News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Drones and Golf Course Architecture
« on: February 15, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »
Drone golf tours have become more common on golf course websites.  Have any architects used them yet?  I could see a variety of potential uses for them.  For example an architect could take a drone tour of a myriad of potential routings.  Has anyone used them or contemplated using them?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryancalo/2015/02/15/how-the-faas-proposed-drone-rules-will-affect-what-you-care-about/

Jon Cavalier

Re: Drones and Golf Course Architecture
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
I'm not a GCA, but I do have a drone, and I can't imagine a more useful tool (at least on the affordable side).
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 01:59:40 PM »
Yes, I have used them for before and after images for membership proposals.
Since its all high definition and digital, you can easily remove a single frame and manipulate that image.
Members can relate much easier to an aerial perspective than a plan.

I do a lot of before and after images, there are times when a high perspective is much more informative than a ground view.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 02:05:14 PM »
Yes, I have used them for before and after images for membership proposals.
Since its all high definition and digital, you can easily remove a single frame and manipulate that image.
Members can relate much easier to an aerial perspective than a plan.

I do a lot of before and after images, there are times when a high perspective is much more informative than a ground view.

Ian:

I am curious if your use of drones has led you to a better design of any hole, or whether it's just been a good tool for explaining what you want to do?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 07:40:59 PM »
I am curious if your use of drones has led you to a better design of any hole, or whether it's just been a good tool for explaining what you want to do?

Like computers, it's strictly a tool to explain something to people who can't understand a plan.
Since 4 out of 5 people can not read a plan - you have to have some form of communication they can understand.
Turns out they see and like perspectives.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 10:05:30 PM »
Jason,

What information would a drone supply that Google Earth or other aerial services can't ?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
Jason,

What information would a drone supply that Google Earth or other aerial services can't ?

Pat,

You can fly it as high as your allowed to and can point the camera in any direction.
People enjoy it for the high perspective.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 10:12:59 PM »
Jason,

Pat,

You can fly it as high as your allowed to and can point the camera in any direction.
People enjoy it for the high perspective.

Ian,

Don't Google Earth and other aerial services provide the same data ?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 10:50:08 PM »
No, not even close, it's not data, its an image or video.

Think of taking a photo of your favorite hole from 100 feet up looking down the fairway from the tee.
Imagine how much more you would see of the layout of the hole.

Like sitting in the top of a stadium watching a fast break develop in basketball.

Many golf photos are taken on a ladder to show more architecture.
Same idea, but the ladder can be hundreds of feet in the air.

Hope that helps...

BCowan

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 10:51:39 PM »
Pat,

Your keeper prob has one, take a look at it if he does.  Super cool. 

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
Drones with HD cameras can capture some amazing images. I think it lends a much better picture than anything you can get off of Google Earth.

The maintenance staff put together a YouTube video last summer around their preparations for the annual member-guest. If you're interested it gives you a pretty good idea of the type of overhead images of a golf course you can get from a drone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai2Ei7b4rJk
H.P.S.

Lester George

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
I have a drone but have not ramped up to the level of Ian with still images and such.  I do use it to look at different shade patterns, irrigation limits and traffic wear patterns in a broader sense than hole-by-hole.

I agree though that the biggest impact is for demonstration to members who cant assimilate topo or some google images.

Lester

Mike Hogan

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 10:19:59 AM »
The drone will provide a real time High Def image taken from whatever elevation you want. You can focus in on features at both micro and macro level. Google earth images are many times not current. They maybe a year two outdated. Other forms of aerial photography are many times not current. You can hire someone to take current photos for you, but they aren't cheap.   

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 10:48:36 AM »
I have seen a few flyover tours using the drone technology that are really good. You definitely get a perspective that is completely different than Google Earth.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 11:54:03 AM »
Just for the record - I do not have a drone.
There are lots of people around with them.

Frank M

Re: Drones and Golf Course Architecture New
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 01:04:52 PM »
I love my drone. As a cinematographer, it absolutely offers capabilities that are pretty much priceless. As a GCA, I can guarantee they will offer quite a bit of benefit and, as a golf club, course tours are invaluable. I don't necessarily think they need to have an overhead video tour (photos are a must), but having the overhead tours are a great added benefit.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 10:13:17 PM by Frank M »

Ryan Coles

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
Seems to me to be the immediate future of marketing golf courses.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVUPVQflLJKMOgEih_0TxDQ

The above is a course local to me and I think the drone has done a good job.

What it also does show is how even on this relatively open course the trees are starting to encroach. It also shows clearly how triplex mowing patterns are eroding green sizes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:53:21 PM by Ryan Coles »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 03:42:44 PM »
I have one. Don't actually know how to use it!
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Marc Haring

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 05:23:45 PM »
Seems to me to be the immediate future of marketing golf courses.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVUPVQflLJKMOgEih_0TxDQ

The above is a course local to me and I think the drone has done a good job.

What it also does show is how even on this relatively open course the trees are starting to encroach. It also shows clearly how triplex mowing patterns are eroding green sizes.

Blimey Ryan.

Never seen B&C look that good.

Jon McSweeny

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 05:39:07 PM »
It seems to me the drone imagery could be invaluable during the construction process in terms of passing along detailed site information to people who aren't at the project location.

Whether that information goes to an architect, engineer, vendor, owner or banker- being able to provide a nearly flawless image of a construction site could help to get beyond any number of challenges that might otherwise tie things up. I would think the size and scale of courses would have made such a thing quite challenging in even the recent past.

Anyone with any experience along those lines?

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 06:19:41 PM »
As a proud new owner of a drone, I'm curious whether restrictions exist with respect to flying them over private courses (to which the drone owner does not belong). Any insights? Thanks.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Mark Pavy

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 06:47:14 PM »
As a proud new owner of a drone, I'm curious whether restrictions exist with respect to flying them over private courses (to which the drone owner does not belong). Any insights? Thanks.

It is absolutely essential you get the course owners/GMs permission. Preferably a signed "Location Agreement" which basically states that you have the owners permission to film private property AND that you retain ownership of the footage. The "Location Agreement" can be worded as you please, but provides in writing the agreement between the owner of the private property/course and the guy doing the filming. It would not be uncommon to provide the club/course/owner a copy of the footage that is theirs use as they please, again, this is a variable that should be included in the Location Agreement depending on circumstances. Many courses will also insist on you having General or Public Liability insurance before you even step onto the site.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 06:50:50 PM »
The real trick with drones is what you do next.

Using some el cheapo drone for pics is fine, but if you are prepared to invest big bucks for a proper drone and attach a lidar system, then you get 3d models of the land form to millimetre precision.  That's useful

Scott Warren

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 06:59:31 PM »

This is an interesting question. In Australia, there is no restriction on filming private property from a public place. In terms of a private golf course (Ellerston or Capital, for example), I wonder how far above the ground "private property" ends and the airspace is "public"...

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 07:08:35 PM »
This site has added more videos since I started a thread on it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GolfTravellers/videos

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back