News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Buck

Re: Sandhills NC
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »
Sorry to bump again, but the information has been great.

Now that we are set to play #2 at 8:00 AM our second day, I can't help but wonder if it's worth leaving the resort that day?  It's fairly clear that everyone believes Southern Pines or Dormie are better than any of the other resort courses, but there should be a value to convenience.  

There is something appealing about the idea of not getting in the car, having lunch at the clubhouse, and going back out for the afternoon round right there.  Oddly, the non GCA types I've talked to all rave about #4 (although not overly fond of a $190 replay rate), and there is a part of me that thinks if #1 or #3 are "fun" with some retained Ross qualities, that might make a nice afternoon.  Basically, do any of those 3 courses offer enough to pass on a car ride to a better venue (likely Southern Pines)?  

Part of me thinks we should take off that afternoon and see the Carolina and town after lunch at the clubhouse, but I fear that is a recipe for starting to drink far too early.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:30:58 PM by Andrew Buck »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »
Personally, you will learn quite a bit more if you make the 15 minute drive to Southern Pines, and you will save $150!

Convenience is nice...but we are only talking about 15 minutes away!

#4 isn't bad, but it's not very memorable either.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tim Martin

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2015, 04:40:28 PM »
I moved to Southern Pines 8 years ago from NJ. As one who shoes horses for a living, working outside, being leaned on by 1200 lbs animals, working in front of a 2500 degree forge I can tell you that it is on the whole  less oppressive here than it was in NJ. Walking 18 holes in NJ regularly soaked my golf shirts, does not often happen here. While hotter here the oppressive early morning humidity is usually burned off by the sun. I hypothesize that the sand, like the desert, doesn't hold the moisture. That said we do get some very hot humid days but they never keep me off the course.
My suggestions: Mid Pines, #2, Southern Pines, Dormie, Tobacco Road.

New Jersey is hotter than the Sand Hills of NC?  That's funny. ;D

hhuffines

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2015, 07:01:36 PM »
You will likely regret playing #3... Too many condos too close to the course. 

Matt MacIver

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2015, 07:39:29 PM »
I liked #5 some too, might be a better $ than #4.

I wouldn't fret about spending too much time seeing the site, there really isn't much.  Hit The Carolina for breakfast buffet and Pine Crest for drinks or dinner or late night chipping and you'll wander across most of it. Enjoy.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2015, 08:00:18 PM »
From the Pinehurst Resort Webpage:
"Fazio, who considered No. 4 his tribute to Pinehurst, tipped his hat to Ross with crowned greens on many holes, and the addition of more than 140 pot bunkers. These, combined with several sprawling waste bunkers and more traditional sand traps, give the track a dizzying 188 sand hazards."
WTF
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2015, 09:02:43 PM »
Did Ferris Bueller go to school that morning? Did he stay at home "sick?"
No sir.

Sloane: What are we going to do?
Ferris: The question isn't "what are we going to do," the question is "what aren't we going to do?"
Cameron: Please don't say were not going to take the car home. Please don't say were not going to take the car home. Please don't say were not going to take the car home.
Ferris: [to the camera] If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away?
[beat]
Ferris: Neither would I.

Don't go to Southern Pines. Don't go to Dormie. Don't Google Pik N Pig.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2015, 09:38:29 PM »
Sorry to bump again, but the information has been great.

Now that we are set to play #2 at 8:00 AM our second day, I can't help but wonder if it's worth leaving the resort that day?  It's fairly clear that everyone believes Southern Pines or Dormie are better than any of the other resort courses, but there should be a value to convenience.  

There is something appealing about the idea of not getting in the car, having lunch at the clubhouse, and going back out for the afternoon round right there.  Oddly, the non GCA types I've talked to all rave about #4 (although not overly fond of a $190 replay rate), and there is a part of me that thinks if #1 or #3 are "fun" with some retained Ross qualities, that might make a nice afternoon.  Basically, do any of those 3 courses offer enough to pass on a car ride to a better venue (likely Southern Pines)?  

Part of me thinks we should take off that afternoon and see the Carolina and town after lunch at the clubhouse, but I fear that is a recipe for starting to drink far too early.  

Why not stay at the resort and play No. 2 again in the afternoon? 

