News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Camera for Golf Course Photograhy
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:28:51 PM »
I've been using the iPhone 5s for taking golf course photos for a while and am thinking it's time to get something a bit better.

As technology in everything is moving on, what are the latest cameras that are best for taking photos?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Benjamin Litman

Re: Camera for Golf Course Photograhy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:16:45 PM »
After extensive research last summer, I bought the Sony RX100 II. It's as good as you can get without buying a DSLR (and I avoid DSLRs because they are too big and cumbersome to travel with, especially while golfing). But because technology advances so quickly, I would be sure to do extensive research (try the reviews on CNET.com for starters) before you make a purchase. Indeed, even by the time I bought my camera (June 2014), Sony had already released the next iteration--the RX100 III. In general, I'm a big fan of Sony's compact digital cameras. Good luck.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:56:04 PM »
If you are taking photos for fun, an iPhone works. If you are taking them to frame and display or use for a book, as I do, you have to have a SLR. I use a Canon 30D, which happened to be the last one before video was added. (The 70D is the current model now.) A couple of lenses, one medium wide and one telephoto (both zooms that are razor sharp), and you're set. Get a lens filter for the medium lens to play with.

I also have a Canon Powershot I can throw in my bag, but that's more for fun.

Good luck, and tell us what you get!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Will Spivey

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »
Get whatever Jon Cavalier uses.  I've played with him, and his camera is a small point and shoot job, but his photos are amazing.  I know he adjusts the camera settings a certain way, but doesn't do much/any photo shop on his pics.  See his recent Sleepy Hollow course tour to see what i'm talking about.  Amazing. 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 08:23:54 PM »
Get whatever Jon Cavalier uses.  I've played with him, and his camera is a small point and shoot job, but his photos are amazing.  I know he adjusts the camera settings a certain way, but doesn't do much/any photo shop on his pics.  See his recent Sleepy Hollow course tour to see what i'm talking about.  Amazing. 

+1

Jon's photographs are incredible.

WW

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:40:55 PM »
I'd agree with tim, really depends on how 'into' photography you are. I have been using my slr for a few years and whilst it is more cumbersome to take round, it provides great results and especially if you learn how play around with the apertures etc to get the most out of the light.  I also just wander around courses without my clubs around dawn and dusk so it's not an issue then obviously. a good telephoto lens to attach is a must but you don't need to go all out with tripods etc. 

in saying that I forgot to take my slr on my last trip and the iPhone pics came out really well but I missed the ability to use my zoom lens.

Blake Conant

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:34:06 PM »
I've got a Pentax K-50 that took some really awful photos before I figured out how to use it.  Now it takes mediocre photos.  Can't take it around when I play, though.  Too clunky.

If you're going to be photographing while playing and the photos you want are quality -- but not professional quality -- a point and shoot might be your best bet. 

Dan Moore

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 12:31:48 AM »
I think it depends on a few things. Where you want to use your photos, your budget and if you take photos while you are playing.

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
I use a camera that will fit in my left pocket, that can stay there whilst I play.
That way, I can take pics quickly without (I hope) intruding on my fellow playing partners.

Following advice from others here a few years ago, I purchased a Canon S95.  Very happy.

It 'only' has 4x magnification, but that is plenty for golf, and ensures the camera is decent whilst still pocket-sized.  If you want, you can always reshape and crop the photos later.  You don't have a lot of time to do that in the course of a round, so I believe a DSLR would just be overkill and intrusive.

Now, if I was a photographer, that would be another matter, but I wouldn't be playing golf and taking pictures at the same time.

Previously, I used Panasonic LUMIX which were also fine, and pocket sized (as long as the zoom wasn't excessive).

James B

ps  always remember spare batteries and spare memory cards, and always start with a full battery.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Josh Stevens

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 10:42:55 PM »
I have a suspicion that time of day also plays a part.

Pics in the morning and evening, when sun is at a lower level is superior as the shadows and contrast greatly accentuate the land features.  Midday in blazing sun is just flat and washed out.

Also best not to zoom too much.  trying to take a pic of a green 300m away by using a powerful zoom is not great - may be a great lens but haze and general crap in the air will distort

So get up early in the cooler parts of the year for clear air and nice sun angles and your iPhone will work fine

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 08:44:02 AM »
"Magic hour," just after sunrise and just before sunset, can make even a novice photog look like a genius.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »
Will and Wade: thanks for your kind remarks.

