News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Fred Gray

State of the Atlanta Private Club World
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:04:11 PM »

I may be relocating to Atlanta, somewhere near the intersection of 285 and 400.

I would like to join somewhere for better golf access.

My priorities are:
1) A course that makes me think but does not beat me to death. My hdcp varies from mid to low teens with hope to reach single digits.
2) Ease access to a fun game, no super high stakes just good guys to play with and have a beer after.
3) Close enough to town for a late afternoon 9 now and then.

Things I do not need:
1) Over the top club house.
2) Golf factory. Tight tee times and slow play make me stay away.

I know Atlanta fairly well but have not played much golf in town. Played Druid Hills, the course and people were nice.

Not going to join Peachtree or East View. While I can spend some to join, those would be too much.

I look forward to everyone's advice. If you do not want to publish initiation costs, please PM me.

Thanks

Fred

Howard Riefs

Re: State of the Atlanta Private Club World
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 01:18:48 PM »
Chris and Mac can tell you about Rivermont, which is in that general area:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46424.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 01:45:58 PM »
The best deal in town by a long shot is to join one  of the Club Corp courses in town, and that opens up playing privileges to approx. 30 private courses in the Atlatna area, plus hundreds all over the country for cart fee only.  It almost sounds to good to be true, but Club Corp delivers exactly what they promise. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:00:06 PM by Eric Strulowitz »

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 02:19:18 PM »
Join Rivermont.  The owner is a little flameboyant but otherwise it fits what you seem to want.
He also might have some coupons for the Peachtree place and East View ;D ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:44:44 PM »
Rivermont- very good architecture, consistently good conditioning,an adequate clubhouse and affordable for regular guys. The owner/operator knows what works. Best bang for your buck in Atlanta.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 05:16:15 PM »
Fred!  Good thing your sights were locked on Peachtree, you ain't getting in!!!  :-)

Buzz me offline, if you want to chat.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
Even if you were interested in Peachtree or East Lake you'd just be spinning your wheels. Getting to a course north of the perimeter in the evening is not going to be an easy proposition as well. Like Mac and Mike, I'll parrot Rivermont as it fits your description pretty well.

I've always been intrigued by Ansley as for a downtown worker their intown club would be a great Monday-Friday club and Settindown perfect for the weekend.

Gene Greco

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 09:54:57 PM »
Rivermont
Nothing else could possibly match your criteria (or mine)  any closer.
I love the place
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Ken Fry

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:01:30 PM »
In my dark years, prior to golf course architecture appreciation, I lived in Atlanta.  1991-1994.  I had a friend who lived in a condo overlooking Rivermont.  It's threads like this that remind me once again to kick myself for never looking in to playing there.

Ken

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 10:02:02 PM »
Rivermont is awesome!

Keith Kirkendall

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 11:25:39 PM »
Rivermont is awesome!

I very much enjoyed my round there as well.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 11:45:57 PM »
It is rare that a club "gets it."
Rivermont gets it. The course is a blast.  And they have wicker baskets.
What more do you need?

Sidney Lin

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 06:26:16 AM »
When you say Atlanta golf, the only thing that springs to my mind is Piedmont Driving Club which has a "talented" membership...

http://www.drivingclub.org

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/letter-from-president-of-atlantas-piedmont-driving-club-over-drunk-behavior-2012-6

Fred Gray

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 09:23:02 AM »

As my wife will require an active ladies program, this is not the kind of program she would have interest in.

While fairly new to the game, her favorite round of her life was the 86 she shot at TOC.

Fred

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 09:48:25 AM »
I agree with everyone about the fun in playing Rivermont.  It is a great course with a relaxed atmosphere.  However, I must bring up a few points for Fred's consideration.

Fred,

It depends on where you live quite frankly. 

Druid Hills is fun, but is a total nightmare to try and get to it unless you live on the East side of Peachtree St.  If you live on that side of town, it is the perfect option.

Getting to Rivermont (or any course North of the Perimeter) after 3:00 PM is not an option unless you live up there.

If you live inside the perimeter, your choices are limited to Ansley, Capital City and Druid Hills for easy access.  Ansley and Druid Hills have the most casual atmosphere with getting a tee time being easy.

If you live North of town, your options open up.

Rivermont and Cherokee come to mind....and a ton of other options ranging from no initiation fee to $85,000 initiation fee.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 03:22:47 PM »
Fred,

Certainly feel free to shoot me a PM and I would be happy to talk to you about golf in Atlanta and certainly about my club.  For Atlanta, it is certainly true that your location will really dictate where you should join and I always tell people to join a course within 20-25 minutes of where they work or live otherwise they simply won't use the course enough.

All the best in your search and just ignore Mike Young, he is the one who has a Boy George fetish  ;)

Chris Cupit

Mike_Young

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 06:26:11 PM »
Fred,

Certainly feel free to shoot me a PM and I would be happy to talk to you about golf in Atlanta and certainly about my club.  For Atlanta, it is certainly true that your location will really dictate where you should join and I always tell people to join a course within 20-25 minutes of where they work or live otherwise they simply won't use the course enough.

All the best in your search and just ignore Mike Young, he is the one who has a Boy George fetish  ;)

Chris Cupit

I'm more into Colt Ford.....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 09:33:31 PM »
As a third party observer I think Cupit is cuter than Young.

Mike_Young

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 09:40:56 PM »
As a third party observer I think Cupit is cuter than Young.

That means so much coming from you... ;D

Chris Cupit

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 03:12:19 PM »
Fred,

Chris Cupit

I'm more into Colt Ford.....

I am emberassed to admit I knew Colt Ford and played junior golf with him before he was "Colt Ford"  :D

Plus, I've been to your house--I've seen your CD collection--I know there was a lot of Boy George and Pet Shop Boys.  I expected more from you Athens Music snobs  ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »
Well...after the AT&T the whole world knows Colt Ford....and you can thank your boy for that.... ;D ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back