News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DFarron

Menlo Country Club
« on: March 17, 2015, 01:16:20 PM »
Have driven by this club many times and had a "feeling" it would be awesome and it didn't disappoint! Sorry there are no pictures, the day was overcast and all I had was my I-Phone, it didn't capture the beauty and subtleties of the design.

For those that don't know me I am both a purist and minimalist, the first time I played the Old Course I felt dirty using Ping irons. For better or worse, I like solid golf that can be played either in the air or on the ground. Maybe because I have never been a long hitter, I prefer tracks that favor brains over brawn. In all these regards Menlo exceeded my expectations.

The course is a little raw as far as grass is concerned having recently been re-done by Kyle Phillips,  but Menlo embodies my personal feeling of how courses should be designed. Wide rolling fairways, well placed bunkers and greens that could sometimes leave you both shaking your head and smiling.

From the black tees the course is not overpowering although a better choice for me would have been the blue tees, but on my first time I wanted to see the "whole course". There is an awesome diversity of long and short holes. One thing that I liked especially is that variety of distances on the par 3's. Many of the courses I play the all the par 3's seem to be the same length-200+ yards. Menlo gave you a great variety and there was plenty of margin for error on the longer 3's.

The hardest hole for me was #8, 445 straight uphill and into a prevailing wind. The fairway was very generous and well framed by two bunkers that gave you a sure target area. The second shot also was uphill to a green that had a slight depression towards the back that funnels shots to a back pin.

Also really enjoyed #13, a 309 yard drive and pitch hole whose green sloped away from the fairway. I pulled my drive left there and the shot called for a low punch to a back pin position, probably the most fun shot I hit all day!

Not sure what grass they were using in the fairway, but they played very firm and I got the impression that they were mimicking Cal Club in the set up of the course. It was very similar with the exception that Cal Club is slightly more challenging and has better views.

I'd rate Menlo in a T-3 for my top 5 favorite courses in the Bay Area. Pasatiempo is #1 followed by Cal Club, Menlo and Meadow Club tied for third, SFGC 4th and Olympic Lake 5th. Playing SFGC in two weeks, haven't played there in 15 years so that may change.

astavrides

Re: Menlo Country Club
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 01:53:47 PM »
A rating above SFGC and Olympic Lake isn't bad for a course almost nobody has ever heard of--including me in 2010-2013 when I lived in silicon valley.

DFarron

Re: Menlo Country Club
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 04:04:20 PM »
A rating above SFGC and Olympic Lake isn't bad for a course almost nobody has ever heard of--including me in 2010-2013 when I lived in silicon valley.

Just my opinion, after I play SFGC that may change. The Lake course is an excellent course for tour players, but I'm not that good and I appreciate a course where I can either roll it in or hit it in high. Olympic rarely has that option. If I could carry my driver 275 that opinon might change lol!

I hadn't heard of Menlo either, my girlfriends best friend lives next to the course and every time I would drive by you could see that it was special.

That being said the have awesome cheeseburgers!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back