News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Ari Techner is posted
« on: March 04, 2015, 02:30:25 PM »
This month we check in with Ari Techner, President of Scratch Golf, which manufactures wedges, irons and putters. Many of you know Ari, perhaps through a GolfClubAtlas event, from a fitting or running into him as he traverses the country. He started Scratch in 2003 with Jeff McCoy because of a perceived lack of quality wedges. I can attest to that having bought a wedge in that timeframe from a name brand company only to find that its loft was more than two degrees off its specifications.

Ari brings many points of view to bear in this month’s Feature Interview, including that as a hickory player, a historian who appreciates how the game has evolved and as an equipment craftsman. He has quite a collection of persimmon drivers to boot. Aware of all this you know he isn’t some panic merchant regarding his score  – he sees and treats golf as a game,  which immediately makes him a friend of mine. Throughout this Feature Interview, he stresses one point above all others: get fitted! Though we are all keenly aware of strides in technology, many of us fail to get properly fitted - a huge unforced error, especially given the investment of time and money we pour into the sport.

Part of Ari's persimmon collection.

Noel “Tuco” Freeman witnessed first-hand the benefits I have derived from a properly fitted 53 degree Scratch wedge three weeks ago at the 11th hole of the Cal Club where a back left hole was tucked around the brow of the hill. My approach, expertly compressed by the wedge, went long left and spun back to a scant 12 feet. On the other hand, Noel was thrashing about like a broken dishwater in the back bunker. At first he dislodged sand but no ball. Next, he tragically bladed a shot of the worst sort that whacked the flagstick and dropped in for a most undeserved par.  :P He had the gall to make me putt my 12-footer to win and I obligingly missed.  >:( Scratch did its job by producing a wedge for my emotionally challenged swing, a mellifluous sweep, not a gouge. That I was not playing with a gentleman is my own fault.

ANYWAY, architecture and equipment are inexorably linked. Ari highlights that with a description of how his playing tactics change at the first at Sweetens Cove (he is a co-founder) whether he is playing hickories or modern. There are many ways to play the game and this month’s Feature Interview is geared toward making sure that you get the most enjoyment from it.

Best,
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:33:40 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Bruce Wellmon

Re: Feature Interview with Ari Techner is posted
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »
I played with Ari at the 5TH Major last year and shared my frustration with current wedges. I still have my favorite wedge from 1975 in the basement and asked Ari if he could make a "modern" version of my wedge. Yes, yes he can. Chipping is fun again thanks to Scratch.

BCowan

Re: Feature Interview with Ari Techner is posted New
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:21:11 PM »
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:49:14 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:07:43 PM »
I fondly recall a round hosted by Ari at Eugene CC in his Oregon days.   He cheerfully officiated one of my brutal matches against my brother.  Looking forward to the interview.   

Love the bag of drivers, really miss the Hogan speed slot driver bottom right.   

William_G

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 09:19:35 PM »
I fondly recall a round hosted by Ari at Eugene CC in his Oregon days.      

beautiful spring here at ECC
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:20:05 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Ari Techner

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 09:46:08 PM »
Glad you guys enjoyed the interview!  Special thanks to Ran for taking the time and thinking to include me. 
Anyone that is coming to Detroit and has interest in seeing our fitting center or getting a fitting let me know and I will personally show you around and or do the fitting for you.  You can always PM me on here or email me at ari@scratchgolf.com. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:46:52 PM by Ari Techner »

William_G

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:52:05 PM »
I fondly recall a round hosted by Ari at Eugene CC in his Oregon days.      
Beautiful day today!
yes

sweet  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:31:23 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

C. Sturges

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 10:57:55 PM »
Great interview as always Ran.  Look forward to more in the future.

William,  another positive and insightful post!  Way to stay on topic!

chris

Jason Way

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 12:00:31 AM »
Thanks Ari and Ran for sharing this.  It is interesting and fun to get these varied perspectives on the game.

Ari, if you make it up north, hit me up and we'll tee it up at Kingsley.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:25 AM »
As someone who likes tinkering with different wedges I enjoyed reading this interview. As someone who plays both modern generation and original hickory clubs with yee olde heads I understand exactly what Ari is saying about playing away from features like this when using yee olde sticks but not hesitating to take the 'hazard' (ha, ha!) on when using modern equipment.

atb

Josh Tarble

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 08:54:50 AM »
Ari,
Is it in your plans to have a Scratch fitting space at Sweetens (if you don't already)? 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 08:43:42 PM »
Thanks for the interview guys.  Ari should also have mentioned that he's got a future Scratch touring pro in the house.

William_G

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 09:27:07 PM »
Great interview as always Ran.  Look forward to more in the future.

William,  another positive and insightful post!  Way to stay on topic!

chris
thank you

first thing that popped into my head, even though lofts instead of club #s is a brilliant idea to implement 8)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:29:38 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 09:58:42 PM »
Which is why I had Scratch stamp 17* on my long iron so I would never have to ask a caddie for a one iron and see the look of disgust on his face.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 11:36:29 AM »
Ari,

While we've never met and I've yet to try one of your well-respected wedges, I'm in outright awe of your abilities.

You must be quite the alchemist to have produced a product that compensates for the horrid and overconfident technique of one Randolph Morrissett. His swing has deflated more than one or two club makers over time as well as produced so many lopsided victories for his erstwhile opponents. Most people who face him use their winning proceeds to sell short the stocks of his club manufacturers!

Congrats on accomplishing something so exemplary in the field of game improvement!!

Cheers,

Steve
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:22:12 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

William_G

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »
Which is why I had Scratch stamp 17* on my long iron so I would never have to ask a caddie for a one iron and see the look of disgust on his face.

how about after you hit it?
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
my comments are mine alone and do not represent anyone else but me for better or worse

thank you
It's all about the golf!

Ari Techner

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »
Ari,
Is it in your plans to have a Scratch fitting space at Sweetens (if you don't already)? 

Yes we do eventually plan to have a Scratch fitting center at Sweetens.  Right now we have our whole club fitting system there with all the different grinds and shafts and VP of Custom Sales Patrick Boyd is on site so anyone in the SE that is interested in a fitting can goto Sweetens Cove with the bonus that they will get to see one of the best 9 hole golf courses and some of the best golf anywhere in the world.

john_stiles

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 11:04:18 PM »

I have loved my Scratch wedges.

Thanks Ari and Patrick !

Eric Smith

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
Thanks for the interview, gents. Nice to see something good came of the pilgrimage to GCA World Headquarters. ;D

For more color, here is a television interview with Ari conducted at Scratch World Headquarters in Michigan ... Check it out

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
Playing with Ari and Patrick a year or so ago at Desert Forest, i watched a couple of class guys do their clubs proud. Nice piece Ran!

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »
Nice job of tying together equipment and architecture!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back