News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Lovett

Vietnam; Montgomerie and Danang
« on: December 30, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »
After a busy year I was fortunate to spend a few weeks in Vietnam with golf low on the agenda!
I was very surprised by the Montgomerie, it was a fun playable golf course.

From the pictures I had seen it was nice to see that the white bunker sand had been changed

A lot of work has also been done to soften the look with native grassing and plants by the current greenkeeper who has a strong links background ( Hayling and Rosses Point)

One of the joys of playing in Asia is the caddies who are an experience in themselves!!

"Water right Mr Michael" was the helpful advice on this hole ::)

Ben Lovett

Re: Vietnam; Montgomerie and Danang
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »
Unfortunately I was unable to play Danang but spent a few hours looking around courtesy of the greenkeeper again with a strong links background ( Barnbougle)

Some great bunkering

If ever I've seen warm season grasses playing links like this would be it and this was after a Typhoon

The obligatory caddies

The beach front Par 3

Mike_Duffy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:21:52 PM »
Those pictures of the "Monty" bring back mixed recollections for me. I played it about 2 years ago whilst on a brief visit to Hoi An. I thought the course was interesting and quite a pleasure to play. Unfortunately, I was paired with a Dr Zhang, a complete but very likeable golf nut from Shanghai.

He lost three sleeves of balls during his round, then lost four of mine that he borrowed as he had exhausted his supply by the time we arrived at the 13th tee.

One gets to meet some very interesting people on the golf courses of Asia and the hilarious Dr Zhang certainly brings back the memories of my morning round at the "Monty". ;D

Paul Gray

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 07:49:28 AM »
Ben,

The Montgomerie looks like a lot of fun. Whose the greenkeeper from Hayling and can we have him back please!
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ben Lovett

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 08:52:22 AM »
Ronan Mckeown who we had the pleasure to play with, he started with 3 birdies!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back