News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Re: 15 Rounds, 1 Scottish, Welsh, or Irish Links (ie NO English)
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »
I was tempted to Brora or Golspie, but on second thoughts, I'd go for Askernish. I think I'd happily play 15 rounds around there but I'd need at least a couple of weeks as I'd also want to get out and about around the rest of the Western Isles! I suspect membership wouldn't be a problem, and the Chairman of the club Ralph, would no doubt go out of his way to make you welcome!

Cheers,

James

15 times round Askernish in a week would be a pretty solid hike...

Adam,

It certainly would, but it would be an enjoyable hike! Having said that Hollinwell is a pretty solid hike so wouldn't bother me too much, but may perhaps explain my love for the shorter courses (Brora, Cavendish, Beau Desert etc) to give me a break...  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 05:45:03 PM »
;D ;D ;D

I think we can agree RCP deserves its own country.

;D ;D  ;D

When I finally make it to RCP, I'm half expecting to see Chaplin, Sheehy, Muldoon, Warren et al sitting round the bar in a parody of the Boulevard of Broken Dreams parody of Hopper's Nighthawks.

With lovely Laura behind the bar!

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 12:10:24 AM »
I spent a week in Tenby a couple of years ago and played the course 8 or 9 times. Country membership is available although I got a 7-day ticket for £150 which was astounding value.

I loved my time there. Tenby is a lovely town for a holiday and they have as good a fifteen hole links course as you could hope to find.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 04:06:36 AM »
I was tempted to Brora or Golspie, but on second thoughts, I'd go for Askernish. I think I'd happily play 15 rounds around there but I'd need at least a couple of weeks as I'd also want to get out and about around the rest of the Western Isles! I suspect membership wouldn't be a problem, and the Chairman of the club Ralph, would no doubt go out of his way to make you welcome!

Cheers,

James

I always thought of Askernish as a fairly easy walk despite reading about the "big dunes in the middle of the round"... What does it compare with in walking terms - A Lahinch? I think I'd happily manage 15 rounds on Lahinch any week it was offered to me.

I can certainly see Mark enjoying a week in Elie because the town has plenty to offer as well as the course unfolding its subtleties... But I still dream of 36 holes a day at Machrihanish, staying at the Ugadale Cottages (100 yards from the first tee) and filling my spare time with an evening meal, the odd glass of wine, a walk along the beach / dip in the sea and a few good books...

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 05:46:26 AM »
Royal Cinque Ports offers 10 days competitive golf during Deal week at the end of August for circa. £160, four chaps renting a local house for £200pp for a week can get 8 days of accommodation, competitions and social golf for £360.

Only problem is the bar is only open for around 13 hours a day!  :o
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 06:06:39 AM »
Royal Cinque Ports offers 10 days competitive golf during Deal week at the end of August for circa. £160, four chaps renting a local house for £200pp for a week can get 8 days of accommodation, competitions and social golf for £360.

Only problem is the bar is only open for around 13 hours a day!  :o

Also Mark it is in England.

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 07:16:52 AM »
15 rounds in a week is an awful lot of golf irrespective of the course. That said I'd heartily recommend two clubs I was previously a member at, the first being Silloth and the second Moray GC at Lossiemouth.

As Silloth is in England and has in any case been well covered elsewhere let me focus on Moray. What you get for your green fee at Moray is not one but two links courses, one of which (Moray Old) has had input from Old Tom and Harry Colt. It has some wonderful holes including the closing hole which is possibly the best closing hole in Scotland. Another feature is it's grass bunkers that litter the course, most being abondoned sand bunkers from previous routings. Other features are aircraft landing lights for the adjacent RAF Lossiemouth. Ever tied to sink a one foot path as an RAF Tornado jet flies 100 feet above your head ? Now that's pressure  ;).

