News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: If it hasn't been said,
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 03:16:36 PM »
Has Tiger given you the call yet Jeff?
He needs to if he's seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1V2Kh64h8

Plus, Jeff does magic in this one, as he makes a ball appear then disappear in the inal 30 seconds.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
Congratulations Jeff.

Ping Eye2 Becu wedge in the video.

Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »
Ron,
that's actually very funny.
What I can't figure out is how they did that as we did it in one take (2 cameras)
Must've done a scrape before I hit one of the pitches which they dubbed in.

Thomas, Played Eye 2 PW,SW, and occasionally LW  for 30 years-that Becu wedge only that season.
That video is quite old 2010ish as the MET PGA adopted the 2010 groove rule as a condition of competition last season and completely wrecked my wedge game when I had to lose the original Eye 2s.
 As you can see from the video I like to trap it and need a bit more bounce and dull leading edge than the legal Eye 2 copies provided. The newer copies (2015) are more like the older models and I'm now having more success-alas they don't make a PW copy.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »
There's a guy who is the pro at one of the local clubs but years ago, when I first took up the game, he did teaching at an independent setup not affiliated with a club. Took a few lessons from him including one wedge game lesson. Especially pitching. This was late-90's.

He had two wedges that honestly I think he had used since at least the Nixon administration. Maybe he got them as graduation presents from middle school or something ;-)

I asked him about the loft and bounce details on them. He said he'd had them so long he didn't remember. It was something like, "This one is 57 degrees and other is 56 degrees. Don't know the bounce but they're shaped different. Oh, wait a minute. Maybe I got the other one bent. I think they're both 57 but I use them for different kinds of lies".

I guess a good wedge is something you want to stick with...he sure could land one ball after another on the same pitch mark from 30 yards away. Remarkable feel and rhythm.

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 05:40:20 PM »
There's a guy who is the pro at one of the local clubs but years ago, when I first took up the game, he did teaching at an independent setup not affiliated with a club. Took a few lessons from him including one wedge game lesson. Especially pitching. This was late-90's.

He had two wedges that honestly I think he had used since at least the Nixon administration. Maybe he got them as graduation presents from middle school or something ;-)

I asked him about the loft and bounce details on them. He said he'd had them so long he didn't remember. It was something like, "This one is 57 degrees and other is 56 degrees. Don't know the bounce but they're shaped different. Oh, wait a minute. Maybe I got the other one bent. I think they're both 57 but I use them for different kinds of lies".

I guess a good wedge is something you want to stick with...he sure could land one ball after another on the same pitch mark from 30 yards away. Remarkable feel and rhythm.

Brent,
I'm always amazed at how when amateurs buy a new set of the latest and greatest irons (code for delofted and longer::) ;) ;D)
....that they also replace their wedges.
If you have a wedge that works, why would you want to go through the learning curve of how the club interacts with the turf (crucial). how it flies, and how it releases (most important)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rob Marshall

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »

Brent,
I'm always amazed at how when amateurs buy a new set of the latest and greatest irons (code for delofted and longer::) ;) ;D)
If you have a wedge that works, why would you want to go through the learning curve of how the club interacts with the turf (crucial). how it flies, and how it releases (most important)

Jeff, congratulations on your award. I'm sure it's well deserved. With the new conforming wedges, how often are you replacing them. I play 80 rounds a year and practice a lot. I'm leaning towards replacing my 60 every year. I use it out of our bunkers which have pretty coarse sand. I use an old sand wedge to practice bunker shots to save a little wear on my gamer.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 06:19:09 PM »
Jeff,

Two questions:

1     What's the most common problem you see ?

2     Do you ever get into discussions regarding course management and the impact of architecture on the play of the game ?

Thanks

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »

Brent,

Jeff, congratulations on your award. I'm sure it's well deserved. With the new conforming wedges, how often are you replacing them. I play 80 rounds a year and practice a lot. I'm leaning towards replacing my 60 every year. I use it out of our bunkers which have pretty coarse sand. I use an old sand wedge to practice bunker shots to save a little wear on my gamer.

Rob,
When I was practicing a bit I would wear my SW clean in about 2 years, but really only replaced them thy actually got a bit concave which did affect flight.The last 2 years I have been battling trying to find the right wedges so wearing out grooves hasn't been a problem as I've done a lot of switching.
Titleist says get new wedges every 80 rounds which I think is total hooey, but I guess if someone always used to always having deep predictable grooves that make sense. I played for many years before Eye 2's with a Wilson Staff that had no grooves after awhile.
You simply adapt-lower spin is very useful for many pitches and chips-not so much on fuller shots when the grass is wet.

