News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Impressions from a tour of Rustic Canyon
« on: April 07, 2015, 05:06:14 PM »
Quintessential golf.
Modest clubhouse
Rabbits like Royal Dublin but smaller
Turf that I found was Bermuda but looked like fescue from afar
Number 4 par three Dellish  I was told that is not the original
10 HHA
Loved how the back tees were angled differently than the forward to create challenge even though in some cases there wasn't much added distance 14 was big difference in angle and distance

Will play the course the next time!

One comment from a player I encountered. "This course is highly regarded but seems straightforward". I told him that many course evaluators love natural, quirk, and subtle features . He responded that the course sure had that.

A couple of guys commented that " it was raining". That's what they say in LA when menacing clouds are over head even though no moisture is dropping!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:46:28 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Todd Melrose

Re: Impressions of a tour of Rustic Canyon
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »
I'm with you Mike... It's a treasure for sure, and quite off the radar for many in LA.
It is "fun" golf and full of challenge too.

It's VERY untypical of a Southern California golf course

Bill_McBride

Re: Impressions from a tour of Rustic Canyon
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:30:08 PM »
Why didn't you play?   It's a long way from downtown LA to just take a look!

Greg Gilson

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:43:47 PM »
I was in LA for less than 24 hours last week transiting back to Melbourne. I was fortunate enough to convince (coerce) Tommy Naccarato to join me at Rustic. This is a fun golf course! So much thought (and relatively so little $) went into every detail. It was an honor for me to be there with Tommy & to hear him talk with SUUUUUUCH love about the course. It is another one of those places you could happily play every day!

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:59:16 PM »
Bill,

I was out to see my grandchildren and a few hours to myself opened up this morning. I messaged Tommy but it was short notice. I enjoyed the tour and input from the golfers I met there.
AKA Mayday

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
Bill,

I was out to see my grandchildren and a few hours to myself opened up this morning. I messaged Tommy but it was short notice. I enjoyed the tour and input from the golfers I met there.

Grandchildren time cannot be missed!   Hopefully you'll get to play Rustic down the road, it's a lot of fun.  The "canyon effect" is very deceptive, lots of confusion about distance enhanced by the firm conditions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back