CJ Carder

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2015, 10:39:14 PM »
From the Pinehurst Resort Webpage:
"Fazio, who considered No. 4 his tribute to Pinehurst, tipped his hat to Ross with crowned greens on many holes, and the addition of more than 140 pot bunkers. These, combined with several sprawling waste bunkers and more traditional sand traps, give the track a dizzying 188 sand hazards."
WTF

Jay, I'm assuming you've never seen the course.  I'd guess most of those 188 bunkers come from the fact that on several holes, Fazio grouped a clump of them together.  In other words, if you can avoid 1 of them, you end up avoiding like 15 of them.  Probably not very good planning from a course maintenance standpoint, but I never felt dizzy at all.  I actually enjoy #4 because I think it's laid out over some very good property, but I can see why people aren't huge fans of it when compared to the other options in the area.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 10:44:36 PM »
I got an email from Dormie that they are running a special of $100 every Sunday in April.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
Did Ferris Bueller go to school that morning? Did he stay at home "sick?"
No sir.

Sloane: What are we going to do?
Ferris: The question isn't "what are we going to do," the question is "what aren't we going to do?"
Cameron: Please don't say were not going to take the car home. Please don't say were not going to take the car home. Please don't say were not going to take the car home.
Ferris: [to the camera] If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away?
[beat]
Ferris: Neither would I.

Don't go to Southern Pines. Don't go to Dormie. Don't Google Pik N Pig.

Ferris didn't have to pay to use the Ferrari.

I'm probably not your average GCA'er but I'm having a difficult time rationalizing spending $2k for one day of golf for the two of us, especially considering I have an annual membership at one course for $700.  

That said, half of it is already booked, and if we ride carts in the afternoon I think it's *only* $400 each, and we'd spend about $100 elsewhere, so maybe it's only a difference of $600 total to contemplate.  Rationalization process launched ... I'll have to let this fester.  Not sure if Pinehurst will let you book two rounds on #2 the same day.    

Brent Hutto

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2015, 09:51:56 AM »
Just curious having never been to the resort proper...

Would playing the non-#2 resort courses literally mean not having to get into the car at all? I can see the temptation if your lodging, the #2 course and whatever other course were all within easy walking distance (half mile or so) of each other.

But if you're going to have to put all your stuff in the car, leave and then re-park and re-unload again at the other course there's hardly any difference at all between a 3-minute drive and a 15-minute one once you're in the car.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2015, 09:58:03 AM »
Just curious having never been to the resort proper...

Would playing the non-#2 resort courses literally mean not having to get into the car at all? I can see the temptation if your lodging, the #2 course and whatever other course were all within easy walking distance (half mile or so) of each other.

But if you're going to have to put all your stuff in the car, leave and then re-park and re-unload again at the other course there's hardly any difference at all between a 3-minute drive and a 15-minute one once you're in the car.

1 - 5 are all from the same clubhouse I believe. 

Brent Hutto

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2015, 10:02:45 AM »
Yeah for same day second round staying in one place would be very tempting to me. And I say that as someone who has really enjoyed Southern Pines on past visits and who looks forward to seeing Dormie Club in the future.

Don't know what it is about putting my stuff the car and driving for even a little while. It makes the day seem more hassle and less carefree even if the distance is negligible.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2015, 03:57:11 PM »
1 -5 are at the main clubhouse and a resort shuttle can transport you and your clubs to any other of the resort properties. Enjoy wherever  you choose to play. The area is worth another trip anyway.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

C. Sturges

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2015, 05:19:22 PM »
With it being more of a once in a lifetime trip, play #2 twice, it is that good.  I am very sure they will let you play 36 in a day, that is more $ in there pockets.  With saying that though, all the other courses are a very easy drive to go and play, with a big savings in $.

Listen to Bruce, don't google Pik-n-pig, DRIVE straight there!  I was so happy I did, and so was my caddy from #2 who came along.  It made my 36 holes walking all that more enjoyable.
chris

Andrew Buck

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »
With it being more of a once in a lifetime trip, play #2 twice, it is that good.  I am very sure they will let you play 36 in a day, that is more $ in there pockets.  With saying that though, all the other courses are a very easy drive to go and play, with a big savings in $.

Listen to Bruce, don't google Pik-n-pig, DRIVE straight there!  I was so happy I did, and so was my caddy from #2 who came along.  It made my 36 holes walking all that more enjoyable.
chris

Well, I do hope as my kids age (currently 6 and 2), it doesn't need to be once in a lifetime, and I can bring them as well.  That said, work and family have a way of making these trips few and far between at the current time. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back