News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

Bucket List Question: Bandon vs Streamsong
« on: January 13, 2015, 07:14:39 PM »
I am leading the charge for a family golf trip with the intent of playing 'real links golf.'  For reasons I won't get into traveling to Scotland or Ireland isn't in the cards, so I have focused on Bandon. We all live East of the Mississippi so logistics for Bandon are a pain.  Someone who has played both Bandon and Streamsong suggested the latter as an alternative to Bandon.  My impression is that Streamsong is great but doesn't really doesn't provide the experience of links golf, whereas Bandon comes pretty close.

I suppose Cabot is an alternative but I think it's too new.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Tim Passalacqua

Re: Bucket List Question: Bandon vs Streamsong
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:27:32 PM »
Bandon is the purest golf experience, in my opinion.  Links golf, 4 top 100 courses on the same property, ocean air, and the vibe of the place is perfect.  It will become the gold standard for every place you visit.  You won't regret it.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 07:33:08 PM »
Phil, I would say that the Blue at Streamsong plays a lot like a links course around the greens. I used my putter from everywhere very similarly to what I did at RCD. I haven't played the Red or Brandon.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David Davis

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 07:33:46 PM »
Bandon is indeed pure links, Streamsong is not even close, even the turf is completely different.

Bandon will be unforgettable. Make the pilgrimage. Fly into Portland or Eugene drive down. I'd consider moving back to Oregon (from Europe) if I could become a member there with unlimited play on the 4 courses and just live in Bandon till death do us part. It's that good. In fact, it's better than that.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Stephen Davis

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 07:36:50 PM »
Bandon is indeed pure links, Streamsong is not even close, even the turf is completely different.

Bandon will be unforgettable. Make the pilgrimage. Fly into Portland or Eugene drive down. I'd consider moving back to Oregon (from Europe) if I could become a member there with unlimited play on the 4 courses and just live in Bandon till death do us part. It's that good. In fact, it's better than that.

David said it better than I could have. Bandon is an experience that you will never forget.

Jason Way

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »
If you're after a links golf experience, there is nothing even close to Bandon (other than on Long Island, which presents the issue of access). 

Course-style aside, Bandon is just generally superior.  There is a rumor of a Hanse course at Streamsong, and a possible reproduction of the Lido there as well.  If/when those things happen, it will be a horse race that might be decided based on travel convenience.  Until then...

Suck it up and deal with the pain to get there.  Once you walk out the back door of the clubhouse, your pain will be a distant memory.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Mike Treitler

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:07:10 PM »
Just got back from streamsong, really enjoyed it, two great tracks.

However, nothing compares to bandon.  Go to bandon!   It's worth every hassle.

To give you an idea I have streamsong red at #19 and streamsong blue at #29 in my personal rankings.

I have 3 bandon courses in my top 6 and old Mac at #17.

Streamsong is great fun but but bandon is a different level of amazing.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 08:15:11 PM »
I am leading the charge for a family golf trip with the intent of playing 'real links golf.'  For reasons I won't get into traveling to Scotland or Ireland isn't in the cards, so I have focused on Bandon. We all live East of the Mississippi so logistics for Bandon are a pain.  Someone who has played both Bandon and Streamsong suggested the latter as an alternative to Bandon.  My impression is that Streamsong is great but doesn't really doesn't provide the experience of links golf, whereas Bandon comes pretty close.

I suppose Cabot is an alternative but I think it's too new.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

The original course, Cabot Links, looks, feels and plays like it's been there for years.  I suspect Cabot Cliffs will take a bit longer as a number of holes are up into the wooded area.  Rod Whitman's course is worth a trip itself, especially when you'll be able to play both Highland Links and Cabot Cliffs during the same trip this summer. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 08:20:49 PM »
"Family" is the word that really jumps out to me. Whole family golfing? You escaping for a round or two?  Nothing to do or see other than golf when you're at Streamsong.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »
To clarify by 'family' I mean older siblings and grownup children.  We don't need diversions aside from food and a stiff Martini.

Jim Tang

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 09:58:19 PM »
I've been to both Bandon (three times) and Streamsong (once).  Streamsong is very nice. Bandon is glorious. There are very few places on earth like Bandon and I cannot imagine you regretting going there.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 10:10:26 PM »
If you are talking about all adult men (or accomplished women golfers), the time of year works for the weather, the transportation can be worked out, and it is after July 1 when Cabot Cliffs officially opens, go to Cabot.  It's an experience unlike any other.  You won't regret it.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 01:40:06 AM »
I would love to go to Bandon one day but I have reconciled myself to the fact that barring a major lottery win it just isn't going to happen. I could spend three months playing 50 of the world's top links courses for the same money as a week in Bandon without having to travel more than a couple of hours from home.

I guess Streamsong and Cabot are more realistic destinations from this side of the pond but do they offer anything worth the effort and expense that we can't get at home? Have any of the British contingent on here been to these places?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 02:30:50 AM »
I've been to none of these places so you should really ignore my response.... But from all the reading / looking I've done and as a full time links golfer, the Cabot / Highland combo is the one that interests me most, followed closely by Bandon and then Streamsong a distant third. That's not to say Cabot plays more like a GB&I links than Bandon. Just like the look of the place.

Like Duncan, I've always wondered if they really play like a British links. I'm sure they are very close. Need to find out sometime.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 03:02:00 AM »
I've been lucky enough to visit all three. All are wonderful places. I think you have to separate Streamsong from the others, it is a very different sort of experience. Rusty and his crew do a remarkable job - the turf there is genuinely firm and bouncy - but in the final analysis it is bermuda, and links golf is played on cool season grass.