And then there's Moray New which comprises the old nine hole ladies course that was extended to 18 in the 1970's by Henry Cottons design company. This course is not short despite what it's pedigree might suggest but it does lack some of the charm of the Old and indeed a modest bit of "featuring" as they used to call it, would work wonders, but still some really nice holes as it is.

Now add to that a charming old clubhouse with panaramic views and it's a fairly complete package. At this point I should be telling you what the overseas subs are but due to the unique Scottish take on marketing, the club websirte doesn't tell you. That might be on the basis of tyhe old maxim of if you have to ask you can't afford it, but somehow I doubt that's the case. What I can say was that a couple of years ago when I was still a full member the subs were c.£430 from memory. I would imagine therefore that overseas or country membership would be less than £300 and would be fairly readily available as well.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 08:20:51 AM »

Cheers,

James

I always thought of Askernish as a fairly easy walk despite reading about the "big dunes in the middle of the round"... What does it compare with in walking terms - A Lahinch? I think I'd happily manage 15 rounds on Lahinch any week it was offered to me.

I can certainly see Mark enjoying a week in Elie because the town has plenty to offer as well as the course unfolding its subtleties... But I still dream of 36 holes a day at Machrihanish, staying at the Ugadale Cottages (100 yards from the first tee) and filling my spare time with an evening meal, the odd glass of wine, a walk along the beach / dip in the sea and a few good books...

Once round Askernish is a nice walk. But twice round there every day for a week, and having to find a third round one day? I think I would find that pretty hard work. But then I would probably say the same about most courses. I think Askernish as a walk compares pretty well to any of the older big dune courses. It's a lot easier than somewhere like Carne, say.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 08:29:29 AM »
Strange thing is English golf is unheard of outside of GCA. Most Americans I've met in Scotland look at you like you've just threatened to eat their dog if you suggest golfing in England.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »
Strange thing is English golf is unheard of outside of GCA. Most Americans I've met in Scotland look at you like you've just threatened to eat their dog if you suggest golfing in England.

This is exactly how we want it. So far in my research I have discovered that quality Scottish and Irish courses are possibly the least-accessible (in the broadest definition of that term) of any market I've experienced in the world.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 08:47:16 AM »

This is exactly how we want it. So far in my research I have discovered that quality Scottish and Irish courses are possibly the least-accessible (in the broadest definition of that term) of any market I've experienced in the world.
How so?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »
There's 4 buses a DAY from Glasgow to Campbeltown even Machrihanish is accessible  ;)
Cave Nil Vino

Niall C

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 09:10:13 AM »
The trouble with golf in Scotland is that you can't get into the car park for the bloody Perry Golf buses all over the place  ;D

Niall

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 09:24:07 AM »
Mark C - yes, Machrihanish all things considered is very good value. And you and I both know it would be even better value were it somehow located in England.

Mark P

Cost and tee time availability. It's one thing to note that a course is available to public play, it's another to contemplate actually spending a week playing it. For example, Rosses Point has been mooted here as a possible choice. Out of the way and therefore subject to less visitor golf pressure. For #2 son and I to play 36 holes in one day would cost USD $480. There are no multiday passes or seasonal memberships. In contrast to Scottish and Irish courses, to play Royal St Davids for example would cost less than that for both of us -- for the entire week. (Okay, the week we'd visit happens to be their open week.  :) )
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »
Mark,

How old is son no.2?  If he's a junior then you and he could become full members of Crail for not much more than that day.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2014, 10:25:47 AM »
Mark

Oh yes, Crail. Here are the strongest possibilities based on research so far (in no particular order): Brora, Askernish, Elie, Crail, Golspie, Macrihanish, Harlech, Aberdovey.

BUT #2 is agitating for nightlife so maybe Edinburgh-Kilspindie? He even said he wanted a place where English isn't spoken so I offered Glasgow. I am thinking maybe I can get him to go for one of the more substantial resort towns. (St Andrews is no go.) This could mean England - back to RND is a very appealing option - or even abandonment of the links dream for some sort of London combo. Or even crazier a Swedish links??

