News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Stevens

Re: New South Wales GC (Review and Photo Tour)
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »
Great site, but alas the bunkering is poor.  As the pics show, the contrast between revetted pot bunkers, new frilly things and sandy waste looks horribly contrived and is just poor work.

I also note the lack of any comments about the 3rd hole and the worst tee shot in the known universe

Ben Attwood

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »
Perhaps it was because I was on holiday, or because I only played it once but I actually preferred NSW to the sandbelt courses.

It was more thrilling.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 02:53:09 PM »
Peter's and Joe's comments about the turf at NSW got me thinking about "winter" golf versus "summer" golf. Again, I visited NSW (and all of the Australian courses I've reviewed here) in early August 2014--i.e., during the Australian winter. Obviously, the Australian winter is VERY different from our winter--at least here in the northeast. So the better comparison is probably between Australia winter golf and, say, South Carolina winter golf, which I was fortunate enough to experience for the last five days on a last-minute birthday getaway. Reviews and photo tours of most of the courses I played are forthcoming (the itinerary was Harbour Town, Heron Point, May River, and Belfair East), but for now I'll invoke the words of our (mandatory) caddie at May River, who said that the condition in which we found the course (browns and greens of various shades, none verdant--except, perhaps, for the neon-green spraypainted 18th green) was "the best" condition it's in all year from a playability standpoint. I see his point: In the winter, courses down there are as firm and fast as they'll ever get--which, frankly, is not all that firm and fast given the low-lying nature of the surrounds. I'm sure May River and the other courses down there are "prettier" in the spring and summer--they looked nothing like the glorious pictures in the locker rooms, but, again, I prefer brown on my golf courses because it provides more of a visual contrast--but I can only imagine how the humid air makes them soggy and slow. So, as a general matter, and excluding places that get snow, is winter turf superior to summer turf?

Ben: I also played NSW on holiday and only once, but I preferred the Sandbelt courses and overall experience. They provide the links experience (in terms of turf) without the constant challenge of the wind that a true links presents. Don't get me wrong: I love true links golf and strong wind, but for everyday play, it gets to be a bit taxing, so the Sandbelt (which still has wind, just a weaker one) appeals to me more. I also found NSW to be somewhat inconsistent (see my comments about the three main "areas" of the course), whereas the Sandbelt courses cohered better for me. The sheer number and proximity of great Sandbelt courses also helps. But, again, NSW is a great course, so I can see how some would choose it above the Sandbelt.

Josh: No doubt the tee shot on 3 is, well, interesting. It would be nice if they told you in the pro shop where to aim, because when you're on the tee as a first-time player, and without members, it's impossible to know. The tee shot is unfortunate, because the rest of the hole is actually quite appealing. As for the bunkering, I'm not sure I understand your point. Do you know whether the mix of styles (pot bunkers, frilly things, waste areas) is a new thing or the way the bunkers were originally designed? Castle Stuart also has a mix, and it works there. I noted the mix at NSW but wasn't offended by it. But if I were, I'm not sure which style I would change to be more like the others. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:25:35 PM by Benjamin Litman »
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

David Bartman

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 05:20:40 PM »
Great site, but alas the bunkering is poor.  As the pics show, the contrast between revetted pot bunkers, new frilly things and sandy waste looks horribly contrived and is just poor work.

I also note the lack of any comments about the 3rd hole and the worst tee shot in the known universe

I was there in November and was disappointed.  I also noticed the omission of any pic of the third hole, one of the worst in the world. 
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Ben Attwood

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 07:20:08 AM »
Ben: I also played NSW on holiday and only once, but I preferred the Sandbelt courses and overall experience. They provide the links experience (in terms of turf) without the constant challenge of the wind that a true links presents. Don't get me wrong: I love true links golf and strong wind, but for everyday play, it gets to be a bit taxing, so the Sandbelt (which still has wind, just a weaker one) appeals to me more. I also found NSW to be somewhat inconsistent (see my comments about the three main "areas" of the course), whereas the Sandbelt courses cohered better for me. The sheer number and proximity of great Sandbelt courses also helps. But, again, NSW is a great course, so I can see how some would choose it above the Sandbelt.

Josh: No doubt the tee shot on 3 is, well, interesting. It would be nice if they told you in the pro shop where to aim, because when you're on the tee as a first-time player, and without members, it's impossible to know. The tee shot is unfortunate, because the rest of the hole is actually quite appealing. As for the bunkering, I'm not sure I understand your point. Do you know whether the mix of styles (pot bunkers, frilly things, waste areas) is a new thing or the way the bunkers were originally designed? Castle Stuart also has a mix, and it works there. I noted the mix at NSW but wasn't offended by it. But if I were, I'm not sure which style I would change to be more like the others. Thoughts?

I think it was a little bit of a kid in sweet shop for me at NSW. Perhaps not a sustainable diet but a sugar rush that has yet to be matched. Being from the UK, links golf is quite familiar and perhaps the novelty of NSW did it for me. My scoring was poor, the wind made a mockery of par and it lacked the refinement of say, Royal Melbourne, but it gave me more joy.

The overall criticism from me was it lacked some congruity. The 18th suddenly felt like I was at a different course and the 17th wasn't my favourite. I also shared my opinion with a Australia golf digest course reviewer who said that people feel that there are a few weak holes in the middle of the course that mean it falls below the top tier. As a first timer, playing matchplay in strong wind I didn't notice them. Perhpas there is also less to learn there than at the best sandbelt courses.

Ad to the 3rd, it is a blind shot much like other blind tee shots. If you don't like them there will be lots of tee shots around the world that would equally rank as the 'worst ever'. Personally a blind shot is an addition to a course because it changes the balance between visual and mental. The player must swing to an imaginary target and avoid imaginary dangers. Perhaps one can imagine more danger than there is, weakening the conviction of the swing. This happend to me on the 3rd: I set up for a draw with a 5 wood on my guests advice, but fearing the left side and its unknown dangers I bailed out with a weak cut. It was still in play and I had a pitch up to a magnificent green setting but the hole had inflicted a mental victory over me. I can only hope to play there again, and fight back.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back