News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

The Masters... By The Numbers
« on: April 08, 2015, 10:28:37 AM »
A friend sent me this fun list. Not sure of the source. My friend was actually there and observed Weiskopf's 13 on #12. He says it is still the most bizarre episode in golf he has ever seen.

A look at the Masters and Augusta National by the numbers:
0 - Bunkers on the 14th hole.
1 - Number of years it took Fuzzy Zoeller to win the Masters.
$1.50 - Cost of a pimiento cheese sandwich.
2 - Gene Sarazen's score on the par-5 15th hole in the 1935 Masters.
3 - Padraig Harrington's victories in the Par 3 Tournament.
4 - Tom Weiskopf's runner-up finishes at the Masters.
5 - Largest first-round lead, by Craig Wood in 1941.
6 - Green jackets won by Jack Nicklaus
$6.50 - Cost of a Masters club sandwich, beer and potato chips.
7 - Consecutive birdies made by Tiger Woods in 2005 and Steve Pate in 1999.
8 - Shots out of the lead when Jack Burke Jr. staged the largest final-round comeback to win the 1956 Masters.
9 - Jack Nicklaus' margin of victory over Arnold Palmer and Gary Player in 1965.
10 - Cabins at Augusta National where members can stay.
11 - Birdies by Anthony Kim in the second round of the 2009 Masters.
12 - Tiger Woods' margin of victory in 1997.
13 - The score taken by Tom Weiskopf on the par-3 12th hole in the 1980 Masters.
14 - Age of Guan Tianlang when he made the cut in 2013.
15 - Appearances by Mark O'Meara before he finally won the Masters in 1998.
16 - Playoffs in Masters history.
17 - Inches (estimated) how high Phil Mickelson jumped when he made birdie on the final hole in the 2004 Masters to win his first major.
18 - Strokes under par by Tiger Woods when he won the 1997 Masters.
20 - Appearances by Ernie Els without ever winning.
21 - Age of Tiger Woods when he won his first Masters.
21.5 - Seconds it took for the ball to leave Louis Oosthuizen's 4-iron until it dropped into the cup for an albatross on the second hole in 2012.
23 - Consecutive cuts made by Gary Player and Fred Couples.
33-7 - The rule Augusta National cited when it waived disqualification for Tiger Woods after he signed an incorrect scorecard in 2013.
39 - Countries that have had players compete in the Masters.
40 - Score of Tiger Woods' first nine holes as a professional.
42 - Fewest players in the field, in 1938 and 1942.
46 - Age of Jack Nicklaus when he won his last Masters.
48 - Players who have won the Masters.
50 - Consecutive years Arnold Palmer competed.
$51.99 - Room rate at the Motel 6 in Augusta on Thursday a week after the Masters.
$60 - Annual dues for members when Augusta National opened.
61 - Magnolia trees on the road that leads to the Augusta National clubhouse.
63 - Lowest 18-hole score, by Nick Price and Greg Norman.
64 - Lowest final round of a Masters champion, by Gary Player in 1978.
70 - Age of Charles Coody when he made a hole-in-one in the Par 3 Contest.
72 - Lowest score ever shot by Bobby Jones in the Masters.
95 - Highest score ever recorded at the Masters, by Charles Kunkle Jr. in 1956.
97 - Gene Sarazen's age when he hit the ceremonial first tee shot for the last time.
109 - Most players in the field, in 1962.
163 - Career rounds at Augusta National by Jack Nicklaus.
235 - Yards to the 15th hole when Gene Sarazen made an albatross in 1935 with a 4-wood.
$250 - Cost of a Masters ticket for all four rounds.
270 - Lowest 72-hole score, by Tiger Woods in 1997.
$279.99 - Room rate at the Motel 6 in Augusta on Thursday of the Masters.
$475 - Cost of a U.S. Open ticket for all four rounds.
506 - Career birdies by Jack Nicklaus.
900 - Separate pieces of silver used to make the Masters Trophy.
1,600 - Azaleas on the 13th hole (estimated).
$70,000 - Cost to buy Fruitland Nurseries, site of the golf course.
$278,000 - Earnings of Thorbjorn Olesen when he tied for sixth last year.
$279,013 - Career earnings of Arnold Palmer in 50 appearances, including four wins.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:33:51 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

Re: The Masters... By The Numbers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:00:16 AM »
13 is indeed an unlucky number.   That's the difference between Faldo's 65 and Norman's 78 in the 1996 shark disaster. 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:00:30 AM »
Michael, I'm happy to hijack this thread (sort of).

Let's analyze Mr. Payne's candid statements at the news conference, when asked about "the numbers". (See? Sort of)

I didn't hear all of it, or the leading question, but his response was "between 8 and 10 under".
 He then probably said too much. Rather than grabbing from the famous 1972 quote about identifying the best player, he used identifying a particular skill, as their justifications for course setup. I could only assume he meant putting, but am open to other theories.

He then mentioned the weather as the only thing that gets in the way of their desired outcome.

I could not help but feel sad over that. The sport of golf is officially dead on this continent.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:11:51 AM »
I could not help but feel sad over that. The sport of golf is officially dead on this continent.

And yet I'll be playing golf exactly the same this Saturday and Sunday as I've played it every other weekend for the past 20 years. Golf as I know it seems immune to Billy Payne's beliefs, to a quite remarkable extent. It's almost like he's talking about a whole 'nother game that has nothing at all to do with me or with 99% of the people reading this forum.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
I don't know about the game of golf, but the phrase "sort of" is definitely dead.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »

Let's analyze Mr. Payne's candid statements at the news conference, when asked about "the numbers". (See? Sort of)

I didn't hear all of it, or the leading question, but his response was "between 8 and 10 under".
 He then probably said too much. Rather than grabbing from the famous 1972 quote about identifying the best player, he used identifying a particular skill, as their justifications for course setup. I could only assume he meant putting, but am open to other theories.

He then mentioned the weather as the only thing that gets in the way of their desired outcome.

Adam, I saw that interview. I thought he was making a joke when he quickly answered 8-10 under, and then said that they want a "desired test" versus a "desired final score."

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 09:49:09 PM »

Adam, I saw that interview. I thought he was making a joke when he quickly answered 8-10 under, and then said that they want a "desired test" versus a "desired final score."

That is correct, Bill. He did say that when the score varied significantly to a high or low winning number it is usually weather that causes the swing... and, I would add... just like the Open Championship.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back