Padraig:
I get asked this question a lot, and I'm always happy to give my thoughts. But let me preface this by saying that I'm neither a pro photographer or an expert on this subject. So take from me what you will. Here is what I consider important in a camera:

Size:
I shoot 95% of my golf photos while I'm playing during the round. The other 5% I shoot after the round (I occasionally walk back out on the course to take a few extras). Since I'm often playing with other people, and for my own convenience, the camera needs to be small enough to be unobtrusive. For me, I need to be able to put the camera in the pocket of my pants, and it needs to fit comfortably, even if I'm hitting a shot with it in there. So SLRs are out. To be honest, I haven't found this to be a huge loss, as the quality of mirrorless and point and shoot cameras has gotten so good. I have a DSLR and I almost never find myself using it anymore. Plus, the smaller the camera, the more likely you'll be to bring it with you.

Customization:
As Will mentioned, I don't do a lot of post-processing on my photos. It takes too long, and I'm too lazy. I don't know how to use photoshop. Any editing I do is on an iPad. So it's important that the photos come out of the camera looking how I want them to look. The easiest way to do this is to configure the camera the way I want it before I shoot. So make sure you have one that lets you set it up how you want it.

Quality:
This is almost a moot point these days, because even the low end digitals have gotten so good, but you want a camera that has enough resolution and sharpness to let you crop down your shots, and one that gives good color rendition.

Speed:
It's important to me that my camera is fast since I shoot while I play - I would hate to annoy the people I'm playing with. So it has to be able to go from off to ready to shoot very quickly. Again, this is rarely a problem with today's cameras.

Extras:
These are totally a matter of preference.
Zoom - Do you want to be able to zoom in? If you've got enough resolution and sharpness, this is a luxury as you can usually crop to zoom more than close enough. But having a zoom can also let you alter the depth of a photo - the closer you zoom, the closer objects at different distances will appear. This can be useful, but it can also be a drawback. I use two cameras to shoot golf photos - one has a zoom, the other doesn't. Pros and cons to each.
GPS - this can be a nice feature to track where your shots were taken. I don't use it.
Wifi - how do you prefer to transfer your photos off the camera? I use an iPad adapter myself.

There are many other smaller features, but you really can't go wrong with your choice of camera. Even the later iPhones are more than adequate.  It's a matter of personal preference more than anything else. The best tip I can give you is to learn whatever you buy in and out, and to practice extensive trial and error to get the look that you like.

Hope this is useful to you. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss, or if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Jon
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

JReese

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 04:02:45 AM »

+1

Jon's photographs are incredible.

WW

+2

Good question Padraig.  I've been in the market quite some time trying to figure out which camera to buy for golf course photography but can't seem to pull the trigger.  Does the top of the line $1400 point and shoot really take better landscape pics than the discounted $200 model from a few years ago?  It seems like the big selling point these days is the sensor size.  The cameras I am currently considering from the low to high end are the canon s110, nikon p7800, nikon coolpix A, ricoh GR, sony rx100 ii or iii, or fuji x100s.  Decisions decisions.....let us know what you end up with!
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »
I just re-armed with the Sony DSC-RX100! Paid about $350. No golf photos yet but took some Florida beach pics a few weeks ago and they were brilliant!

Didn't feel compelled to spring for the III at it's current price point and with less zoom range.

James Bennett

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 03:14:18 PM »
I'll be interested to hear your choice, especially as the canon s110 (upgrades from s95) is an option.  Especially why you make your choice - there are always compromises.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »
Will and Wade: thanks for your kind remarks.

Padraig:
I get asked this question a lot, and I'm always happy to give my thoughts. But let me preface this by saying that I'm neither a pro photographer or an expert on this subject. So take from me what you will. Here is what I consider important in a camera:

Size:
I shoot 95% of my golf photos while I'm playing during the round. The other 5% I shoot after the round (I occasionally walk back out on the course to take a few extras). Since I'm often playing with other people, and for my own convenience, the camera needs to be small enough to be unobtrusive. For me, I need to be able to put the camera in the pocket of my pants, and it needs to fit comfortably, even if I'm hitting a shot with it in there. So SLRs are out. To be honest, I haven't found this to be a huge loss, as the quality of mirrorless and point and shoot cameras has gotten so good. I have a DSLR and I almost never find myself using it anymore. Plus, the smaller the camera, the more likely you'll be to bring it with you.

Customization:
As Will mentioned, I don't do a lot of post-processing on my photos. It takes too long, and I'm too lazy. I don't know how to use photoshop. Any editing I do is on an iPad. So it's important that the photos come out of the camera looking how I want them to look. The easiest way to do this is to configure the camera the way I want it before I shoot. So make sure you have one that lets you set it up how you want it.