All thoughts greatly appreciated.

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2014, 10:30:27 AM »
Well Mark, given you aren't actually looking to play 15 rounds and the social/cultural side of things is very important, I would ask if Westward Ho! did the job socially/culturally?  If so, your target point is very low and lot places will suffice.  

That said, I am not convinced Harlech, Aberdovey, Crail, Golspie will satisfy your golf lust.  All are good, but not really inspiring designs.  Strandhill will probably whet your appetite more from this perspective, but Sligo may not appeal.  Machrihanish has nothing there but a tourist haunt of a "village". Campbletown is a bit of a drive, but probably not too dissimilar to Bideford.  Machrie and Askernish are isolated...Of the ones mentioned to date, the Elie proposition of a weekly ticket for £250 sounds the most promising.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2014, 10:30:55 AM »
Mark

Oh yes, Crail. Here are the strongest possibilities based on research so far (in no particular order): Brora, Askernish, Elie, Crail, Golspie, Macrihanish, Harlech, Aberdovey.

BUT #2 is agitating for nightlife so maybe Edinburgh-Kilspindie? He even said he wanted a place where English isn't spoken so I offered Glasgow. I am thinking maybe I can get him to go for one of the more substantial resort towns. (St Andrews is no go.) This could mean England - back to RND is a very appealing option - or even abandonment of the links dream for some sort of London combo. Or even crazier a Swedish links??

I was thinking of Falsterbo which would be great fun for a week and is striking distance to Malmo... But had ruled it out on the likelihood of affordable overseas membership, it being quite a traditional, upmarket club.

Ljunghusen could work for you - great clubhouse, great feeling but less sure whether there is enough repeat play subtlety for you...

Nightlife in South Uist (Askernish) can be quite vibrant. It's just a different type of nightlife....

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2014, 10:31:18 AM »
Mark

Sweden is expensive. Most of the Askernish guys will speak to you in Scots Gaelic if you want them to! Nightlife there consists of the locals drinking whisky on your tab.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2014, 01:18:26 PM »
I spent a week in Tenby a couple of years ago and played the course 8 or 9 times. Country membership is available although I got a 7-day ticket for £150 which was astounding value.

I loved my time there. Tenby is a lovely town for a holiday and they have as good a fifteen hole links course as you could hope to find.

I thought about recommending Tenby here, but don't know when they will be over their turf problems.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
Mark

Sweden is expensive. Most of the Askernish guys will speak to you in Scots Gaelic if you want them to! Nightlife there consists of the locals drinking whisky on your tab.

;D ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »
Mark,

Out of interest, when you had your time at Westward Ho!/RND did you get bored with just playing the same course or did you slip away and play somewhere else?

atb

PS - nice WH!/RND photo on the 2014 photo of the year thread.

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »

I thought about recommending Tenby here, but don't know when they will be over their turf problems.

GJ

I hope Tenby gets over the hump soon.  The course is too good to suffer this way.  If the weather is good over the winter/spring...maybe next summer?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Bill_McBride

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2014, 04:19:04 PM »
The trouble with golf in Scotland is that you can't get into the car park for the bloody Perry Golf buses all over the place  ;D

Niall

That was my experience at Portrush.  We were stuck playing the Valley course.    ;D

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »
Mark,

Out of interest, when you had your time at Westward Ho!/RND did you get bored with just playing the same course or did you slip away and play somewhere else?

atb

PS - nice WH!/RND photo on the 2014 photo of the year thread.

Hi Thomas,

Nope, didn't veer off to any other courses. I fell far short of the 15 round goal though -- mostly because #1 son claimed battle fatigue.  >:(

I continue to daydream about the course regularly. I am obsessed with the 10th. I am wrapped around its finger.

Ally, it's funny you mention Ljunghusen -- the night before your post I had researched it.

#2 son now has brought his mother into the argument and they are insisting on going someplace where English isn't spoken. Has anyone played Lofoten?  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back