News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

A Necklace of Gems
« on: January 08, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »
The President's Putter piece reminded me of how much I love the string of courses that run along the English Channel from Rye to Littlestone to Royal Cinque Ports (Deal) to Royal St George's (Sandwich).   These four links are like a string of pearls, each unique but all blessed with excitement, firm and fine turf and wonderful greens.  Within an hour from south to north, I can't think of any other grouping I'd prefer to play for a week.   Bandon would be a respectable but distant second. 

Thoughts?

Benjamin Litman

Re: A Necklace of Gems
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:36:10 PM »
Kent is certainly a special place in England and in golf generally. On my first buddies trip, we made our base in Sandgate and played Rye, Deal, and Sandwich over the course of a few days. No Prince's or Littlestone, but still a wonderful grouping of courses (and perhaps even better shower heads).

That said, I'd easily take NGLA, Sebonack, Shinnecock, and Southampton any day. (I can't yet speak to Bandon, as I haven't been.)
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:38:07 PM »
Benjamin, for one thing, the courses I listed are much more accessible!

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »
Fair point--I've never played any of the courses I mentioned!

If accessibility is a criterion, I'll nominate the Sandbelt gems in Melbourne: Kingston Heath, Royal Melbourne (West and East), Victoria, Metropolitan, Commonwealth, Huntingdale, Peninsula. Enough courses to actually form a necklace. Best turf I've ever played on anywhere. Still private, but still accessible--like the UK gems.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Marc Haring

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 04:53:35 AM »
I had the great honour of playing all four over two days. Deal, RSG's then Littlestone and Rye with Royal Ashdown Forest the next day on the way back.

No round took more than 3 hours and all were FOC as a greenkeeper at the time. I was a lucky man. :)

Paul Gray

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 07:05:39 AM »
Bill,

Well, you can't travel too far in Surrey without finding yourself on a quality golf course. Actually, if you wanted a run of second tier courses, you could do worse than base yourself around Liphook and suffer Liphook itself, Hindhead, Blackmoor, Hayling, West Sussex, Stoneham, Hockley, Broadstone and Parkstone, not to mention all the good second tier Surrey courses. There are worse golf courses in the world!
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:09:56 AM »
Bill,

Well, you can't travel too far in Surrey without finding yourself on a quality golf course. Actually, if you wanted a run of second tier courses, you could do worse than base yourself around Liphook and suffer Liphook itself, Hindhead, Blackmoor, Hayling, West Sussex, Stoneham, Hockley, Broadstone and Parkstone, not to mention all the good second tier Surrey courses. There are worse golf courses in the world!

I've onky played Liphook of your list but it would be a fine home club.   Except for the worlf's most dangerous road crossing!

Paul Gray

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 02:10:01 PM »
Bill,

I've onky played Liphook of your list but it would be a fine home club.   Except for the worlf's most dangerous road crossing!

That road is certainly a pain, although not so busy now.

Oh, and I left out the charming nine holes at Leckford. And then there's Berkshire. Bottom line, it's good here!
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back