Quality:
This is almost a moot point these days, because even the low end digitals have gotten so good, but you want a camera that has enough resolution and sharpness to let you crop down your shots, and one that gives good color rendition.

Speed:
It's important to me that my camera is fast since I shoot while I play - I would hate to annoy the people I'm playing with. So it has to be able to go from off to ready to shoot very quickly. Again, this is rarely a problem with today's cameras.

Extras:
These are totally a matter of preference.
Zoom - Do you want to be able to zoom in? If you've got enough resolution and sharpness, this is a luxury as you can usually crop to zoom more than close enough. But having a zoom can also let you alter the depth of a photo - the closer you zoom, the closer objects at different distances will appear. This can be useful, but it can also be a drawback. I use two cameras to shoot golf photos - one has a zoom, the other doesn't. Pros and cons to each.
GPS - this can be a nice feature to track where your shots were taken. I don't use it.
Wifi - how do you prefer to transfer your photos off the camera? I use an iPad adapter myself.

There are many other smaller features, but you really can't go wrong with your choice of camera. Even the later iPhones are more than adequate.  It's a matter of personal preference more than anything else. The best tip I can give you is to learn whatever you buy in and out, and to practice extensive trial and error to get the look that you like.

Hope this is useful to you. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss, or if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Jon

Thanks for the answer Jon, what camera do use?
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 05:03:19 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm really looking at 2 options, one easy option for when playing either phone or compact digital and then a second option for better photos when walking a course something like a Canon 70d or similar.

- Pablo Picasso

Howard Riefs

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 05:38:47 PM »
As an aside...

Padraig, even with an iPhone 5 as his primary camera (which surprises me), is one of my favorite follows on Instagram.  You can see his great golf photography at:

https://instagram.com/podged/

https://instagram.com/mysticirishgolf/

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Dan Moore

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 07:37:50 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm really looking at 2 options, one easy option for when playing either phone or compact digital and then a second option for better photos when walking a course something like a Canon 70d or similar.

Phones are rapidly replacing small compact cameras.  My new iPhone 6 takes very sharp photos though I haven't tried any golf shots with it.  Those would be fine for display on computer screens, but they are only as good as the small lens in the phone.  Once you want to start printing larger than 5x7 you'll want more image quality than a compact or phone will give you.  

Given what you are looking at I suggest taking a look at the Sony A6000.  Its has a very large APSC sensor like those found in smaller DSLR's like the 70D, but since its mirrorless it has a smaller body like a compact camera.  You can get it with two zoom lenses (the 16-50 and 55-210) for $850.  Also best in its category for video.  

You can get more info here.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a6000

and see what kind of image quality it is capable of in the right hands here. I assume the video was shot with the A6000. 

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1155478085/real-world-test-the-sony-a6000-goes-surfing-with-chris-burkard?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=features-default&utm_medium=homepage-block&ref=features-default

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:42:17 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Kevin Markham

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 11:34:53 AM »
Padraig, I've seen plenty of your photographs - if you're doing that with an iPhone you haven't got too much to worry about.
The obvious question is: what do you want the photographs for? Are you looking for fast and easy, or something with different lenses and big sensors?

The iPhone is perfect for Social Media - I snap shots as I go around and often post to Twitter.

I know others have said that technology is a big issue and changing all the time but, unless you're a big tech-head, once you get a camera and you're happy with it you're not going to be peering through store windows pining for the latest piece of kit. A fairly pointless exercise and, as Jon points out, it is far better to get closely acquainted with the camera you end up buying.

I have a DSLR (Nikon D600) that accompanies me to most courses, but usually stays in the car while I'm playing. It's big and cumbersome and ill-suited to the golf bag. I take shots before or after, or make specific trips where golf doesn't come into it. Whipping out the tripod on the 4th tee, choosing a lens and then adjusting your filters tends to slow down the pace of play, and increase the irritation of your playing partners.

My small camera is a Canon G1X. I always bring this with me and hang it off the handle of the trolley. You just never know what shots might crop up - like this one from Carne, Co. Mayo.

The downside is it's never going to fit in your pocket. But it does have good video.

When I bought it a couple of years back it was a choice between that and one of the Sonys (no idea which one) - which was very small and highly rated. If you're after something to fit in your pocket, one of the Sonys is a good way to go. The guys at Conns Cameras (off Grafton Street) will give you good advice (and excellent after sales service - which you don't get to such a degree when you buy online!).

Good luck

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 04:28:57 PM »
As an aside...

