News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re: Proud of my Membership/Superintendent Relationship...
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2015, 04:43:22 PM »
Carl,

What you see on the club's web site is a link to your greenskeeper's blog which is externally hosted at "blogspot". There are many, many other blogs hosted there including those of various other greenskeepers. Here's one example.

http://royalstdavidsgolflinksteam.blogspot.com/

So what I think John is getting at, in a sense, is that the greenskeeper is directly communicating both with your club's membership and with the world at large. They used to call that "disintermediation" back in the early days of the Web I think.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with that. Just pointing out that in fact being published for general consumption even though 99.9% of the interest in the contents of the blog is surely among members of the club!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2015, 05:05:07 PM »
I'm surprised that the people on this site that want to eliminate non essential luxuries feel that a social media presence is valuable.  I don't believe that society has evolved to the point that the best computer guy is also the best growing guy.  Putting an emphasis on the blogging skills of a super will be to the detriment of your playing conditions. But then again, you may be happier just reading how great your course is or will eventually be playing.

CStrange

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2015, 05:31:05 PM »
From the inside I've watched social media/golf maintenance communication evolve for some time.  I think video production skills are one of the most underrated skills a super needs in this day and age.  Here is a quick video from Randy Wilson on Turfnet that exemplifies the best.  3:15 is where it gets good.

http://www.turfnet.com/blog/3/entry-538-its-2014-watch-the-buddy-n-randy-show/

Cheers,

Chris

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
My favorite show is on tonight so if my TV reception gets whacked should I be calling Larry the Cable Guy?

Justin VanLanduit

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2015, 06:42:09 PM »

The blogs can be privatized so that it cannot come up in search engines or any of the sort.  Only people that can know are those that you share the link with. 

On the other note of mass broadcast, you'd be amazed at the information that Superintendents share between one another.  Supers share their blogs to educate their members, golfing public, but also to help progress the industry.  It used to be you'd call or go visit to pick his brain and find out how he's doing things.  That still gets done but, instantaneous information exchange between Supers has changed the game.  I personally have learned of methods through blogs or twitter that other Superintendents are using and work well, eventually trying it out and finding that their method is better than mine.  All Superintendents are looking for ways to learn more and perfect their craft. 

Wouldn't you think it's beneficial for your Superintendent to learn about something that made your golf course better?  Maybe a way to make the aerification process faster and smoother, or a way to make your greens firmer through a wetting agent?  Maybe even a method of eradicating Poa through the mixture of a few different products?  Or, making fescue areas thinner/more playable but still have the whispy seed heads?  All these items along with a lot more are exchanged through avenues like twitter, text, blogs, etc...  I believe each Superintendent probably learns something new each day.  They also look at a way to improve the golf course each day.  That's why we all love the job, never repetitive and a million different ways of doing the same task to get to the same end result.

SL_Solow

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »
First, in the interest of full disclosure, Justin is the Superintendent at our club.  By his thoughtful posts, you can see one of the reasons why I continue to enjoy working in this area.  Second, for those interested in this type of communication, Dr. Ed Nangle, the Director of Turfgrass Programs for the Chicago District Golf association puts out a weekly Scouting Report covering developments throughout our area which also contains some helpful information which translates throughout the industry.  You can arrange to have it sent to you free of charge by visiting the CDGA website.

Following up on Justin's last post, I have always been impressed by the Supers' willingness to share information and help each other.  It really is a close knit almost familial group and I suppose the new forms of communication has made it easier to share information.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2015, 08:11:28 PM »
I can not argue the fact that communication is a good thing. It also can not be denied that the speed of modern communication fuels the fire on bad trends. Long gone are the days of letting a few noble courses test new technology while the patient club sits back and see what works over the span of five to ten years. Be it new strains of grass, mechanical environment manipulators or unnatural bunker liners, every trend is a must have in months time. You can't post a photograph of patience.

PGertner

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2015, 10:35:16 PM »
I learned long ago as a business student at St. Bonaventure that any product, or in this case a message, will only appeal to a segment of the market. In writing to my blog, I keep this in mind. I know some don't care....but the ones that do read are passionate about the information, the golf course, the turf and support our efforts in a big way.

