News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re: Golf Dreams
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 10:48:20 PM »
Bill,
Mine is never being able to tee off because of a low ceiling or some other structural reason. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

HAHAHA! I have the same problem . I typically find my dream games of golf indoors for some reason, and it is usually on the first tee where there is a wall in the way and I cannot even bring the club far enough back to make a swing. I try to move around and reposition, but I can still not swing the golf club. Horrible, absolutely horrible.

add me to this group, unable to take it back on the tee which then freaks me out...

the only good news about this is that Tom Watson has said he has this dream too...so we got that going for us...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

PThomas

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 10:52:06 PM »
Quote from: JJohnson link=topic=35649.msg721232#msg721232 4 of us were golfing Pebble Beach. [/quote

and once i thought i was having a nightmare about playing Pebble one time when this guy brought his pet RABBIT with him out onto the course for the round....then I realized i was indeed awake and reading a true story by a GCAer.....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:54:39 PM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

mike_beene

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 11:13:34 PM »
Always the indoor restricted swing.I keep reteeing and can't find a place to get a free swing.

Tim Bert

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 11:21:53 PM »
For those of us that play a lot, I think the restricted swing thing is symbolic of all the guilt and pressures we feel relative to playing golf as much as we want.  For those of us that don't get to play as much as we want, it represents the restrictions keeping us from playing more.  Family, work, etc.

It's really amazing that so many of us have versions of this same dream.  I always thought it was my own bizarre, quirky dream.  I get the same thing as others with difficulty getting the tee in the ground / hardwood floor / crack in the pavement as well.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 09:10:16 AM »
Am I the only one who has golf dreams about bulldozing???  Never had a dream about playing, but have a lot about shaping...
Jim Thompson

Bill Brightly

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 10:04:09 AM »
Most have probably read "The Match" but for those who haven't, Ben Hogan's dream: He made 17 holes in one in a round, and woke up mad the he failed to get the 18th...

I guess the guy was driven to be good or something...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 10:14:11 AM »
Mine all seem to involve Penelope Cruz

I guess she's your caddie, right?

Steve Wilson

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 02:51:14 PM »
Years, as many as twenty, ago, I dreamed that Golf Digest had managed to get the USGA to allow a subscriber, drawn completely at random, to play in the U. S. Open.

I was the lucky winner and arrived at the course, not identifiend in my dream, to tee it up with the world's best.  I was remarkably calm in the dream and when my name was called I teed it up.  Then when I addressed the ball and looked down the fairway for a target all I could see was trees.  Like the Light Brigagde I had trees to the left, right, and in front of me.  And I mean right in front of me.  Nothing but trees and growing impossibly close together. 
I kept looking for the fairway while all those around me were growing impatient.  I was told to play and I asked "Where's the fairway."  "There," several voices replied.  This exchange went on several times until I increasingly desparate, asked  "Where, I can't see it."

"Well,' one voice spoke offering clarification, "It is kind of narrow."

I never did get to tee off in my one and only opportunity to play in the U. S. Open.

My wildest sports dream involved football.  I was playing for WVU against Maryland and on one of the last plays of the game we blocked a punt and recovered it for a a go ahead touchdown.  The resultant celebration was so prolonged the referees were ejecting players left and right.  I was trying to get my teamates off the field because I knew there was still time for a kickoff, and that a return for a touchdown would tip the game back to Maryland.  When all the dust and yellow flags had settled I was left with only two teamates to cover the kickoff.  I pleaded with the referees and they agreed to let us use two cheerleaders as well on the coverage team.

As is the case with so many of my dreams I moved on to something else and so never got around to the kickoff.   
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Scott_Park

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 03:47:29 PM »

I have the restricted swing dream all of the time.  Usually it involves my ball in a small room or on a wooden deck with either walls or railings limiting my ability to take a stance and swing. 

Thinking it rather odd, I never mentioned my dream to anybody .  Having said that, it probabaly sounds just as odd that I visit a website about golf courses with several members that share a similar bizarre and recurring dream.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »
I've had one I'm sure had by many competition golfers, of being in a tournament, and being in a rut in the ground, and not being able to extricate oneself as the score for the hole mounts and mounts....