Pat,
Most commonly I see amateurs who think they can go from 20 to zero by perfecting their "swing".
I often play with amateurs in a Pro-Am who hit more fairways and as many greens as I do and they don't break 90-they then want me to help them with their "swing" after their round.
Video and a Trackman can't help that guy but it's stunning how many want the bells and whistles rather than practicing to targets and situations-especially inside 100 yards.
Can you imagine hooking up Trackman to a free throw shooter? (though video could be useful for that)

I talk a lot about course management, but unless it's a special course rarely does architecture per se come up.
The shorter and straighter one hits it, the more it comes up as they can afford to try to hit particular areas of a fairway.
I'm not a huge fan though of crap like leaving a full shot in as I stress learning to hit quality half shots instead (IMHO the guy from 30-40 yards out will beat the pants off the guy from 100-if the guy from 30 out learns how to pitch)
. If one lays up he now has to hit 2 good shots-rather dicey for a higher handicap
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:50:34 PM by jeffwarne »

Jason Topp

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 08:01:06 AM »
Congratulations Jeff!  I had thoughts of becoming a teaching pro when I realized in high school my dreams of playing professionally had no chance.  I worked in a shop and watched a first year pro teach lesson after lesson to women who could hit the ball 50 yards on a good shot.    He did so with enthusiasm and it was obvious he loved it.  I then watched him work from dawn to dusk when not teaching - knowing everyone's names and preferences and listening intently as they went through their round in excruciating detail.  He treated those of us working in the bag room in the same manner.

After watching that for a summer, I realized that teaching was not in my future.  I could never do the work that well. 

I have great respect for what you do.

jeffwarne

Re: If it hasn't been said, New
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2014, 08:33:32 AM »
Congratulations Jeff!  I had thoughts of becoming a teaching pro when I realized in high school my dreams of playing professionally had no chance.  I worked in a shop and watched a first year pro teach lesson after lesson to women who could hit the ball 50 yards on a good shot.    He did so with enthusiasm and it was obvious he loved it.  I then watched him work from dawn to dusk when not teaching - knowing everyone's names and preferences and listening intently as they went through their round in excruciating detail.  He treated those of us working in the bag room in the same manner.

After watching that for a summer, I realized that teaching was not in my future.  I could never do the work that well.  

I have great respect for what you do.

Jason,
I have great respect for guys like that as well.
Sounds like one of my childhood heros Palmetto's Tom Moore who went on to become a good friend.
Clubs consistently underate such guys.
Pretty sure I couldn't live up to your guy Jason day in day out, though we of course have plenty of days like that in season.

I had the luxury at working at a golf school for 10 years, which no doubt extended my career by presenting fresh friendly faces and new issues daily==as opposed to the same nonsense one can commonly be dealing with at a private club.
I watched a new Committee Chairman singlehandedly run Jim Mclean (and by extension me) out of Sleepy Hollow and vowed I would never let my fate be held in the hands of a Committee that could suddenly change for the worse.
My next stint was as a Director of Instruction with no responsibilities besides teaching, which avoids a lot of conflicts/issues.
At my current private club position we have one owner and I was allowed to have a large part in dictating the club's super kid friendly culture and policies, which helps tremendously--I doubt i could survive or have the ability to survive in the culture of many ever changing Board clubs as I tend to speak my mind. That works better when every member has had to come through you in the application process  ;);
I've been very fortunate in my career and consider myself very lucky to do what I do, meet a lot of great people, and get to play nearly as much golf as i want with a very marginal game compared to many of my peers.;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:06:22 PM by jeffwarne »

Pat Burke

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »
Congrats Jeff.
Not always an easy task these days!!
Well done!

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »
Jeff, your game is better than marginal

BCrosby

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »
I usually don't open Pat's threads with their cryptic titles. Happily I opened this one.

Congrats Jeff. I would love to buy a lesson from you one day.

Bob 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
I usually don't open Pat's threads with their cryptic titles. Happily I opened this one.

Bob 

Me too, still waiting for an answer to my question about where he teaches in the winter!

jeffwarne

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2014, 05:37:38 PM »

Bob 

Me too, still waiting for an answer to my question about where he teaches in the winter!

Still gotta get one through HS here in NY Bill

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »

Bob 

Still gotta get one through HS here in NY Bill

I'm sure you're doing well with that!   Then maybe a few weeks at Palmetto?   Bob and I are there.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back