My JaKa type members are not my target for my writings. (Sorry Mr. K.) Generally, his tantrums, spouting and negativity can easily be seen through by open minded, intelligent and knowledgable members....the ones who support me wholeheartedly. Those are the guys I write to because I am providing information that they want to know and understand.

Communication is a big part of being a Superintendent in 2015....it isn't 1967 anymore..

Patrick Gertner
Potowomut Golf Club
East Greenwich, RI 

Andrew Hardy

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »
The greatest compliment any vocation can be given is the one from peers. Superintendents like Matt Wharton have been recognized by peers for their contributions to social media and should be proud of such accomplishments. I'm sure if the Pavers of America, American Law Council or insert name here association were to have peer recognitions, and any of you were to be awarded one you would be proud of it as well. This is as Patrick stated 2015 and whether you like it or not, this is the means of communication going forward.

I would assume the negativity on here comes from golfers still using persimmon woods and balata golf balls.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2015, 02:06:17 PM »
Below is an example of what can go wrong when bad ideas are put in pretty packages.  At least back in the day it took some commitment to push an idea.

"That is not my impression, but I could be wrong. Oak Hill's tree-planting program in the 30's, for example, was considered to be a cutting-edge project the time. The Oak Hill member who pushed for the program (I forget his name) wrote a pamphlet on the topic to convince members and others of the advantages of more trees. He followed up with articles in magazines pushing the idea. And the son of a gun basically won the day."

SL_Solow

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2015, 02:14:48 PM »
The Oak Hill story is a little more complicated than that but it is clear that when the club moved to its current location, the property was treeless farmland.  A leading member, Dr. John R. Williams decided that it was appropriate to introduce oaks so he began to cultivate seedlings, many in his own backyard which he transplanted to the course.  the club has suggested he introduced as many as 75,000 trees!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2015, 08:11:50 PM »
Below is an example of what can go wrong when bad ideas are put in pretty packages.  At least back in the day it took some commitment to push an idea.

"That is not my impression, but I could be wrong. Oak Hill's tree-planting program in the 30's, for example, was considered to be a cutting-edge project the time. The Oak Hill member who pushed for the program (I forget his name) wrote a pamphlet on the topic to convince members and others of the advantages of more trees. He followed up with articles in magazines pushing the idea. And the son of a gun basically won the day."

HIJACK!!!

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
One of my favorite Superintendent related conversations between two men in the business very good at their jobs.

Supt to his equipment manager,  "Hey (name withheld), we need to make sure the course is perfect in August because we are hosting a chapter meeting then.
Equipment Manager,  "where will the meeting be held?"
Supt "in the conference room"
EM "how are you going to fit all the computers in there?"

My flippant remark on the first page of this thread is based on the fact I'm a little miffed we have to celebrate a super telling his membership the DR tee is not ready. I would think a world class club like that mentioned here would have a staff/member relationship of mutual respect and simple sharing of info would be the rule, not the exception.

Regarding blogs, of course the Super has to communicate to his membership. Whatever works for each club is not an issue for me. But to think that in some cases the blogging trend hasn't morphed into an "outside" contest and career building is to ignore what is really happening.
More power to any club and super that wants to use a blog to show the world what they are up, and to share ideas. But lets not go overboard as if that is the only way a super can talk to a member. I'm still a big fan of a solid Super/Pro/GM professional relationship where everyone has each others back. With info from the Supt, the Pro can pass on some more detailed info to members who have an interest. Or the Supt can communicate face to face himself. Blogs are great, but nothing beats a real conversation.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:45:50 PM by Don Mahaffey »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »
Don,

I suspect it's a generational thing. Not sure exactly the age of Carolina GC's superintendent but I know *plenty* of 25-30 year olds who would consider someone going around communicating detailed information via a series of face-to-face conversations as being hopelessly behind the times and inefficient.