So for me the choice is Bandon or Cabot, and I have to say that it's always Cabot that I personally think of returning to. Partially it's about the golf - Rod's course really appeals to me, and when Cliffs opens in the summer I truly believe we'll see something very special indeed (and you can also play Highlands Links, which while not a links, is in my opinion one of the greatest walks in golf and one of my favourite courses). Partially it's about the destination - I loved Cape Breton with its mix of French and Scottish cultures, the great traditional music and the beauty of the area. And partly it's about the resort. Great place though Bandon is, I found it to have a slightly corporate feel, I guess a bit inevitable given the scale of the place now. Cabot, by contrast, I think because Ben and Allie play such an important role in day to day management, felt more like a family operation, more like a club almost.

Please don't think I am dissing Bandon, it is phenomenal.  But Cabot is nicer for my personal tastes.

Duncan/Ally - Bandon is a long, long way to travel for a European for sure. I went because I was already on the west coast and could work in a visit without too much hassle, although delays on the flight back from North Bend to San Francisco did very nearly result in me missing my transatlantic flight home. Cabot isn't too bad though - there's a direct Air Canada flight from Heathrow to Halifax every day, and it's the shortest transatlantic crossing in existence, often below five hours coming home. True, it's a fair drive from Halifax, but imo if you go there you must do Highlands and drive the Cabot Trail, so to an extent the drive is negated. Streamsong, though, could easily get a lot of UK/Euro business. There are, after all, tons of Brits in Orlando on holiday -- and playing golf -- every winter, and it's only an hour and a half to Streamsong from the airport. You can easily do it from Orlando as a day trip.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 03:09:25 AM »
Adam

What is he windshield time from Halifax to Cabot?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 06:22:40 AM »
It's about three hours. Googlemaps says three and a half, but I've done it in three both times.

Halifax to Highlands is further, about five hours, and the last hour or so is over Smokey Mountain, not ideal if it's getting dark, which is likely given when the Heathrow flight lands. From Cabot to Highlands via the Cabot Trail is two and a half hours plus photo stops, of which there will be plenty (it might be more in summer if the road is clogged with RVs).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:47 AM »
Streamsong is on my bucket list ...
have been to Bandon, agreed, an uniquely interesting and one of a kind experience.
Depending on your and family's age ..... I caution you a bit about Bandon, the weather can be rough, walking any of the courses is a challenge.  If you physically can't walk 36 a day while being comfortable, the experience will be diminished as you will be worn out.  Personal experience is that fatigue is a big factor at Bandon.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »
Phil,

Bandon is the best golf resort on the planet in my experience.  It is hardcore links golf with top courses all in one location that doesn't involve a passport, jetlag, driving, haggis and warm beer.  It's all golf, all the time.  If you're looking to do something besides golf, eat, drink, sleep and maybe fit in a massage- go elsewhere.  It also is much more reasonable in the the fall/winter/spring and has less wind.  It can be VERY windy in the summer.  I want to see Cabot and Streamsong too, but they are the copycats.  Bandon invented the type and will not be beaten easily anytime soon.  3 of the top 10 modern courses on Golfweek are at Bandon and Bandon Trails is underrated IMO at #22 (they also have a pretty cool par 3 course and putting course).  nuff said.  Book it...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:20:37 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Treitler

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »
Trails is my favorite at Bandon... super underrated.  Its #2 on my personal list behind Turnberry. 

Doug Wright

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 10:27:27 AM »
I haven't been to Cabot though hope to do so soon. If it's Bandon vs. Streamsong there is no question--for the golf and the experience, there is no place like Bandon.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Phil Benedict

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 07:41:57 PM »
Streamsong is on my bucket list ...
have been to Bandon, agreed, an uniquely interesting and one of a kind experience.
Depending on your and family's age ..... I caution you a bit about Bandon, the weather can be rough, walking any of the courses is a challenge.  If you physically can't walk 36 a day while being comfortable, the experience will be diminished as you will be worn out.  Personal experience is that fatigue is a big factor at Bandon.

I am the youngest of the first generation at 62.  Walking 36 may be a stretch for some of us although I personally would be comfortable walking 27 holes.  Is that feasible?  Do the courses return to the clubhouse after 9 holes?

K Rafkin

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 08:55:26 PM »
Phil

Only on Bandon Dunes do both the 9th and 18th hole return to the clubhouse.  That being said you can still create a short loops on the other courses (Trails may be the most difficult to do so).  Also Bandon has the 13 hole par 3 course The Preserve and the Punchbowl putting course to provide you with more golf options other than walking another 18.

At Streamsong both 6th holes return to the clubhouse instead of the 9s.  Streamsong offers a both a 6 and 12 hole rate to take advantage of the uncommon routing.

All things being equal I would knock Bandon off my bucketlist 1st, however if it makes more sense for you to go to Streamsong you will not be disappointed. 

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 12:37:59 AM »
Phil:

Let me put it this way: if one had to chose the place worth returning to on a regular basis - say, once every year or two - no doubt it would be Bandon.
Tim Weiman

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 01:33:45 AM »
In mid-winter conditions Streamsong provides a pretty fair approximation of links golf.  The grass is relatively dormant and all shots are available.  I have never found, however, that US attempts at recreating links golf come close to the real thing.  There is a bounciness in the turf at the GB&I courses that I have not experienced on US courses.  It is a very pleasant walking experience while the US courses feel more like walking on concrete. 

Perhaps the courses at Bandon have developed this feel since when I visited quite a while ago (there were three courses at the time).  Perhaps not.

I suspect you could experience the real thing for the same cost as you would spend to get to Bandon or Streamsong as long as you avoided the big name courses and played some of the wonderful options that cost dramatically less money.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back