News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

How Did We Get ...
« on: December 18, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »
From here:

to here:

and still "love" it?

Bogey

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:06:24 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Eric Smith

Re: How Did We Get ...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »

?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
Christopher Columbus. And trick photography.

(And a Cornell University scholarship, circa 1982.)

Peter

Thanks GP: it killed the joke, but I appreciate the correction. Columbia, Cornell, same thing - you know, smart guys' schools.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:23:14 PM by PPallotta »

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »
Cornell. Don't think it was post-grad, either.

:)

Perhaps a better juxtaposition would be the top photo above a Myrtle Beach course. As someone once said, it's a great big wide world out there.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
As someone once said, it's a great big wide world out there.

Ely Callaway?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »
Smith -- you two-bit hussy, you've been shilling for Callaway products for years! Since we like you no one's ever called you on it before, but now this is going to far.  Your kind of shameless commercial promotion has no place on a Michael H thread, especially not one with such pretty pictures!

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
PP - Go ahead and play Streamsong with one of these! ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »
Perhaps a better juxtaposition would be the top photo above a Myrtle Beach course. As someone once said, it's a great big wide world out there.

I think so, or perhaps Orlando

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
Thanks, Jim - I now have the correct answer: it's America, baby!!  The U.S. of effing A -- showtime, big time, anything is possible! (I love it, btw: in a world of maya, America still pulls off the illusion better than any country in the world!)

Eric - You're right. I stand corrected. You're not shameless... ;D

Peter

Paul Gray

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 03:02:56 PM »
Because both essentially ask the same of the golfer?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »

Is it really "ask the same" or is it more along the lines of hitting the proper shot will have the same result?

Some holes, particularly those with water in play, ask something of the golfer in terms of the desirable shot for the best outcome but they also demand something of the golfer in terms of punishment for an improperly struck or chosen shot.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 03:32:39 PM »
Elsewhere Ivan Lipko asked if one would put Streamsong firmly in the world top 100.  Perhaps I hold a minority opinion on the two courses there, which is a nice way of saying I'm likely wrong or, heaven forbid don't "get it."  I do think the juxtaposition between the two photographs above is not insignificant.  

Bogey

For the record, this is not "Dogpile on Streamsong Day." I'm just having a little fun while trying to kill time before the exciting Titans v. Jaguars match-up tonight.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:41:41 PM by Michael H »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 03:37:58 PM »

I think so, or perhaps Orlando

Straighten the bunker lines, round off the green in the front,  toss in a thumbprint, let the plantings go to seed and voila! - another "Raynor on steroids!"
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:43:02 PM by Michael H »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
Bogey,
More like Van Kleek in the '30s than Raynor at anytime:
 ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »
Cornell. Don't think it was post-grad, either.

:)

I've never known quite how to describe that award.  It was given to me as a graduating senior ... but not for an advanced degree.

Anyway, Bogey's picture is from Bill Coore's Red course, so that was not a result of my scholarship.  And the climate in Florida is a bit different than North Berwick.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 04:04:04 PM »
PP - Go ahead and play Streamsong with one of these! ;D

Steve Wilson did and kicked my ass in a singles match!

Paul Gray

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 06:13:23 PM »

Is it really "ask the same" or is it more along the lines of hitting the proper shot will have the same result?

Some holes, particularly those with water in play, ask something of the golfer in terms of the desirable shot for the best outcome but they also demand something of the golfer in terms of punishment for an improperly struck or chosen shot.

You're right, although the ground game, and shot selection when any number of shot options are available, is still the essence of the requirement.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »
From here:

to here:

and still "love" it?

Bogey

Both holes look the same to me.
A forced carry to an angled fairway
One over trees from  a massively elevated tee ;), one over water.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back