News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Lovett

Costa Del Sol; Valderrama and Aloha
« on: December 30, 2014, 01:07:10 PM »
I was lucky enough to play a quick nine followed by a nice lunch

As is always the case the course was in very good condition with fast firm greens and Bermuda on the verge of dormancy

Having not played for several years I was surprised by the playability, I was playing quite well which helps ;D

I think the 8th hole is probably the tightest hole on the front

Ben Lovett

Re: Costa Del Sol; Valderrama and Aloha
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 01:12:32 PM »
I was not quite sure of what to make of Aloha

Lots of blind holes and bunkers distanced from greens

Not in the same condition of Valderrama having gone down the overseed route.
It does have some great greens and holes for the terrain

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »
Ben,

Aloha was Javier Arana's latest design. He died before the course opened. I agree the greens are very good but there is something awkward on the way they tie in with their surrounds. Quite dissimilar to his other courses where he finished personally. Maybe this is the result of maintenance changes over time....

I think it's an interesting course given the limitations of the ground.

Regards,

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »
If you had time to play only one round in the area south of Malaga-north of Gibraltar which course would you recommend?
Atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 02:48:02 PM »
Valderrama I think. It's not a fashionable style these days but it's a very good golf course. I would like to see Kyle Phillips' renovation of Las Brisas too. And Finca Cortesin is worth a game, providing you go in with your eyes open - it's not walkable, Cabell was RTJ's guy in Europe for donkeys' years, so you know where he's coming from. The hotel there is lovely.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 03:30:09 PM »
I would choose Sotogrande.  Varied and lots of fun. The club is starting a renovation program this year to regain lost green surfaces and to revert to Bermuda. It should be even better in two years time.

The renovation of Las Brisas' first 9 holes is good but they've had some agronomical problems. The second nine will be renovated this winter but 3-4 holes will be completely rerouted and it will be interesting to see if they are up with the rest.

Ben Lovett

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 06:18:28 AM »
Alfonso,
I was told it was untouched but I have misgivings over that!
I hear Sotogrande are turfing the entire project. It is a good golf course although there are a few repetitive holes on the back nine around the lakes.
I here very good things about Brisas but as you said they have gone down a cool season grass road, which doesn't seem to have worked
Naranjos is another golf valley course which seems to be improving in condition
Santana and La Reserva are two other Cabell course which are in good condition.

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 10:55:31 AM »
Ben,

Aloha has not been retouched, but I would say that the course was not finished according to what was his standard.

About the other courses you mention, Ineould rather take Santana over la reserva because it's
More walkable although it's greens are always extremely slow. El parador is another nice course that has been neglected for many years and it would only need a little work to become one of the standouts in the South

Ben Lovett

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 07:08:20 AM »
Hopefully with Brisas undertaking what seems to be a proper renovation and Sotogrande following, it could lead to some of the others following suit.

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 07:51:38 AM »
Mijas has also undergone a recent renovation, although I have not seen it yet. Not sure if other clubs in the area have the financial resources....

Paul Gray

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »
There must be a golf course somewhere in Spain I'd actually like.  ;D

Actually, Pedrena has always intrigued me.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Mark McKeever

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 09:05:31 AM »

Go check out El Saler in Valencia.  Awesome course.

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Paul Gray

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 09:08:34 AM »

Go check out El Saler in Valencia.  Awesome course.

MM

And El Saler was the other one I had in mind.  8)
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 04:52:27 AM »
Paul,

Although Spain is not rich in interesting golf courses from an architectural point of view, Costa del Sol makes the whole picture look even worse as the standard over there is quite weak.

As some others have pointed out, El Saler (J.Arana) is a very good track. Maintenance is not up to the standard of the course and could make it even better.

Other places worth mentioning are Pedreņa which is a fantastic Colt design by the sea and Neguri, Javier Arana's home course. A short drive and you can play these two along with a visit to SW France where you have Chiberta, Biarritz and Hossegor.

In Madrid you have Puerta de Hierro (Spain's oldest club, a very good 36-hole mishmash of Colt-Simpson and Kyle Philips) and Club de Campo (27 solid holes by J.Arana and 9 very bad ones by Ballesteros). I haven't played Real de Sevilla by Olazabal, but everybody likes it a lot.

The remaining better stuff is more of the typical new courses you may find elsewhere: Nicklaus courses in Madrid and the east coast south of Valencia, Norman in Barcelona (El Prat), PGA Catalunya (which I haven't played but gets good reviews, although not on this site), etc.

Regards,

Alfonso

Paul Gray

Re: Costa Del Sol; Valderrama and Aloha New
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 07:00:23 AM »
Alfonso,

Thanks for that. I confess that Costa courses and tales from friends have rather tended to cloud my vision of Spanish golf. I was aware however that a few decent tracks existed but I've never really done any research in to them. I think El Saler featured in a thread here a while back but I can't seem to find it.

The idea of actually playing courses of real classic architectural quality whilst enjoying the Spanish sun and culture (I mean real Spanish culture) appeals to me greatly so I must start giving it some more thought. Madrid is one of my favourite cities so perhaps that would be a good starting point.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:29:20 PM by Paul Gray »

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 02:40:11 PM »
Alfonso

I have an annual golfing holiday to the Costa del Sol (when finances and health permit) and would agree that the general standard of courses is not great however there are some courses that are worth playing. Valderrama obviously (great par 4's, not bad par 3's and awful par 5's) as well as Torrequebrada which I found interesting and fun although a bit run down. Santana was a favourite for a while but I have to admit Cabell Robinsons style of raised green fronts begins to grate after a while. Wasn't impressed too much with Finca Cortesin but that might be more a conditioning issue.

San Roque Old has it's moments but don't know if I can put up with the attitude of the place long enough to play it again while San Roque New was "interesting". I generally don't mind tight courses but even by my standards that course is claustrophobic.

Niall 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »
Heading down that way soonish and out of curiosity looked up the standard price to play Valderrama.....350 Euros! As a mate used to say - "No way Jose!"
Atb

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
I live on the Costa del Sol for most of the winter. Not played Finca, but I was surprised that San Roque Old was the 7th best in a set of ratings. Then when I started to think about it, it was not easy to find 6 better... Valderamma, Sotogrande, Brisas, San Roque New, Santana, La Reserva...

Costa del golf is primarily about great weather and the dilema really is about great golf architecture versus great weather.

To be honest at 54, I am tending to side on great weather and can understand the winter popularity. It's grim up north.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back