Padraig, even with an iPhone 5 as his primary camera (which surprises me), is one of my favorite follows on Instagram.  You can see his great golf photography at:

https://instagram.com/podged/

https://instagram.com/mysticirishgolf/

Thanks very much Howard. You are also one of my favourite follows.

As another aside, if anyone would like to feature any of their Irish golf photos on the MysticIrishGolf instagram page feel free to email photos to me at padraig@drivegolfperformance.com.

- Pablo Picasso

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »
The most important camera is your eye. It's in your head...what you see, and then capturing what you see in the photograph.

Early morning and later afternoon, the golden hours, offer your best light.

Take a wide angle lens over one with a long focal length.  Lenses make a bigger difference than cameras.
A good lens lasts lifetimes. 

Foreground matters.

A level horizon is basic.

Seeing the flag in context is crucial.

Elevation enhances a photo.  Often, I carry a small camera mounted atop a monopod in my bag.
I preset the exposure (small f-stop), hit the multiple burst delay button, hoist it high, guesstimate the best shot, and then rotate the
camera up or down to capture the scene. Shoot wider than you need. Crop later.

People  date photos of golf holes. They come between the viewer and his experience. 

Sunset shots are mostly cheesy, a dime a dozen.

The higher the resolution, the better your shot. Shoot RAW, not Jpg.
Use a program like Lightroom to enhance the curves, colors and white balance.
Often, I bust the thing into black and white to work the color tones (red, green, yellow, etc) in gray scale.
Then, pop it back to color and adjust.
Do not oversaturate or overcook your photos.
Do not show the hand.
Let it be natural.

Cameras? My big one is a Nikon D-800 with either 14-24 or 24-70mm lenses. Occasionally I use a 200 mm lens, but only to show an entire hole in a compressed scene. That's 36 megapixels when shooting RAW and more after processing. I have made and sold 6 foot prints from the thing.

Small camera? Have had very good luck walking around with a Canon S100 (or 110 or 120). All shoot RAW and have a
24mm lens equivalent. They're smaller than a pack of cigarettes. Canon's G7x would be another good choice.  It has a larger sensor. I prefer it to the newer Sony models because the menu is more straight-forward with equal image quality.

My new walk-around camera is a beauty...a retro-looking gem...and relatively cheap....the Fujifilm X30. It's also very small and has an accurate electronic viewfinder for precisely setting exposures. Focal range is roughy 28mm-120mm, which covers just about everything.
A RAW exposure goes roughly 12 mpxls...more than enough.

Mostly, however...again. You can make a decent photograph with any camera as long as you see it first and have a
basic understanding of how to use it.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:03:09 PM by Wayne_Freedman »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 08:21:06 PM »
Wayne, I'm reading about raw vs jpg here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Can you elaborate on why you prefer raw?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 10:12:13 PM »
Wayne, you or me?

BTW, Just do what Wayne says . . . . . . he is splendiferous. Raw is the way to go, but we use different editing programs, so might have a slightly different perspective.

First off, if you are serious, please don't shoot as you play. Bad idea for more reasons than I can count. There are some fabulous Canon, Nikon and Leica compact cameras with rockin' glass, but it is impossible to create art on the fly with a 7-iron in your hand and a compact camera in your pocket.

Please trust me on this. Ran is damned good, but if you're being pressed from behind and not shooting raw, it is a waste of time. Mind you, I take this deadly seriously, so shooting perfectly composed, correctly exposed photographs at the right time of day takes patience. If you managed to pull something from your ass of actual merit. chalk it up to blind luck.

I shoot with a Canon 5D, Mark III with a full range of glass. Wayne is right, wider is generally better, but there is a reason lenses go from 8mm to 500mm.

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 10:13:28 PM »
Joe,
If you're serious about making a large quality print on paper, it makes all the difference in the world.
RAW is unprocessed. It's the full file...all information, like the negative in your old 35mm camera.
The color may appear more flat and the image less sharp, but only because the camera does nothing to them.
They leave the interpretation to you in post processing.

JPG images, by contrast,  take that information and throw much of it out. The files are much smaller and
may look better, sharper and more colorful at first glance because the camera processes them.  
However, if you don't like what the camera did and you want to pull a detail out of the shot, there is less with which to work.

You're unlikely to get a 4x6 foot print from a JPG. You can get one from a RAW file, but that assume you know what to do with it in post.
It isn't that difficult and often much improved simply by working exposure, contrast, saturation, tone, and white balance.

Most cameras that shoot RAW also provide the option of filing as a JPG as well. You might want to try it.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:15:32 PM by Wayne_Freedman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back