News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Monarch Dunes Challenge Course
« on: March 05, 2015, 12:33:32 PM »
Saw this on Damian Pascuzzo's FB page and thought I would post it. I think I have related that I played there with Damian and Ron Whitten last year, a day before playing Valley Club.  And, while Valley Club is among the great ones, I can say we never had so much fun as playing an extra twelve holes on this course.  At one point, the next group even asked us to quiet down, we were having so much fun, with more made putts, some chip ins, unusual shots and bets, etc.

Even for traditionalists, its a nice change of pace.  But, they focus on the local residents for whom 9-12 holes after work is one reason they bought their house, other local beginners, trying to reduce barriers and cost, etc.  The place was full on a Tuesday afternoon the day we played.

Anyway, worth a quick look.

http://www.ncga.org/2015/03/03/the-challenge-course-at-monarch-dunes-challenging-how-beginners-are-taught/
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rich Goodale

Re: Monarch Dunes Challenge Course
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
One round of the Kings Putter in 2011 (?) was played on the regular course at Monarch Dunes.  It had one or two goofy holes, but overall was a very challenging and interesting course to play.  I wish we had the time (and/or brains) to have played the 12-holer.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:49:56 PM »
Rich, the beauty of the 12 holer is we played in less than 2 hours late in the afternoon.  And, we didn't get tired either, which is sometimes a problem for me with multiple rounds.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 05:44:36 PM »
The 12 holer uses the crutch of water in artificial ponds. The holes without water can offer some very interesting, challenging, unique, etc. recovery shots. The holes with water are just BLAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH. Furthermore, it seems to have as much length in green to tee transitions, as there is to the course itself, as it is routed amongst real estate. Therefore, they perhaps still do, but certainly used to give you a cart for free to play the "short" course.

Monarch Dunes is misnamed as it would be more aptly named Monarch Ponds.
 :P

PS I just took time to count that there are 5 ponds in 12 holes on the challenge course.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:08:08 PM by GJ Bailey »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:56:45 PM »
GJ,

I can't be sure, but I think (as per the water crutch thread) that the ponds are required for detention.  And, I agree it would be always be better without the real estate transitions, but I have no doubt of Shea Homes primary motives there.

Damian said the original plan was 36 holes, but after phase I, there was only land for the standard nine hole addition, but he convinced them to do something a little different, which seems to have worked commercially, given the thoughts on the other thread about the bias for par 72 and courses in multiples of nine holes.  I had the impression that if it was just 9 holes, it might not have attracted so much interest.

I didn't think all the water holes were blah, and you must have some pretty high architectural standards. 4 of 12 holes have water........not quite up to those Florida courses.  I do recall two full carry par 3 holes, which might be one more than ideal.......and a bit tough for beginners, but again, I figure they had to be there for non golf reasons.

What I found most interesting there is the theory that golf is just too scary for newbs.  They have arrows guiding you to the pro shop, to the first tees, etc.  When they surveyed people, there was a lot of latent interest in golf, but also a lot of fear.  They tried to remove the fear in several ways.

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 07:02:53 PM »
The Challenge Course was a regular stop for me when I lived in the Bay Area on any trip down 101 to Southern California.  Two flags on every green seems to be something that they added since I played it last.  I enjoyed playing the 12 holes in under two hours and always was a great deal of fun.  The tee shots were challenging and hitting the green would often lead to challenging two putts.  It has been a while since I have been there but seeing those pictures was a nice reminder of fun times spent in Nipomo.

Jocko's down the road is always a favorite for you steak lovers out there.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »
Yes, Jockos was our choice for dinner.....should be a package deal!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back