Not that the typical golf club member is 30 years old by any means. But the cohort of young people who believe if it's not online then it must not be important is getting older with each passing year. It's only natural for younger professionals to emphasize the types of communication that younger people demand.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2015, 08:54:41 PM »
Brent, I have six children, I know. But I still think it is bad manners to text during dinner.

I get what you are saying. But out there in the real world, I don't see it. I see the person with the ability to talk to people having a real advantage. When everyone is blogging, the guys who can actually explain something face to face, will be different. And sometimes being different isn't the worst thing in the world.

JMEvensky

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2015, 09:03:12 PM »
Brent, I have six children, I know. But I still think it is bad manners to text during dinner.

I get what you are saying. But out there in the real world, I don't see it. I see the person with the ability to talk to people having a real advantage. When everyone is blogging, the guys who can actually explain something face to face, will be different. And sometimes being different isn't the worst thing in the world.

Don,you're right of course. But Brent's point is important-- maybe more important.

Clubs are so eager to be attractive to younger members,even member/Superintendent communication is designed for their benefit. The younger members may not understand or even care,but clubs want to feel as though they're being responsive to an important group.

Clubs feel they can't afford not to cater to them.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2015, 09:10:45 PM »
JME,
I understand, I just don't believe people are joining because of a nice blog.
I do think good communication is a necessity and if a blog does that, great.
I'm not against them in the slightest. I just think the benefit is being overstated by some.

We are not losing golfers because we are poor bloggers. There are some very successful clubs with no public blogs of any kind. But they make up for it in other ways. That's all I'm saying, it is not the end all be all.  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:12:39 PM by Don Mahaffey »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2015, 09:17:18 PM »
I don't by any means think it's necessary right now. But for younger superintendents it no doubt seems an obvious thing to do even if not strictly necessary.

The reason it's not necessary right now is that so few people under 30 years old are going to join *any* private country club. The overlap between the generation that expect up-to-date online information sharing and the people with means and inclination to pony up country club initiation fees and dues is probably very, very small at present.

Ten years from now I expect the situation to be different. When folks who are five years out of college right now are approaching 40, if they aren't joining country clubs then the whole discussion will be moot!

Mike_Young

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2015, 09:17:57 PM »
JME,
I understand, I just don't believe people are joining because of a nice blog.
I do think good communication is a necessity and if a blog does that, great.
I'm not against them in the slightest. I just think the benefit is being overstated by some.

We are not losing golfers because we are poor bloggers. There are some very successful clubs with no public blogs of any kind. But they make up for it in other ways. That's all I'm saying, it is not the end all be all.  

Look how much better our CIA was before they got their blog ;D ;D  Giving a member more than "the need to know" is dangerous sooner or later...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Brent Hutto

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2015, 09:24:45 PM »
There are certain small stylistic differences among superintendent's blogs that I've seen. The one linked to in this thread seems fundamentally about making clear the reason that things are done or not done and explaining what's behind decisions that might seen arbitrary to an uninformed member.

There's one I follow at Royal St. Davids in Wales that seems slightly more of a boosterism type exercise. I don't mean that disparagingly. It just seems motivated by equal parts pride at the work being done by the greenskeeping staff and engendering a sense of pride in the membership for the improvements (or at least changes) in the course.

But I find them both interesting just because I don't know squat about fairy rings or root-zone temperatures or a million other details of keeping a golf course functioning. So every time I look at one of these blogs I pick up another interesting tidbit or two.

Then again I generally learn something when I speak to my club's superintendent. But I can't do that while I'm sitting in my recliner while my wife watches TV!

JMEvensky

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2015, 09:46:21 PM »

Giving a member more than "the need to know" is dangerous sooner or later...

Amen to that shit :D.

I think this is what JK is saying.

