News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe_Tucholski

A new template name - the "feel good" par 3
« on: February 16, 2015, 05:37:32 AM »
When the topic of bashing Golf Digest comes about I usually interject that I still get some enjoyment of reading the magazine (I don't work for or know anyone who works for GD) and point to the newish architecture feature penned under Jack Nicklaus' name.  This month brought strategy of the "feel good" par three to the commoner.  I joke about the name but honestly I'm glad GD has these feature articles.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2015-02/jack-nicklaus-playing-downhill-slopes

Bill_McBride

Re: A new template name - the "feel good" par 3
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:32:32 AM »
I wonder why he doesn't just call it a "Redan?"

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:11:38 AM »

;D  I wondered the same thing, it would have brought the education level up a bit more with appropriate terms.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:37:07 AM »

Redan's don't have 5 sets of tees...... ::) ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:08:07 PM »

I have less problem with 5 sets of tees than I do Jack suggesting that he designed the hole on his own without referencing that it is obviously based up the Redan...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 07:19:48 PM »

I have less problem with 5 sets of tees than I do Jack suggesting that he designed the hole on his own without referencing that it is obviously based up the Redan...

Wait a minute, Jack "Karnak" Nicklaus didn't invent the Redan?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 07:37:05 PM »
Beg to differ, as this is not a Redan. A Redan is difficult. This offers a backstop to steer my high handicap, wildly directed shot onto the green and make me feel good. Thanks Jack!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 07:52:27 PM »

Looks like it would have to a liberal interpretation.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill Brightly

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 08:16:46 PM »

Looks like it would have to a liberal interpretation.

Why, Bill? Except for playing slightly downhill, it has all of the elements of a Redan. Kickmound, angled green, Redan bunkering. 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:28 PM »
Bill,
I think Bill McBride was agreeing with you.

If you meant me - it's only a guess from the photo, never seen the hole in person. I could be wrong, and 'liberal' might be an overstatement,  but just how much of the Redan concept is lost if the green is as it appears in the photo - pretty tame with what appears to be a raised rear section?

George, 1999:
What more accurate way to describe a ‘Redan’ than Macdonald’s own words? ‘Take a narrow tableland, tilt it a little from right to left, dig a deep bunker on the front side, approach it diagonally, and you have a Redan.’ Bear in mind when Macdonald says ’tilt,’ he means it. At National, hole #4 falls over five feet from front to rear.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:50:03 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

DMoriarty

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:09:39 PM »
Too bad the description was written as if it were his original idea.   

On the other hand, it is nice to read that the Nicklaus people are "occasionally" designing and building such holes.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »
A Redan is uphill and has the green run away from you.  It doesn't have a backstop.  This looks like a modified (and rather easier) version.  I wouldn't think of this as a Redan.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back