News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Re: A stalwart stumbles
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
WOW, a lot of negativity...I thought it was a wonderful tournament from start to finish. Shows you how little I know.

Some people just like bagging on Augusta National.  This year saw a bit of a runaway, with Mickelson and Rose doing their best.  But in recent past we've seen some amazing finishes.  Remember Adam Scott and Cabrera battling.  Bubba and Louis in extra holes.  But whatever paradigm you use to view Augusta with, that will shape your attitude towards it and, therefore, your comments.

Remember, we also saw a runaway at Pinehurst as Kaymer blew away the field.  Was the course at Pinehurst at fault?  I tend to think Pinehurst is great and that Kaymer was just on fire; similar to Speith.  Speith had lots of chances to ruin things, but he did not.  He played well and wise.  Took chances when they presented good risk/reward opportunities based on the strengths of his game, otherwise he played wise/smart/safe. 

As a matter of fact, I was chatting with friends during the final round and was rooting for a shootout (as I think the second nine at Augusta is arguably the very best stretch of holes for competitive golf).  But when it became apparent that Jordan Speith had it locked up, I said to them that I was just going to enjoy watching him have his moment.  We all seemed to agree and enjoyed his great play.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

archie_struthers

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »

I'm guessing we might have been lucky that conditions were a little lush . Given that it helped the long bombers more than anyone, if it had been harder and faster young Jordan might have won by double digits. He hit it that much better and managed his game more efficiently than anyone by a large margin.

Might have been a lot of people joining Ram rather than be party to watching a rout!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:27:59 PM by archie_struthers »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 09:25:35 PM »
They didn't stumble in the ratings - up 26% over last year.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:04 AM »
Ran, way to stir the pot my man!
There were a number of salient points from numerous parties weighing in.

For me,  Mr. Speith was CLEARLY the most prepared man in the field to take an oddly soft set- up apart. Once hie distanced himself from the majority of the field, there was only one man beating him... JS!

He is as sharp tactically as ANY pro on the planet his age.
Couple that acumen with his talent ...when he is on...mail it in!

The young man has oceans of golf in front of him, but there is a calm confidence  and classy  determination about him that I haven't seen in an American since Hale Irwin.

Golf is a fickle game, as we all know, and are reminded of just how much that can be true quite often. That said,  JS is about as solid a golfing horse to come out of the paddock in America since Mr. Woods.

Cheers,
Kris  8)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:51:15 AM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 03:04:03 AM »
I've been playing around with the tracking app on the Masters website and upon reading this thread I took it upon myself to look at some of the players who seemed to be in contention. Here's my very unofficial, way too small sample size look at what I saw from the app, as well as what I can remember from watching:

1. The position of the drive seemed to have little decision as to whether they played aggressively or not. Players who were in the fairway seemed to choose to go for the pins on the left side of that green whether they were on the left or right side. This is for, in my opinion, one of two reasons: 1. the soft conditions made pins on the left more accessible, and the small difference as to whether to play right or left held less significance, and 2. The distance guys are hitting the ball completely changes the hole. Jason Day had 158 yards in one of the days. Rory had 162. Lengthening it would be a bad decision, as it takes shorter hitters out of the mix almost entirely. But it's disheartening to see guys hitting pitching wedges into what is supposed to be (and from a scoring standpoint, still is) one of the most fearful long par 4's in all of golf.

2. The pin on Friday was in a horrendously boring location. For variety I could see them making the argument it's a good pin. In firm conditions it would be a pretty interesting pin to watch. In Fridays softness, it created no bold plays. The tee shot has been rendered more dull and the approach to that pin only made the matter worse. What a shame.

3. It should be noted that the alley for the patrons actually played a huge role in Speith's ability to get to the right side of the green if I recall correctly (the tracking app certainly seems to indicate this as well). Wouldn't it make more sense to push the trees into that alley, bring back the strategy of width (perhaps with a fairway bunker on the inside of the dogleg which could produce some exciting shots) make more sense?

4. There's been a lot of talk about the banks being shaved and it indicates that Phil Mickelson's ball stopped on the bank of the pond. I don't recall his ball doing this but this is something that would not have happened in years past.

Now to conclude, I think Spieth would have won this tournament this week regardless of the conditions or the setup. Could it have been closer? Absolutely. 16 seemed to be Justin Rose's last shot, and much like when Bubba ran away with it last year, the contenders, as much as they have in the past, couldn't seem to hit the bold shots that make days like that interesting. That's a shame. I'm in agreement that it would be nice to see the second cut eliminated in at least some areas. But really, this was more or less the same golf course we've really enjoyed watching the past few years. I just hope it's a bit firmer next year.

Also, don't be fooled by the uptick from last year. 2011 and 2013 fetched a 10.4 (Schwartzel and Adam Scott respectively winning each). 2010 fetched a whopping 12.0, largely cause Tiger was coming back from his scandal and him and Phil tore it up.

I just regret not putting money on Spieth when I was in Vegas a few weeks ago ;D
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

James Bennett

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 05:39:14 AM »
Adam Scott flew the pin on 15 when it was left side, and finished in the water in front of 16 tee.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 06:17:47 AM »
Adam Scott flew the pin on 15 when it was left side, and finished in the water in front of 16 tee.

James B

Could he not just write up a 7 then on the US handicap scheme and peg it up on 16 or have I got that wrong ;D

Jim Nugent

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 08:05:53 AM »

James B

And on the same hole Phil hit a towering 4 iron -- said he flushed it -- from on top of the hill, that hit in front of the pin, on a green sloping towards him, that still trickled over the back.  Not all those greens were soft and receptive. 

archie_struthers

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 10:04:33 AM »
 ::) 8)

Again, if its firm and fast , Spieth wins by 10 !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back