News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Bobby Weed is posted
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
Pete Dye in his Feature Interview on this site notes that ‘variety’ is a key tenet to good design. In judging an architect’s body of work, doesn’t the same yardstick apply?

That’s what screams out from this month’s Feature Interview: the diversity of Bobby Weed’s work. A Dye protégé, you’ll find photographs of Bobby’s original work in a slew of different locales: a quintessential American pastoral setting in the hills of Virginia, in Texas, and TPC courses in Connecticut and Japan. You’ll see restoration work high in the mountains of North Carolina and in the middle of Indiana at my favorite U.S. nine hole course. There is his complete overhaul of Deltona in Florida, as visually transformational as it gets. In between, he built the short course at Olde Farm (see Bart Bradley’s profile of it under In My Opinion) to boot. Two big 'ticks' for geographic dispersion + types of work (short/9 holer/18 holer/restoration/renovation). There is no pigeonholing or stereotyping his portfolio, a laudable attribute for a man who has been in the business for 35 plus years.

A former Green Keeper, you can expect Bobby’s designs to drain well and function properly. Unlike some architects who might be more quixotic than real world, Bobby gets what drives long term sustainability, as found in this answer: “We have a somewhat trite saying around our office: “The first step to sustainability is profitability.” The essence of that notion is that any operating strategy - for any course - needs to be financially self-sufficient in order to persist for the long term.”   That seems self-evident today but back in the mid-2000s, any and everything went, right up until it didn’t!

By my count, the 270 yard 8th is one of eight ½ par holes at Olde Farm. Should the golfer take a swipe at the green/higher right side or lay up down the lower left side?

As a member of Olde Farm and Grandfather Mountain where Bobby is working, Bart Bradley (who helped compile this Feature Interview) notes, ‘Bobby’s brings a broad basis of knowledge to every project, from design to drainage, grasses, and land plans. Plus he worked for one of the all-time greats. He has great imagination and is a problem solver. What more could you want? We are lucky to have him.’

Indeed -  see what you think of this month’s Feature Interview!

Best,

Rees Milikin

Re: Feature Interview with Bobby Weed is posted
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:58:05 PM »
I have only had the opportunity to play his restoration & renovation work in FL, but the work he has done at those 3 put them near the top of my list of favorite places to play in FL: Palatka, Deltona, & Timuquana.

Thanks for the excellent interview and looking forward to playing Culver.

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 09:55:09 AM »
Last summer I played Stoneridge in Minnesota for the first time in 5 years.  It is a course I have always held in very high regard.  I believe it is the most strategic course in Minnesota.  There is some sort of decision to make on nearly every shot on the course.  The greens have some of the most interesting contours I have played on a modern course.  The course has 6 or 7 half par holes by my count but still has plenty of "normal" length holes which is something I often find lacking on Coore/Crenshaw courses.  It is also unique in that the 8th hole returns to the clubhouse and the 9th plays away.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
Last summer I played Stoneridge in Minnesota for the first time in 5 years.  It is a course I have always held in very high regard.  I believe it is the most strategic course in Minnesota.  There is some sort of decision to make on nearly every shot on the course.  The greens have some of the most interesting contours I have played on a modern course.  The course has 6 or 7 half par holes by my count but still has plenty of "normal" length holes which is something I often find lacking on Coore/Crenshaw courses.  It is also unique in that the 8th hole returns to the clubhouse and the 9th plays away.

Jason,

I agree with most of your comments above. Stoneridge is a lot of fun and a very good modern golf course.
H.P.S.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »
Interviews are always interesting and there's a particularly nice line in this one - "Greens are the face of the portrait"
atb

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »
Good article and interview.
 I have played a little Weed and I have to say that Deltona was  wonderful, the sandiness of the site and the placement of the bunkering made it a very tactical driving experience.
 I also thought the restoration work at Timuquana was phenomenal, the Ross character was evident in spades and it is just a blast to play, very sandy and firm with all manner of great recovery options around the greens. The par 5 6th hole there is pure genius,  a double dog leg where a good drive sets up all sorts of possibilities from eagle to complete disaster. The higher handicap player can make par while the scratch golfer will have a high pucker factor executing a 2nd shot, all carry over a hazard with trouble all around the green if the shot is long.  One of the most intriguing par 5's in all of Florida.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
Bobby was my first boss ... he was the superintendent and construction superintendent at Long Cove in 1981.

I have not seen too much of his work, unfortunately.  I do hope to see Stoneridge before I am done with volume 3 of my book.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 06:39:19 PM »
Bobby was my first boss ... he was the superintendent and construction superintendent at Long Cove in 1981.

I have not seen too much of his work, unfortunately.  I do hope to see Stoneridge before I am done with volume 3 of my book.

Tom.  Olde Farm really highlights Bobby's work.  Please consider checking it out.

hhuffines

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »
I met Bobby a decade ago as an architect looking at our course and then 10 years later, thanks to Bart, got to play with him at Olde Farm.  I consider myself very fortunate to learn from him twice.  Olde Farm is loads of fun and really, really good!

Gary Sato

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 10:13:26 PM »
I'm looking forward to see what he does at Medalist.  He knows it's a hornets nest so I give him credit for taking the job.  Hopefully with his relationship with Pete Dye will bring the course back to its initial greatness.

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »
Why would you think it is a hornets nest?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Gary Sato

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 10:33:41 AM »
Why would you think it is a hornets nest?

You have Greg Norman who probably is not going to like anything. Then you have a number of tour players who play there that could be vocal. Lastly you have a fairly sophisticated membership.

Greg Clark

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 12:02:22 PM »
I very much enjoyed my one play at Spanish Oaks in the Austin area.  A good routing and quite fun to play. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back