Justin VanLanduit

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2015, 07:11:09 AM »
I personally have no problem with stopping and talking with a member, that's again part of the job and our responsibility as Superintendents.  Membership/Superintendent relationships are a must to improve trust and respect, so that when the Super says the "practice is closed" the member respects that and follows the guidelines.  I think there is a shift though in the golfing public from common etiquette to just being out there for themselves.  It's discussed at lengths anymore at Superintendent functions, grounds committee meetings, etc...  Ballmark issues, not raking sand traps, terrible cart etiquette, constantly having to explain frost delays, are just a few to name.  So as a Superintendent we have to find ways to try and educate, rather than standing on the practice tee trying to tell said member all the reasons the practice tee is closed, as a lot of them don't want to hear it right then and there.  And unfortunately, those are probably also the people that will not take the time to read the information sent out to educate the membership or golfing public about certain things. 
I look at from this angle; if I can get 30% of the membership at my club to read the information that is great.  Then that 30% will play a round with say 2 other guys whom haven't and when they come to something in question that other person can maybe educate those to what is going on.  Then possibly 1 out of those two will take more interest and realize if he does read the information he'd know more about his club and course.  Then hopefully it will carry on from there. 
I just recently update my blog with pertinent information to conditions for the spring and when the course would open.  We sent an email out letting the membership know, after 2 days from the the notification being sent out I had roughly 230 hits on the blog and that entry alone, along with multiple hits on previous entries(yes it keeps track).  So I'm fortunate to be seeing activity, and getting them there is the key and once there hopefully they see the useful information at their finger tips.  And yes the way information is exchange could be looked at as generational but I'm sure more than 60% of us here probably have smart phones with all the capabilities in the world.  Clubs for the most part now all have websites, can make a tee time from that website, dinner reservation, etc...  The path is all about making it easier for the golfer, so they can schedule the tee time while they are out to dinner 2 nights before, or if they are sitting at an airport traveling they can waste some time and read the latest postings to their clubs grounds blog.

Andrew Hardy

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2015, 08:01:36 AM »
One of my favorite Superintendent related conversations between two men in the business very good at their jobs.

Supt to his equipment manager,  "Hey (name withheld), we need to make sure the course is perfect in August because we are hosting a chapter meeting then.
Equipment Manager,  "where will the meeting be held?"
Supt "in the conference room"
EM "how are you going to fit all the computers in there?"

My flippant remark on the first page of this thread is based on the fact I'm a little miffed we have to celebrate a super telling his membership the DR tee is not ready. I would think a world class club like that mentioned here would have a staff/member relationship of mutual respect and simple sharing of info would be the rule, not the exception.

Regarding blogs, of course the Super has to communicate to his membership. Whatever works for each club is not an issue for me. But to think that in some cases the blogging trend hasn't morphed into an "outside" contest and career building is to ignore what is really happening.
More power to any club and super that wants to use a blog to show the world what they are up, and to share ideas. But lets not go overboard as if that is the only way a super can talk to a member. I'm still a big fan of a solid Super/Pro/GM professional relationship where everyone has each others back. With info from the Supt, the Pro can pass on some more detailed info to members who have an interest. Or the Supt can communicate face to face himself. Blogs are great, but nothing beats a real conversation.

While there are some informative and great blogs out there. I do agree with you that there are a few that are pure garbage. Stats driven (if you have 50 members you aren't serving just them) drivel, a "look at me" exercise in feeling important. So we can agree on that.

On that note, my oldest member Mr. Miller is 91 years old and is my most avid follower of the turf blog. Generations need to adapt as well, but, perhaps he is the anomaly.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2015, 10:15:20 AM »
Josh Mahar, Superintendent at Wild Horse, has a blog which I've enjoyed following.  We make an annual trip into Nebraska for a few days and Wild Horse is always on the itinerary.

http://www.playwildhorse.com/superintendent_news/

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Thomas Dai

« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
Having had experience of some folk who were, shall we say, very closed and negative and unhelpful and wouldn't share information and frankly weren't any use in their job then when a Super etc is prepared to publish a regular report/blog of what he's up to and what he plans to do next gives me as a fee paying club member confidence that he know's what he's doing although admittedly there may be some self promoting show-offs around.

Also, what a great historical source of information. Just imagine decades ago being able to read online (and then years later source for research etc purposes) what say an Old Tom Morris was up to at St Andrews or Prestwick or what a Russell was up to at Royal Melbourne etc. Golfing gold dust.

atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back