News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

With all these different types of sand being used, will bunker sand blasted from greenside bunkers onto putting greens affected the condition of the greens over time?  Do they put different "stuff" into the sand so they do not plug?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Josh Stevens

Re: Bunker sand blasted from greenside bunkers onto putting greens
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 06:45:01 PM »
I think that depends on the course.  My track is built on sand and so the bunkers are full of whatever they happen to find when they dig a hole.  No sand is brought it. So its all quite natural and is probably quite good for the greens I would think, although over time the lips will increase in height and retreat from the green but that is slow

Im not what is in imported sand, but Im guessing most is washed and so is likely to be pretty clean and pure, but I can certainly see the potential for contamination if not careful

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 08:29:30 PM »
To quote OTM "More sand Honeyman, more sand!"

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 06:12:48 AM »
To quote OTM "More sand Honeyman, more sand!"

and I always thought OTM had a Scots accent :D

Tom Kelly

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:16:33 PM »
I believe many courses try to use the same sand in their bunkers as they use for topdressing if possible.

Chris Hans

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:12:33 PM »
Physical properties of greens' topdressing sand and bunker sand are usually very different, depending on the club.

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 11:04:26 PM »
In the Chicago area, many courses have gone to manufactured bunker sand which is often relatively coarse and designed to limit washouts after heavy rains.  But much finer, kiln dried sand is often used for top dressing.  Note our greens are either of the push up variety or USGA spec.  They are not sand based and there are few local sources for bunker sand.

Paul Jones

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 11:16:57 PM »
In the Chicago area, many courses have gone to manufactured bunker sand which is often relatively coarse and designed to limit washouts after heavy rains.  But much finer, kiln dried sand is often used for top dressing.  Note our greens are either of the push up variety or USGA spec.  They are not sand based and there are few local sources for bunker sand.

SL_Solow - that is the question I am asking, will the manufactured bunker sand from greenside bunkers splash and affect/destroy the greens over time?  Or even the fringes?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back