News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Hickory at the Masters
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 01:33:19 PM »
Here are a couple of previous GCA hickory threads that folks might care to look at -

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56777.0.html
&
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57418.0.html

atb

V. Kmetz

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Hello,

My good friend and college coach was a high-end collector of all things antique in golf. Over the years he amassed some 200-400 hickory clubs (his estate may still be holding them) but he always had me on the look-out for soft balata balls. I used to get him like 50 a year and we would play 3 hole primitive golf with them on the few acres between he and his brother's house. Great fun.

In the 80s and early 90s there were a few healthy hickory tournaments still around these parts. One was always at Sleeping Giant park north of New Haven and we had more informal affairs at my beloved Sunset Hill in Brookfield, which I call, "The Ol' Course"

cheers

vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 05:03:34 PM »
Back in my day you could buy real hickories on eBay for about $75 a club. That was before the hipsters found the "sport".

You still can John.

It's a shame this thread has gone the way it has, focussing on replica v original, and cost of hickory golf.  I thought GCA to be a place where we could focus on the intricacies of hickory golf around Augusta, with discussion on play with a dearth of spin. Play with modestly lofted niblicks boasting minimal bounce. Landing balls short and feeding them close to pins through use of ground contour. How the grasses and presentation mode of today impact on that.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »
Back in my day you could buy real hickories on eBay for about $75 a club. That was before the hipsters found the "sport".

You still can John.

It's a shame this thread has gone the way it has, focussing on replica v original, and cost of hickory golf.  I thought GCA to be a place where we could focus on the intricacies of hickory golf around Augusta, with discussion on play with a dearth of spin. Play with modestly lofted niblicks boasting minimal bounce. Landing balls short and feeding them close to pins through use of ground contour. How the grasses and presentation mode of today impact on that.

MM

We are talking about a guy using a hickory shafted putter on greens unlike anything most humans will ever play.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2015, 05:11:31 PM »
Did he not play a full 18 with hickories earlier in the week? Perhaps I'm mistaken...
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 05:25:47 PM »
Did he not play a full 18 with hickories earlier in the week? Perhaps I'm mistaken...

Yes he did. I'm sure some guys also let children hit tee shots during the par 3 tournament. It's all just about as interesting as modern irrigation practices used in pimento farming.

I do think it is important to pull back the curtain on replica hickories. Replica is a kind word. I plan on taking my original hickories on my upcoming visit to TopGolf. I hope that puts an end to this farce.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2015, 10:56:49 PM »
The replica vs original argument is the most ridiculous thing about hickory golf. 

Tad Moore made me a set by hand a few years ago.  I suppose I could have found a club that someone else made by hand 80 years ago.  But, I'm fairly certain Bobby Jones wasn't using 80 year old clubs - he was playing with recently made clubs. 

If you prefer to play with "antique clubs," all the more power to you.  Just don't think Bobby Jones would have done the same.

Good for Sandy having some fun at Augusta and giving himself a new challenge. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 05:03:09 AM »
To me a key aspect of playing hickory, especially if you're playing a yee olde period course that's not been modified too much, is that you get a greater appreciation of the course architecture plus how it was necessary to play back in yee olde days.

Matthew says it nicely above when he mentions the intricacies of play, the dearth of spin, modestly lofted niblicks with minimal bounce, landing balls short and feeding them into pins using the ground contour.

As to the original vrs replica/reproduction debate, well there are differences, less so (if at all?) in the woods but modern made irons have better manufacturing and better grooves, some even have a bit of cavity back! But it's the wedges where the main difference is with yee olde originals having limited loft and limited bounce. Once upon a time it was necessary for even better players to treat hazards as hazards and play away or around them. Having a thin bladed low lofted niblick in your hand to play a bunker shot makes you appreciate pretty quickly that modern bunkers (and modern 1st/2nd cut rough) with modern clubs are no longer proper hazards. There was a Feature Interview with Ari Techner a month or so ago where this was discussed - http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-ari-techner/

I hope that Sandy's example is taken forward by others, even if only to a limited extent. Imagine, wishful thinking that it may be, that at next years Masters Par-3 contest all the players play with hickories.

atb

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2015, 06:12:42 AM »
As an PGA assistant we used to lengthen clubs by cutting up old hickory shafted clubs and using lengths of the hickory shafts as plugs. God knows how many old clubs we destroyed doing this but it must have been several hundred over the 4 years I was there. I have often wondered how many collectables there might have been amongst them.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back