News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Hanover CC in Abbottstown, PA - 1923 J.W. Gitt (?)
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »
I was talking with a knowledgeable and good player today who spoke highly of Hanover CC in Abbottstown, PA. I had not heard of the course and their web-site was fairly useless. The history that is on the site states:

The Hanover Country Club golf course was built in 1923 during the golden era of American Golf.  The founding members of Hanover Country Club were members of some of the most legendary golf clubs of the times including Pine Valley, Oakmont, Pinehurst and Augusta.  A horse farm was purchased by these gentlemen and Hanover Country Club was born, incorporating elements of these great course designs.

J.W. Gitt, one of those founders, described the horse farm as "open meadows with a lot of grass and rich soil."  With this basis, Hanover Country Club has grown into a mature premier golf venue.  It is known and respected for its tight tree lined fairways, small and fast undulating greens, strategically placed greenside bunkers and moguls. 

In the early days, the original horse barn served as the basis for the club house.  Then during the late 1940's a large swimming pool and subsequently, tennis courts were added.  Today, with its dining and banquet facilities and its unique history, Hanover Country Club is truly a full service Country Club.

I found one site that attributed the course to J. W. Gitt, but I feel like that is likely based on a mistaken reading of the club's website.

Has anyone played the course  and or knows anything about it. Based on the person who I was talking to it sounds like it should be on my radar. The recommendation was for a 36 hole day with CC of York as a good day of old-school architecture.

Joe Bausch

Re: Hanover CC in Abbottstown, PA - 1923 J.W. Gitt (?)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »
According to a 1938 Phila Inquirer article, Gitt was a York newspaper owner.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 03:52:18 PM »
Played it last year and it was a very enjoyable round. Everything is out in front of you with only 1 or 2 forced carries. If I recall they had some nice mid to long length par threes.. The greens reminded me of a Ross design, not exactly but in a general feel.

All in all a very nice round of golf.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »
I assume that Ross was in the area in 1926-7 with the construction of CC of York.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 04:21:43 PM »
From Mike Cirba:

Jim,

In reply to your question about Hanover Country Club, please see the following link.   J.W. Gitt was a local attorney, also described in a 1922 article as "a prominent local golfer".   The land they ended up purchasing for the course was known as the "William Gitt Farm", after apparently looking at other sites.

http://www.yorkblog.com/yorktownsquare/2007/10/19/why-is-hanover-country-club-in/

If you're looking to do a 36 this year with CC of York, I'd love to join you as I've played neither and hear terrific things about both.

Best Regards,
Mike

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 04:55:08 PM »
According to a 1938 Phila Inquirer article, Gitt was a York newspaper owner.

Wow- a golden oldie within 200 miles of Villanova that Joe hasn't played?   Inconceivable.  :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:14:31 PM by Chris DeNigris »

Jim Sherma

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 07:42:11 PM »
Just looked in Cornish and Whitten and they have they attribute rebuilds to both William Gordon (No date) and Ferdinand "Fred" Garbin (1986), there is no attribution as to the original architect.

Garbin is said to have been a big fan of Donald Ross and worked on several Ross courses. Maybe this would explain the Ross feel to the greens.

Mike and Joe: I'll gladly set that day up once we get into some nicer weather.

West Shore CC and CC of Harrisburg are two more old school treats out this way.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 09:27:27 PM »
[/URL]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:08:16 AM by Mark_Fine »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:40:08 PM »
Hanover CC opened in 1923.  J.W. Gitt designed the original 18 holes but many others have had their hand in the changes including William Gordon in the 1950’s, Ferdinand Garbin in the 1980’s, as well as Gil Hanse in the early 2000's.  Scott Witter and I did a Master Plan for Hanover in 2010 and have been working on the course ever since.  Many changes and improvements have been made.  It really is a special golf course and the membership has been very enthusiastic about the work over the last five years. 

Mark_Fine

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »
I finally figured out to post the Master Plan rendering - see above.  If anyone is interested in playing the golf course, just let me know and I will set you up. 
Mark

Jim Sherma

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 10:39:29 AM »
I finally figured out to post the Master Plan rendering - see above.  If anyone is interested in playing the golf course, just let me know and I will set you up. 
Mark

Joe - when we get to spring let's get a date that works for you and Mike and we can get this set up. This sounds like a great 36 hole day. I need golf and will gladly find the time for this.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 06:25:23 AM »
Here is a fairly detailed description of the course in 1935:

Jim Sherma

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 03:50:50 PM »
Heading out to Hanover CC tomorrow (8/5). It's been two or three years since I was last out there and wondering is any new work has been done in the meantime. I like Hanover and think there is a lot of good land out there for golf. The newer holes felt out of place though.

Drew Maliniak

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 05:51:58 PM »
Quite a bit of underrated golf in that area.

Schuylkill CC is also quite fun on other side of Harrisburg. Half Ross/Park.

I want to see Galen Hall (Tillinghast) in that area too.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:57:27 PM by Drew Maliniak »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 07:13:09 PM »
We have done quite a bit of work on the course over the years including some bunker work, a ton of tree removal/management, drainage work, stream bank alteration/preservation, tee work, grassing lines, (a completely new green/greensite on #12), ...  Likely more work is this fall (we have been working away at the plan every year).  The new holes that you say don't really fit in were built by Gil Hanse years ago.  We will be changing them considerably as you can see on the Master Plan. 

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 05:32:12 AM »

Play Manor with Galen Hall.

Where are you from?
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 07:45:40 AM »

Play Manor with Galen Hall.

Where are you from?

Hope these courses made it through yesterday’s storm alright. They surely got walloped and the famous Moat green is in harms way.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back