty.

Ronald, is the fourth hole at Atlantic City a short par 3?  Is the green as small as it looks?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »
It measures 144-131-120-113. The green is not minuscule; the 12th is a bit shorter and has a bit smaller green.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 09:42:23 PM »
Ha ha...I'm not that much of a stickler, Ben. You can submit a photo each month and I'm not concerned when it was taken. No prizes here, just an opportunity to share. Hopefully, people will say why they like or dislike a photo, in a courteous way.

I didn't mean to suggest you were a stickler, Ron. I actually thought the "terms" implicit in your initial post--and explicit in my follow-up post--made for a really great idea. Wouldn't it be cool to have photos submitted from all over the world taken in specific months to see what golf courses look like at different times of year? And I like a one-photo-per-person limitation, as it ensures that these monthly threads remain distinct from photo tours (and forces the poster to be more self-critical and discriminating than normal). The terms, in short, would give the thread a distinct purpose, as opposed to just another opportunity to post multiple favorite pictures from whenever.
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 10:08:56 PM »
With apologies for being that guy and breaking the rules, I was too conflicted to choose, so here are two photos I took this month.

The first is the wonderful 5th at Pinehurst No. 2 (shamefully bastardized into a par 5 following the U.S. Open, for even the general public, but still a wonderful and very pretty hole, especially early in the morning).

April 3rd, 2015 - Pinehurst, NC

The second is the 5th at Dormie, also stunning in the early morning sun.

April 4th, 2015 - West End, NC
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 10:33:38 PM »
Thanks to the photographers, thanks to the superintendents, and thanks to the clouds, or the dappled sky, or to the morning sun.

Peter

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 11:02:32 PM »

No.3 Prairie Dunes CC

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 05:08:29 AM »
April 8th, 2015 - 5th hole, West Course, The Royal Melbourne Golf Club

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:11:09 AM by Ben Jarvis »
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Hugh Griffin

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 07:33:20 AM »
I don't post often but i love these photo threads (Tara Iti looks phenomenal...).

As an Australian I also got to tick off some bucket list items this month (lets hope my photo posting ability works):

1. Pacific Dunes - 4th

2. Augusta National - 13th

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:41:19 AM by Hugh Griffin »

Charlie Ray

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 08:59:39 AM »
The sandbelt course always present a welcomed unique look.  Concerning Eric's photo of RM West #5, does the centerline slope in front of the green take away the run-up option?  The hole (perhaps just this particular photo; shadows) seems to require a total carry to the green.  Which causes me to ask the following question:  Is it a common architectural feature to deceive the golfer that the hole encourages a ground run-up approach shot, but not allow it because of the severity of a slide slope?   Are does this photo just deceive me?  The area front right of the green seems like an very small target.

Jason Topp

Re: Photo of the Month Thread-April 2015
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 09:41:48 AM »
A slightly different theme but relevant to the future of the industry.  Top Golf - Dallas, TX, April 24, 2015.  We had to open up my son's stance a bit to get rid of left by left shots such as this one:

Howard Riefs

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
Aiken Golf Club (S.C.), 8th hole, April 13th, 2015 

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John Kirk

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 01:55:50 PM »
Hugh,

Those are wonderful pictures.  In particular, the Pacific Dunes picture is very nice, as good pictures of the 13th at Augusta National are more common.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 02:14:05 PM »
Hugh,

Those are wonderful pictures.  In particular, the Pacific Dunes picture is very nice, as good pictures of the 13th at Augusta National are more common.

+1

Also, since I don't know when I'll get a chance to play Pac Dunes, let me thank Tom D now for designing an ocean on the *right side* of the 4th fairway....

Peter

Joe Bausch

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 02:53:49 PM »
From just short of the 10th green at Kennett Square (Ross) with the nearby 17th and 8th flags in the background (picture taken last Sunday, and it is clickable to a much larger size):

That pic would really improve with a drone so you could see these three greens are about 60 yards apart total!

However, here is a nice view of the 8th and 17th greens from the 17 fairway, with the 10th green flag visible to the right:

If you want to see the rest of this course where the presentation was spot-on, go here:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/KennettSquare/

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:04:00 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
No worries, Jon, the "rules" haven't been set yet by Ron (just suggested by me) and you complied with the most important/interesting one--that the picture be taken in the month in question (I see Ron has updated the thread title accordingly, which is great).

Charlie, I don't want to speak for Ben, but having been fortunate enough to play Royal Melbourne last summer, I can say that the 5th on the West Course is, effectively if not actually, an all-carry par-3. Hypothetically, you could try to hit a low rocket and bump it into the huge false front, but I'm not sure why you would try that--remember, it is a par-3, so the shot would be from off the tee and more than 170 yards away. And the hole in way deceives the golfer into thinking that is a realistic option. Again, it's a par-3, so players are thinking about an all-carry shot anyway, and the fronting slope is so severe--and visible from the tee--that there is no deception at all. MacKenzie wasn't opposed to all forced carries, and I think they are more appropriate on par-3s (see, e.g., CPC 16, Yale 9).

My contribution comes from Easter Sunday at Knickerbocker Country Club, a "hidden" Donald Ross gem that is finally getting the recognition it deserves, hosting the New Jersey Amateur and being named Club of the Year by the renowned Metropolitan Golf Writers Association, both last year (which was Knickerbocker's centennial). Apart from the fall, early spring is my favorite time to play and see golf courses in the northeast, as the bones of the course--without foliage on the trees--are at their most visible. As for the trees themselves, the absence of foliage allows the beauty of their structure and bark to shine. Notably, the Local Flora course at Yale is offered in the second semester (i.e., winter and early spring), when tree identification--via trunk, bark, and twigs--is actually easiest. Easter Sunday was a mostly cloudy day, with subpar light for photographing the course, but the dark conditions, together with the skeletal appearance of the trees, made for a haunting setting. And I have come to appreciate the almost metallic appeal of flat-light scenes. I had a few other candidates to post here, but I chose the below picture because it showcases what Ross and Knickerbocker are all about--pushed-up, back-to-front sloping greens--but with a few twists that distinguish the pictured green from most others at Knickerbocker.

The pictures captures the par-3 6th green complex, which, unlike most of the greens at Knickerbocker, sits diagonal to the tee box. Despite appearances, it actually plays as one of the more forgiving greens on the course. The huge pushed-up back side of the green rightfully gets all the attention, but the much lower right side is actually slightly elevated above the green surface as well, creating a bathtub effect--i.e., balls landing on the green have a good chance to get close to most pin locations. Again, this is unlike most of the greens at Knickerbocker, which are strictly back-to-front. The 6th green is also smaller than most of the greens at Knickerbocker. The pushed-up sides also make recoveries easier than they might appear. Obviously, from the right, chips or bunker shots can use the huge slope at the back to funnel balls close to the hole. But even from the seemingly dead left--i.e., beyond the huge cliff--a blind flop shot back over the cliff will hold the green because of the smaller upslope on the other side of the green. It is a fun, visually appealing, and photogenic par-3 at any time of year. The uphill par-4 7th hole is in the background.

April 5, 2015 at Knickerbocker Country Club (Donald Ross 1914), Tenafly, NJ, Hole 6

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »
The short par 4 17th at Huntingdon Valley (Pennsylvania) Country Club:

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 08:08:43 PM »
I like this one of the 2nd at Sandwich.  The odd bits of centralized colour contrasted with the vast horizon gets my eye moving through the scene quite well. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Jason Way

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 09:08:21 PM »
April 28, 2015 - Made the trek out to Apache Stronghold with Dave Zinkand. Truly magical place.

"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back