News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Re: William Tucker - Hudson River, Century, Wykagyl and Teugega
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 10:23:31 PM »
Hi,

Jim, isn't this the same article you posted in Reply 11?

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 10:30:17 PM »
Thanks.   :-[
Now I've got to go back and find the right one.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Phil Young

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »
I've been trying to run down whether Tilly did HRCC for a while now, as other than this article, I couldn't find anything that would confirm it. I take newspaper evidence to be the absolute last "proof" of who to assign architectural credit to. Far too often articles are incorrect or in conflict with other that are equally believable.

How to account for the discrepancy between Till & Ross? There simply may not have been one. Tilly may have been originally hired and then they changed to Ross the following year. That happened with the now gone Colonial CC in Atlanta. Ross was hired by developer Harry Ansley and articles about this can be found in the July/August 1928 editions of the Atlanta newspapers. One month later in September, these same newspapers reported that Ansley went to New York, met Tilly and hired him. How can one tell who actually designed the course? Because in this case, there are other articles in late September and onward that talk about Tilly on site designing the course, laying it out and construction beginning. Ironically it was gone forever in late 1929 as it was financed by junk bonds which the market crash made worthless. Today it is a housing development.

The only way then to definitively state which one did the course, or whether an architect did it, is to find more than one article that specifically state that the work of building it is under way and that the specific architect was responsible for the design. That is why one also can't count out Tucker for this despite what the article about Tilly & Ticker states...

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 06:20:19 PM »
Phil,

The Ross Society  has HRGC on its list, although I didn't see anything at the Tufts Archive.  How about the Tillinghast group - is it listed there?

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Phil Young

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 07:32:13 PM »
Jim,

No, its not listed among his courses on the website although we've all been looking into it for a while. John Yerger especially has been researching it.

As for the Ross having it listed... That is certainly their privilege to do so.  You might contact them to see exactly what information they have on it that would make it definitively Ross' work.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2015, 04:15:01 PM »
Hi again,

One of the charms of researching this stuff is stumbling across items like this, which appeared within a tiny box, in the center of the front page of the Herald Statesmen of July 5, 1932.

Erratic Golfer Hooks Into Train

A golfer added to the weekend fireworks worries of the police. He hooked a drive from the Dunwoodie Golf Club course through a window of the northbound New York Central Putnam Division Train 141 Saturday at 1:15pm.
    The conductor of the train notified the station agent, who called police. They searched for the golfer in vain.

In one fleeting moment, I just see the human comedy of it all and reflect that the state of the world was such, it could bear such a local item alongside the major news of the day. And now in a time of such extensive entertainments, it makes me pine for that era just before me, when the newspaper was king, the internet of its day. These papers are so chock full of everything, from local minutiae to foreign exotica; its really incredible to see our communication bonds then and now.

"...searched for the golfer in vain"... indeed.

cheers

vk

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:19:19 PM by V. Kmetz »
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

V. Kmetz

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
Hello,

RE: my post #20. re: Hudson River Country Club

I've got to retract my certainty regarding the route of the course; I just read an account/article of two female HRCC players (from 1952) that speak of the 5th hole as a HRCC's toughest, an "uphill sidehill hole of 478 yards" and that certainly means the 8th hole in my stick routing...

If this account represents the routing for HRCC's complete life (1916-67) as an 18 hole facility (post-Saegkill), then the routing most of us initially thought is correct, is true and "Bob Burns" account is either in error or he is referring to that part of Boyce-Tompkins Institute "campus" looming over the 3rd fairway, which is at the far north border of the property....

and the green which Craig D posited as the 1st hole green is accurate.

cheers

vk

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back