Also, I've had a few dreams of playing a long-forgotten and old golf course, usually fit into a familiar landscape in my hometown.  These places do not exist of course, and I've even tried to draw one up after waking up, but the layout isn't nearly as clear as in the dream....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 04:37:34 PM »
I've had one I'm sure had by many competition golfers, of being in a tournament, and being in a rut in the ground, and not being able to extricate oneself as the score for the hole mounts and mounts....

Also, I've had a few dreams of playing a long-forgotten and old golf course, usually fit into a familiar landscape in my hometown.  These places do not exist of course, and I've even tried to draw one up after waking up, but the layout isn't nearly as clear as in the dream....

Brad, I just had that experience (in the rut) on the Old Course when I hit my tee shots on both the Short and Eden holes into bunkers in places where you don't want to be, up against the face and also close to the left wall.  Think of Tommy Nakajima......... :P

My dream of not having clubs and/or shoes when it's time to play also involves a course that is unidentified but one I really want to play.  I can visualize the 10th tee on the back side of the clubhouse, slightly elevated, with the hole playing almost forever up a narrow fairway.

Of course I don't have any clubs so it doesn't really matter......... ::)

Jim Johnson

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 08:45:44 PM »
[quote author=JJohnson link=topic=35649.msg721232#msg721232 4 of us were golfing Pebble Beach.

and once i thought i was having a nightmare about playing Pebble one time when this guy brought his pet RABBIT with him out onto the course for the round....then I realized i was indeed awake and reading a true story by a GCAer.....

Paul, if the rabbit knows the whereabouts of the 5th hole, or the golf course for that matter, or heck, even my playing partners, please have him i.m. me.

Thanks,
JJ

Dieter Jones

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 09:43:51 PM »
I'm another for the restricted swing dream  :o Oh and I though I was alone!!

I arrive at my mystery course. First hole I have to hit off from a small room through a little window - usually my playing partners somehow crack their drives straight through no problems. It's always the tee shot that is restricted. Sometimes the greekeepr sticks a tee half way up a tree with branches cramping my swing and other times he just puts the pegs up against the boundary fence. I get so frustrated because I've can picture these really interesting holes out there I want to play in my dream but I just can't get a swing at the ball.

I used to have a non golf recurring dream where my university rang me up to say that I hadn't finished the last assigment of my degree and would have to go back if I wanted to get my degree recognised. The real problem was that I never seemed to be able to actually get back there in my dreams. I would try to but something always stopped me. I haven't had that one for a few years now - perhaps it has faded in time just like most of what they taught me  :)

Let's get the dream analyser in here now, there are quite a few of us who need help by the sounds of it.
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Scott Sander

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 07:55:42 AM »
I played Lahinch with Annika Sorenstam last night.

The recurring storyline of my golf dreams used to be an impotent swing on a once-in-a-lifetime course.

This was a completely different beast - I actually completed the swing (several of them, in fact), but to deliver my intended lecture about Tour pros-turned-architectural dilletantes.

I've never seen Lahinch or met Annika, but I still woke up so disappointed in myself.

I blame you lot.

Scott Sander

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 11:54:34 AM »
in fact, they were not birds at all but the Flying Monkeys from the Wizard of Oz.

A now-defunct golf forum I used to frequent had a censor feature put together by someone who had a sense of humor. 
"Bastards" became "Flying Monkeys from the Wizard of Oz."   
That always made me smile. 
Now, reverse-engineering your nightmare makes me smile.  "In fact, they were not birds at all but bastards..."

"Big yella corn flavor, big yella corn taste"

I had a recurring nightmare about suffocating in a bag of Sugar Corn Pops.  At the time, Pops and a very few other cereals (Sugar Smacks, maybe?) had an unusually thick foil box liner which was 'glued' shut with some sort of permanently sticky non-nutritive cereal varnish or somesuch thing.  For whatever reason, the bag and the glue troubled me on some subconscious level.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »
Winning the Masters.

