News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

This Threw Me For A Loup
« on: March 04, 2015, 01:20:34 PM »
Loup County , Nebraska.  

The floors between the dunes in this area are anywhere from 50 to 150 yards wide (google maps measuring tool), and there looks to be many avenues where you could cross from one valley floor to the next, or ride the tops of the 'wave' for a hole or two to make the crossing.

For realism's sake you could take all the unused greenside fans, install speakers in them, and pipe the sound of crashing surf around the course.  ;D    

Click on the photo in this link to view it in a large format (the little auburn blotches in the lower right section are future steaks):  
 http://cdn.nebraskaradionetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Sand-Hills-Loup-County.jpg

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:28:01 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Garland Bayley

Re: This Threw Me For A Loup
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:15 PM »
If they run enough cattle on that land, you could just go out and play it forever with infinite holes created as you go.

WOW
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 01:30:20 PM »
If they run enough cattle on that land, you could just go out and play it forever with infinite holes created as you go.

WOW

They do, a herd can be seen in the lower right hand corner of the BIG photo.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 01:36:21 PM »
"I think it moved."

~George Costanza

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
More evidence that geology repeats itself at different scales.

The middle section of the photo looks like the ideal land.  Would be an interesting exercise in trying to rout something that doesn't end up feeling like Royal Birkdale.  Very cool image--thanks for sharing.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Stephen Davis

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »
This is very cool! Infinite golf holes is right. Just send someone ahead and put a flag in the ground and off you go.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »
double wow from me...1000's of holes...just fantastic

Could someone explain the geology of these formations

just stunning
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Brian Finn

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 05:41:19 PM »
"I think it moved."

~George Costanza

+1

Awesome.
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs), Kapalua Plantation...

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 05:56:58 PM »
Centrally located in the middle of nowhere. ;)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 05:57:17 PM »
Jim,

You find the most unique photos.

Looks like it could make for a great golf course, with one exception.

If Donald Trump developed it the morons would complain.

Great photo

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 07:21:26 PM »
David,

This land lies smack dab between Ord and Sand Hills GC, and Ord is a 2.5 hour drive from SHGC. Middle of nowhere in some ways, but not the more important ones.  ;D

Pat,

Probably, but even he wouldn't put a 15 story, 400 room hotel our there  - or would he?   :o      

The 'infinite' number of holes could lead to this conversation: "Hon, I'm headed out for a round, see you in a few weeks".  ;)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:29:08 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 07:26:24 PM »
Pat, The Donald would never build on those dunes. They aren't great (big) enough.

The Loup river is where a few sportsman fish. They go for Perch. Even in the winter.

Jim, Please don't encourage golf there? It's natural beauty is too pristine.

Tommy N. Please photoshop a Trump tower in there?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill Brightly

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 07:53:26 PM »
You only see 1000 holes? This site might be the death of Bill Coore...

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
Adam,

I understand where you are coming from. The Sand Hills and Dismal River course are in the same general location (a couple/few hours drive) and they haven't spoiled the general nature of the ca. 14 million acres that comprise this area.

...and no one born and raised below the 41st parallel N would survive out there between December and March.  ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 08:44:46 PM »
You only see 1000 holes? This site might be the death of Bill Coore...

;D ;D ;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »
Would you need anything besides a holecutter?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 08:55:10 PM »
double wow from me...1000's of holes...just fantastic

Could someone explain the geology of these formations

just stunning

I couldn't, but these guys can (one of them is named "Loope", so he's got a leg up on it).

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1483&context=greatplainsresearch

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 02:36:37 AM »
Jim,

You find the most unique photos.

Looks like it could make for a great golf course, with one exception.

If Donald Trump developed it the morons would complain.

Great photo

Perhaps -- after he installed the $30 million waterfall. 

Does Trump own any golf courses that are out in the boonies?  Seems like he's located a lot closer to either population centers, resort destinations or oceans. 

Funny comment, though, Pat. 

Question for the architects or anyone: could you route many holes over the dunes in the photo as well as between them?

John Kirk

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 02:44:54 AM »
Looks like all the holes go east or west.

Might have some nasty green to tee walks.

You're welcome.

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 02:58:59 AM »
I see what is potentially the same hole repeated over and over...a golfer runs through it.  This site would need a clever archie to break up the repetition of the dunes. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 03:54:25 AM »
I see what is potentially the same hole repeated over and over...a golfer runs through it.  This site would need a clever archie to break up the repetition of the dunes. 

Ciao
+1

Looks like lots of parallel dunes of similar dimension with flat, straight land between.  It would take someone with vision to avoid a Birkdale like set of flat holes with attractive buffers.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 04:42:53 AM »
While it's not quite an act of heresy, they do have D-8's in that county, and sandy soil is easy to move. ;D

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 05:06:31 AM »
While it's not quite an act of heresy, they do have D-8's in that county, and sandy soil is easy to move. ;D

Patrick,
To paraphrase an erstwhile member of this forum do D-8s respect "land fit for purpose"!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

David Davis

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 05:44:21 AM »
Nice wavelike dunes landscape. Awesome for fans of containment mounding, you wouldn't even have to move any sand.

Though with some creativity you could have some amazing blind tee shots up over dunes similar to RCD. Add some cool top of the dune down to the valley or perhaps even risk reward play safe and have a blind approach or go for the full carry over the adjacent dune type holes.

Might be more worries about building the 200 mile long road into the property...(that's an exaggerated guess) - oh and digging the well for water.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jason Hines

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 08:22:02 AM »
Pictorial proof that I grew up in God’s country….

I miss it sitting at the keyboard before a work day…

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back