News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Glore

Re: New Orleans City Park Course has broken ground
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 09:09:59 AM »
My golfing buddies played it Sunday in heavy winds.  They enjoyed the layout and the conditioning was very good.
Water is in play on many holes.  They noted the difficulty of the par 3s.  Each of them enjoyed it more than the TPC Louisiana.
LaTour (David Toms) out in Mathews is officially closed, it was our go to track.  All the guys think this could be a good replacement for LaTour. 

Paul Jones

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »
My golfing buddies played it Sunday in heavy winds.  They enjoyed the layout and the conditioning was very good.
Water is in play on many holes.  They noted the difficulty of the par 3s.  Each of them enjoyed it more than the TPC Louisiana.
LaTour (David Toms) out in Mathews is officially closed, it was our go to track.  All the guys think this could be a good replacement for LaTour.

LaTour - did it shut down completely or just go private?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Matt Glore

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »

LaTour - did it shut down completely or just go private?

It tried private again, but that didn't work.  They opened it up to outside play without announcing such.  And then that didn't work and they shut it down.  We played it a week before it closed.  It was in phenomenal shape.  The word is two investors are currently looking at it.  They cut nearly all the surrounding trees and got the fairways firm. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »
Golf Digest features the renewal of City Park:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/after-katrina-from-ruin-to-renewal
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matt Glore

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 05:51:33 PM »
I've played the course twice, green fees were $99 and I think my second go around my playing partners got us a golfnow rate of $79.
 That is pretty high for the area. 

The course plays pretty well, wide plush fairways, that are in fantastic shape.  That must be where the bulk of the money went, a lot of sand brought in.  They roll as firm as many courses in the area, and look to drain very well.  The greens are underwhelming but in fantastic shape.  It's cart golf in our humidity, I wouldn't attempt to walk it. 

The layout IMO is a failure for what the city needs.  It is a very challenging course, with water in play all over, forced carries, heavy bunkering.  Some par 4s are not reachable in two by players from their correct tee box, they need to push them a box on a few holes.  One par three played 216 center 225 pin the day we played it (blue tees) with water the entire length of the hole. 

Our round was halted by a foursome that couldn't handle the difficulty.   I noticed one player picking up his ball on multiple holes because he couldn't finish the hole. 

If you play it, please save some time to play nearby Joseph Bartholomew Golf Course and see what they did with much less money and space.  I prefer it and TPC Louisiana over Bayou Oaks. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back