News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Flat courses - are they necessarily unmemorable?
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2015, 05:29:13 PM »
Boony

Well, Doak is mellowing with age so one never knows what he will think on revisit  :D

I don't mind folks making judgements on one play...we all have to do it to some degree even if we don't voice the opinion.  For me, its definitely a case of playing courses again and again because they intrigue me not merely becaue of happenstance.  I don't have to go back so I tend not to if a course doesn't do it for me.  The real problem is finding time to regularly revisit all the courses I like and see new ones.  For sure, seeing new courses comes second...generally speaking the experience of new courses isn't as satisifying as seeing the ole favourites. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

James Boon

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2015, 12:44:12 PM »
Boony

Well, Doak is mellowing with age so one never knows what he will think on revisit  :D

I don't mind folks making judgements on one play...we all have to do it to some degree even if we don't voice the opinion.  For me, its definitely a case of playing courses again and again because they intrigue me not merely becaue of happenstance.  I don't have to go back so I tend not to if a course doesn't do it for me.  The real problem is finding time to regularly revisit all the courses I like and see new ones.  For sure, seeing new courses comes second...generally speaking the experience of new courses isn't as satisifying as seeing the ole favourites. 

Ciao

Sean,

Sure we all form an opinion after just one play, but I've found recently that I try and keep that opinion in check a little more these days. I've probably not played as many courses as you so there are plenty I want to get out and see, but I do find I'm returning more and more to courses these days, especially ones I've enjoyed  ::) rather than just playing newer ones.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Frank M

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2015, 02:04:30 PM »
Essex, the Donald Ross in Windsor Canada, is one of my favourites anywhere and I don't think you can get a much flatter piece of land than that.

What makes it great (and I say that emphatically)? Awesome greens and bunkering and nice lateral movement.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »
Ever notice how links courses that play along a peninsula, kind of semi-fishhook like in shape/routing, usually seem to have the higher dunes along the seaward side of the 'hook' whilst those holes located towards the start/finish or along the inside of the hook are often the flattest.
Atb

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2015, 08:36:01 PM »
Whenever we talk flat courses, I think of Garden City. There's a bit of elevation change around 8/9, but it's still pretty flat, and it makes the absolute most of that terrain.

Mountain Lake is a great example too. Country Club of Charleston is another. Harbor Town is pretty flat as well.

As for flat courses built in the last 20 years that I travelled specifically to play - Forest Dunes comes to mind (pretty flat), as does Cassique on Kiawah (very flat).
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

BCowan

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2015, 09:01:50 PM »
Essex, the Donald Ross in Windsor Canada, is one of my favourites anywhere and I don't think you can get a much flatter piece of land than that.

What makes it great (and I say that emphatically)? Awesome greens and bunkering and nice lateral movement.

Frank, have you played Roseland in windsor?  I Haven't played it in 17 years.  Probably my favorite Ross muni.  Have you played it since the renovation?  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2015, 09:04:32 PM »
Whenever we talk flat courses, I think of Garden City. There's a bit of elevation change around 8/9, but it's still pretty flat, and it makes the absolute most of that terrain.

Mountain Lake is a great example too. Country Club of Charleston is another. Harbor Town is pretty flat as well.

As for flat courses built in the last 20 years that I travelled specifically to play - Forest Dunes comes to mind (pretty flat), as does Cassique on Kiawah (very flat).

Can't say I think of Mountain Lake as flat.  The holes around the turn have elevation, and #3 IIRC is called "Alps!"

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2015, 09:19:03 PM »
It's true that it's not "completely flat" but it's still pretty flat in most spots. The 10th and 18th probably have the most elevation change.

Interestingly, as I recall, the "alps" hole there is one of the flattest on the course.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2015, 09:46:43 PM »
Sean_A:

A bit surprised that Tom D would only rate B&B a 5. Really enjoyed the course during my one visit with our old friend Russell Talley. Sure seemed like the kind of place Tom would enjoy.

Definitely not a flat course if anyone meant to suggest that.
Tim Weiman

Sean_A

Re: Flat courses - are they necessarily unmemorable? New
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2015, 03:40:21 AM »
Tim

I wasn't suggesting that B&B is flat, only that it is common for fly by nighters to miss the flat or non-bling stuff...and I think Doak is guilty of this at B&B.  The broader point is that everybody misses stuff in one go.  That doesn't necessarily mean they missed the gist of the course (though sometimes I do think people are in right field), but it does mean there is more pressure on archies to create memorable bling when it isn't necessary....if rankings are going to continue to be an important source of revenue.  I spose its like any compromise archies may need to make...why would drawing in punters be any different?

I didn't realize you knew Russell the Okie.  If you see him soon shout out for me.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:27:39 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Niall C

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2015, 08:21:51 AM »
Judging a course on one play can go both ways. As well as underestimating the course I suppose it is possible to pick up on all the plus points and miss the negatives. As an example I played Forfar a couple of years ago, can’t recall if I’ve mentioned it, and was seduced completely by its charms. Was my at first sight rating of the course accurate ? Time will tell, I’m revisiting with that fine judge of a course, Mr Jeff Warne, sometime this year.  Already looking forward to it.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back