News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Re: Thanks for saving us USGA
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 07:29:43 AM »
Jeff,

Yes, it is a tragedy that a course like Merion has to be distorted out of all proportion in order to host the US Open.

But hasn't the overall theme of the "badness and villainy" of the usual suspects a bit over done here? 

There does exist a marketplace that rewards their behavior. 

What in life can remain static?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Bruce Katona

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:32 AM »
As Americans (I can't or won't speak for my fellow golfers across the Pond, in Europe, Oz etc), we are granted the right in the Constitution to voice our opinion without reprisal provided there is no harm or slander involved.  If one can be critical of the President of the United States, Congress, or local and state governments, etc, why shouldn't we be able to be critical of private organizations that have greatly impacted the game of golf (each individual has the right to determine if said impact is positive, negative or neutral)?  Why should  the USGA, PGA, R&A & equipment makers - all the root cause of this discussion - be given a pass?  More importantly, what the heck is this group doing to keep people playing and growing the game?  That's an even larger concern.

jeffwarne

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 05:20:29 PM »
Well another player has toed the line ahead of the much ballyhooed anchoring deadline.
Adam Scott used the short putter yesterday and was 4th in strokes gained puting, using 27 putts.
Today he shot 68.
Thanks again for protecting us all.

Rumor has it Scott, Bradley, and Simpson are suing the USGA for enacting the three year grace period and not forcing them to change sooner ::) ::)

Did I mention there was a 5 iron and a 7 iron hit into the 600+ yard 12th yesterday?

Now they're going after ribs in grips
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »

Are you serious about that?

Makes sense, now that I've been using the ribbed ones for a few years they would outlaw them.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »
I'm waiting until the USGA decides that NOT being out of shape and ten years too old is an unfair competitive advantage. I'm telling you, brother, then it'll be MY time to shine.

Peter

JMEvensky

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »

Ever see a guy use wire hangers as reminders? Agree this might not be the best use of their bully pulpit  ;D.

jeffwarne

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »

Are you serious about that?

Makes sense, now that I've been using the ribbed ones for a few years they would outlaw them.

They've already quietly made manufacturers reduce them-very hard to get a pronounced rib in the last couple years.

Fortunately they were able to get that evil paddle grip out of that unscrupulous Ben Crenshaw years ago
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 06:32:31 PM »
I am wondering what is the issue here? Hasn't there been a long standing rule outlawing alignment aids in grips? Is that what we're talking about?

There was a long standing rule outlawing spring faces, but the USGA didn't save us on that one.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 06:45:42 PM »
I am wondering what is the issue here? Hasn't there been a long standing rule outlawing alignment aids in grips? Is that what we're talking about?

There was a long standing rule outlawing spring faces, but the USGA didn't save us on that one.

GJ they eliminated the old Gene Sarazen reminder grip years ago (I grew up playing them)
Now the manufactures are being told to make the ribs more subtle-not sure of the exact wording or rule-just the answer I'm getting when I inquire about the ribs being much smaller.
Not sure what rule they are citing but as you have stated they ignored the springlike face rule.
It's very important to diligently regulate the short game so nobody hits it too short-after all they might leave the game.
ironic that the large participation exodus from the game neatly coincides with the dispropotionate distance gains of the last 15 years, despite people insisting chicks dig the long ball ;) ;D

Brent Hutto

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 07:16:59 PM »
I use the Ping ID8 ribbed grips and you're right the rib is very subtle. I thought it was maybe just my faulty memory of 5-10 years ago when I used the GP Tour Velvet ribbed grips. Those were almost uncomfortable in the fingers they were so ribbed.

I can live with subtle, at least as long as they let Ping keep putting alignment marks on top (kind of like the arrow on the old green Golf Pride rubber Victory grips). I will say it has always seemed a little like legal cheating to have the reminder plus marks on top, at least on full swings. Kind of goes out the window on wedges, admittedly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back