Cameron DeVries

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
Restricted Swing.  Wow that's amazing.  I've never shared that dream with anyone - I've had it hundreds of times.  usually I'm in some big tournament and there is a wall 2 feet behind me keeping me from taking the club back.  Actually I just had this dream two nights ago, only in this version I was playing a 3 wood down a corridor inside a house - basically trying to fit a 260 yard shot through a 8 foot by 4 foot hallway.  I had no idea this dream was so common among golfers-  Wild stuff
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their mind cannot change anything."  -George Bernard Shaw

mike_beene

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 09:53:09 PM »
Nothing has changed for me in the last few years. Lately I have been trying to tee up in the walk in closet and a dresser won't let me swing.Almost always the 16 hole which for some strange reason is all the sudden indoors and a par 3. It is probably my reaction to the out of place water hole or maybe even the old water hole at PuttPutt.I am sure this all has something to do with a long to do list.On a better note,I did dream I made the cut at the Nelson and it seems as real as if it had actually happened.The dream was several years ago and I remember it better than many real events in life.

Jason Walker

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »
Bill, I have the same dream....except its that I'm in college and I'm running late for a final to a class that I didn't go to all semester.  Being 7 years out of school, I'm hoping I'll stop having that recurring dream, but I still probably have it once a week.  Though if I switch it to your version and its at Cypress Point, I don't think it'll be any better. 

Happened to speed through this thread and saw C. Squier's post and had to respond....

I'm 17 years removed from college yet I still have dreams that literally wake me up about missing a final exam.  What is hysterical is that it's not like I ever gave a $hit about a final when I was in college, yet now I panic.  Let me propose a toast to a 2.8 GPA!

One more thing--GO DAWGS!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »
For those who didn't see the post that started this thread on golf dreams - or nightmares - here it is from 2008.

I ask again, what are YOUR golf dreams?

After a couple of glasses of a nice bordeaux, and still in a good mood from watching Greg Norman and listening to Tom Watson at Birkdale today -- shut up, Mike Tirico! -- I am in a tell all mood and invite others to share their golf dreams.

Not your golf visions or goals - your actual dreams that you dream at night......

I have what psychiatrists would have a field day with I'm sure.

My recurring dream is this:

I'm playing a top level course, usually one I've been invited to play, it's never clear which one.

My appointed tee time arrives and I am ready to head onto the tee.

My clubs are nowhere to be found.  Occasionally I haven't put my  golf shoes on yet either.

So  I race around and look for my clubs, or get my shoes on, maybe both.

By the time I get to the first tee, my group is long gone.   I never find them, I never get to play.

I wake up in a cold sweat.

This dream happens in recurring cycles, sometimes absent for months, sometimes every night for a while.

Paging Dr. Katz.....

What are YOUR golf dreams?

Nigel Islam

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 10:55:18 PM »
Clint Im 18 years out of school and stopped having that one about the time i had to start changing diapers. The nightmares just change!

MWagner

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
Bill,

Very interesting question.  My golf dream starts with a back story...when ever I get invited to play a course that is on my bucket list I am restless....let's say that another way...I can't sleep...when i was headed to Clementon i could not sleep for 3 days...i like I tell my sons when they can't sleep a story of old man par where  we walk the course...happy place...for me it's how I break old man par at the course I grew up on in in Cary NC....MacGregor Downs CC...  My boys are usually out before the par 3 down the hill, hole 3.  I usually am out before a tap in on 18.  As restless as I get, I usually play and score well when I have that kind of thought behind a round.  I had a shank dream for a while and than nothing...I stopped getting excited about the rounds and found my self in Garden City and had a true meltdown...for a month or so I relived it in my nightmare...it was bad but it's in my head.  I'm a 16 handicap and if I didn't pick up some holes I would have shot 195....putter, lob, 5 iron, hybrid and driver....15 ft dead right...horrible.  Fortuanatly, I'm back...

Mike

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2015, 10:24:06 AM »
Dredging up this old topic again. 

My persistent dream about golf - where I never get to play when it's my turn because I can't find my clubs, or shoes or whatever - took an unexpected turn last night when Jack Nicklaus appeared in my dream!   We were supposed to play together but somehow, as always, something happened that prevented me from playing.   

Paging Dr. Katz. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2015, 10:32:07 AM »
I dream about Wolf Point and the courses of the sand hills. When I die I hope my first meal is a burger on Bens Porch.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back