News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Way

Just saw on Twitter that the USGA has selected LACC North as the site for the 2023 US Open (official announcement still to come).

What, if anything, does this mean for the potential to see more championships on restored classic courses?  And if there will be more, which courses would you like to see added to the USGA rota?

(Update: Geoff Shackleford reported that PCC will host the 4_ball in 2020.  Evidence seems to be mounting that USGA has a certain level of commitment to showcasing quality restorations alongside the newer additions to its championship venue roster.  Is this an important trend-in-the-making for GCA?)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:14:47 PM by Jason Way »
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

David Stamm

Re: US Open Returning to LACC North
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »
Just saw on Twitter that the USGA has selected LACC North as the site for the 2023 US Open (official announcement still to come).

What, if anything, does this mean for the potential to see more championships on restored classic courses?  And if there will be more, which courses would you like to see added to the USGA rota?

Hopefully it motivates Riviera to get things fixed there.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 06:47:38 PM »
We should also wait and see how the USGA "tweaks" the stunning restoration. One shudders at the thought.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Gary Sato

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »

What, if anything, does this mean for the potential to see more championships on restored classic courses?  And if there will be more, which courses would you like to see added to the USGA rota?

Great comment.  Parking, corporate villages (not just a few tents), television city all for a US Open are easily fixable at Riviera.

Have you ever been to a US Open? 

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 07:07:52 PM »

Great comment.  Parking, corporate villages (not just a few tents), television city all for a US Open are easily fixable at Riviera.

Have you ever been to a US Open? 

I'm referring to the unfortunate course changes and set up.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John McCarthy

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 07:16:25 PM »
David:  what should Riviera do?  Other than regrassing the entire joint.  I ask out of ignorence, having only seen it on tv.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

James Brown

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 08:20:11 PM »
Colonial?

Cherry Hills?

Prairie Dunes?

Scioto?

If they can bring the USGA back to Merion, lots of things are possible. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 08:21:08 PM »
Walker Cup 2019 will be a good test of LACCN's worth in the eyes of the USGA.

Any word on Seminole as Walker Cup host in 2023? That was big news for about a day last spring, then went away.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Chris Kane

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 06:03:52 PM »
This will be a fantastic championship - the restored LACC is absolutely spectacular.

We should also wait and see how the USGA "tweaks" the stunning restoration. One shudders at the thought.

I'm sure that the USGA will narrow the fairways and grow the rough, but beyond that I hope the club tells the USGA to leave their course alone.

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 07:45:40 PM »
David:  what should Riviera do?  Other than regrassing the entire joint.  I ask out of ignorence, having only seen it on tv.

John, there have been threads posted in the past on this. Specifically by Tom Naccarato.  He's the Thomas/Bell expert. If you do a search, you'll see the answer to your question.

Jason Way

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »

Bingo - does it have enough length? Will they give it the Merion treatment?

This is part of what is intriguing to me in recent developments with the USGA's course selections and prep.  The Merion selection was great, but the consensus was that the prep spoiled some of the nuanced interest that the course could have provided.  That being said, that championship was exciting and was won by a solid player making great shots down the stretch.  Contrast that with Pinehurst, the prep for which was generally applauded from a GCA perspective.  Not as exciting a championship, because of Kaymer's ridiculous performance, but some of the golf was interesting and it did identify the best golfer that week.

My hope is that, as a steward of the game, the USGA will pick up the ball they previously dropped (bad pun intended) and focus on a) maximizing interest and b) setting up the course to identify the best golfer, in the broadest possible definition of "best".  They have an opportunity to ditch the obsession with resistance to scoring and actually lead the game forward with their championship.  Ok, I know, not likely, but a girl can hope.

There are some potentially interesting venues on the schedule, LACC included, and I want to see more of them.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jason Way

Re: Update: Philly CC Gets USGA 4-Ball; US Open Returning to LACC North
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »
See my original post with update re: Philadelphia Cricket Club getting its own USGA event.  Although the 4-Ball is a new event, it is getting a tremendous level of interest, and so I don't think that it's a small deal that it's going to PCC.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark McKeever

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »
This is great news for the club and the city of Philadelphia!

Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 02:37:24 PM »
This should settle the debate of Philly being the center of the golfing universe?

Nice having an event like this so close to home.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

JESII

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 02:38:35 PM »
Congrats to Philly Cricket...plenty of hard work with a dedicated focus is bearing fruit.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 10:49:22 AM »
It's official.  LACC North to host the 2023 US Open.
[/size]
[/size]http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-us-open-la-20150722-story.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 11:56:33 PM »
Walked around LACC on Friday with my jaw hanging open because it's so great and I'm eager for the Open there and hope to get a ticket. And yet ...

That is going to be some kind of difficult setup and course to get spectators around. Getting anyone anywhere near the 13th green will be quite a trick. Really, a significant chunk of the back nine crosses over and sits snugly together. Which is absolutely wonderful, but makes it tough for a bigger event with a lot of spectators.

On the other hand, how great would it be to spend an afternoon on the hill by #6 watching the best players in the world try the options.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back