News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Hyslop

Canadian Golf Magazine's Top 100 Canadian Courses
« on: April 23, 2015, 03:18:52 PM »
Well Cabot Links has reached the pinnacle of Canadian golf courses according to Canadian Golf Magazine and Highland Links has recovered to the number four spot. Check it out.
http://canadiangolfmagazine.com/courses-travel/top-100-golf-courses-2015/
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Garland Bayley

Re: Canadian Golf Magazine's Top 100 Canadian Courses
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 08:14:12 PM »
...Highland Links has recovered to the number four spot. ...

I take it Ian has something to do with that. Good on him.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:07:06 AM »
It has always struck me that Quebec has very few rated courses.  I suspect it has to do with the French versus English heritage.  

Will be visiting Quebec City this summer for their spectacular summer music fest.  QC is one of my favorite destinations.  Less than a days drive from most of the northeast and you're in Europe.  Will leave the clubs behind though.  Oh, did I mention the summer fest is $90 or so for all venues including the Rolling Stones!.  Looking forward to it.

http://www.infofestival.com/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:11:17 AM by Cliff Hamm »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:34:26 AM »
Very proud of good guy Rod Whitman, Cabot Links #1!, Blackhawk at #16, Sagebrush at #17 and Wolf Creek at #43.  Impressive body of work. 

Mike Bowen

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 01:47:07 PM »
I'd like to echo Bill's comments.  Rod seems to be a true throwback and the current trends in architecture should only grow his popularity.  Really hope I someday get to play Sagebrush someday.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 05:24:52 PM »
It has always struck me that Quebec has very few rated courses.  I suspect it has to do with the French versus English heritage.  

Will be visiting Quebec City this summer for their spectacular summer music fest.  QC is one of my favorite destinations.  Less than a days drive from most of the northeast and you're in Europe.  Will leave the clubs behind though.  Oh, did I mention the summer fest is $90 or so for all venues including the Rolling Stones!.  Looking forward to it.

http://www.infofestival.com/

I am a native of the province of Quebec. In actual fact Quebec just doesn't have a whole lot of good golf. The Montreal area is in the Saint Lawrence valley and is flat as a pancake.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 08:46:44 PM »
I just noticed the HUGE drop of National Golf Links on the Golfweek Modern List for 2015: http://golfweek.com/news/2015/apr/08/golfweeks-best-canadian-modern-2015/

I don't know if this is an anti-Fazio maneuver, but it is very surprising.

I'm also puzzled by the 15-spot gap on the Classic List between two Travis courses, Lookout Point and Cherry Hill: http://golfweek.com/news/2015/apr/08/golf-courses-golfweeks-best-canada-classic-2015/. The distinction isn't that massive in my estimation.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »
Certainly the most egregious omission is Laval's Blue Course.  Combined with Park Jr's Green Course, the answer to the question 'what is Canada's best 36-hole facility,' is easily answered.  Which modern course in Canada is better? Well, maybe none of them.

As for the question re National... it's hard to explain the drop but it's hardly a course I would enjoy playing every day.  I wonder if more international raters, golfers who have seen Fazio's best across the United States, just didn't see The Nash as anything special.

Comparing Cherry Hill and Lookout.. I preferred Lookout.  Let's go play both again!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 10:42:54 PM »
Certainly the most egregious omission is Laval's Blue Course.  ...

??? It's there at number 78. Did you miss it?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 11:32:20 PM »
Certainly the most egregious omission is Laval's Blue Course.  ...

??? It's there at number 78. Did you miss it?

I was looking at Golfweek's list.

Placing it at 78 is far worse than saying it simply didn't get enough votes.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 09:06:05 AM »
Combined with Park Jr's Green Course, the answer to the question 'what is Canada's best 36-hole facility,' is easily answered. 
I haven't played Laval but my answer to that question would be Devil's P&P. Or in two months Cabot L&C. And Osprey Valley has pretty good courses as well.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 09:21:03 AM »
You would think a Canadian golf magazine would know how to spell Mike Weir's name. And I am not sure there classification of public access courses is correct - they include Bigwin on this list for example.

Some interesting things to note - Hamilton is at 11 which seems kind of low. Glen Abbey is way down at 73. Copper Creek at 40?  It shouldn't be on the list.

Good to see my home course of Scarboro at 40.

I haven't played much golf in Quebec but I don't think they have seen the quality of courses built in the last forty years that you have seen in Ontario. In Ontario you have great new private courses that have been built, like Devils, National, Coppinwood, etc plus publics like Eagle's Nest and then lots of very good courses in Muskoka. Quebec had some building in the Mt. Tremblant area but they haven't been as well received.

There are some great classic courses like Bruno, but they don't seem to play the ratings game.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
You would think a Canadian golf magazine would know how to spell Mike Weir's name. And I am not sure there classification of public access courses is correct - they include Bigwin on this list for example.

Some interesting things to note - Hamilton is at 11 which seems kind of low. Glen Abbey is way down at 73. Copper Creek at 40?  It shouldn't be on the list.

I've never heard of this Magazine. Is it online only?

Tobiano ahead of Hamilton is.....wow, just wow.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »
I haven't played a lot of golf in Canada but I have been really impressed by what I have played, and it's been coast to coast!

Victoria, Royal Colwood, Marine Drive and Capilano.    Cabot Links and Highland Links.   Victoria and Cabot Links both right on the water, exciting stuff. 

Very little inland golf but Sagebrush wasn't bad!   ;D

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »
But Sagebrush is kind of NLE, at least temporarily.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 07:59:58 AM »
But Sagebrush is kind of NLE, at least temporarily.

Let's hope that gets sorted out this summer. 

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 03:16:55 PM »
Is Tobiano as good as Sagebrush??? I find that hard to believe, but....
Mr Hurricane

Jon Heise

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 04:43:01 PM »
I'll be looking for a suggestion in Montreal if anyone has one.  Will be there in two weeks.  There seems to be some nice options, but would love to hear what is interesting within an hour's drive from downtown...
I still like Greywalls better.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 07:51:01 PM »
IMHO the best course is Willie Park Jr.'s Mt. Bruno but it is private and relatively exclusive for a Canadian club. It is the only club that I have played in Canada where you have to wear knee highs with shorts. If you belong to a club then your pro may be able to get you on.

There is also Laval which was recently redone by Ian Andrew and Mike Wier[sic].

KBanks

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 09:46:12 AM »
Jon: I agree with Wayne re Mount Bruno - a superb Willie Park course with interesting greens and an attractive old world atmosphere. Another very good course in Pointe Claire is Beaconsfield. They are both well worth playing, but if limited to one round Bruno would be the choice. It is special.

Ken

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 11:28:35 AM »

Jim,

Tobiano is very scenic and takes advantage of the views of Kamloops Lake. It plays very differently than Sagebrush in that at Tobiano, there is very little of the running game as at Sagebrush. Also, from my two games at Tobiano, it is surprising how lush the fairways are considering the arid climate around Kamloops. The greens at Tobiano are no where near as interesting as those at Sagebrush.

If you are in the area, the two courses are less than an hour's drive apart.

Hope you are well!

Bob J

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back