News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Hensley

Effect of rain on bermuda coming out of dormancy
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »
Does a lot of rain help or hurt bermuda as it comes out of dormancy? The courses around here don't overseed with rye, and we had a wet winter with almost the entire month of February having freezing temps at night and daytime temps barely in the 40s most days. I'm hearing many courses had problems with winter kill and heavy washout areas that left no grass behind.

The bermuda is starting to green but only maybe 10% of the course so far. Daytime temps are in 70s and 80, night temps 50s and 60s. But we are having heavy rains every few days. Will this help or hurt the bermuda?

Randy Thompson

Re: Effect of rain on bermuda coming out of dormancy
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 10:34:30 PM »
It depends alot on the temperatures when it rains, I have seen frequently 80% of the dormancy break in 24 hours after a warm rain. Warm days seem to raise the soil temps on the surfaces but that just doesn´t seem to be enough or its more gradual in relation to the green up compared to a warm rain.

James Bennett

Re: Effect of rain on bermuda coming out of dormancy
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 02:00:03 AM »
Soil temperature is most important in my (untrained) opinion.

If you have a lot of rain at this time, my principal concern would be the potential for other grasses to be strong and outcompete a still-dormant Bermuda/couch.  Poa and rye would love the spring rains, as would broad-leaf weeds.  Your superintendent's turf programs will be tested in such circumstances.

If you get a warm rain, it might help soil temperatures.  If you are getting cold showers, then it won't.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back