News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

In early October I had the good fortune to make a long day trip out from Philly and nearly across the state to play Sunnehanna, a Tillinghast design that opened in 1923.  This course has been talked about here before, but I don't think there has been a detailed presentation.  I'll come right out and say it now, that I really like the place.  It is very good and getting better.

Below are the plans by AWT:

(most figures and photos in this thread are 'clickable' to a larger size)

Here is a very early aerial of the course from 1928.  This shows much of the front nine.  Check out some of the bunkering!

The hole-sequencing really has not changed since the opening.  Here is the current hole-sequencing on top of a Google Earth aerial:

My host (John Yerger) is the tournament co-director for the Sunnehanna Amateur, one of the best amateur tourneys around, in existence since 1954.  The list of contestants in this tourney is a who's who of the golfing world!

Much work has been done to the course over the past years, following a master plan by Brian Silva:

For those that have played Sunnehanna but haven't been back for years, you may not recognize parts of the course due to significant tree removal.  They didn't do 'an Oakmont' on it, but plenty of trees met their maker.  Grin.

I'll be asking John to help out with the thread with his very informed perspective.  Even with some wet weather the previous days, the course played pretty fast and firm.  And that is the way they typically present it.  This summer John told me the fairway sprinklers were turned on once!

My playing partners this day were Cobb's cohort Mike Cirba, and Matt Frey.  I'm thinking they'll chime in as well.

Let's get started.

#1.  Downhill par 4 (405 yards from the tees my group played from).  Google Earth view of the hole:

Here is the description of the hole from John Yerger:

The first is a fairly gentle start to start to the round. A decent drive leaves the player with a mid to short iron. The green has a false front that works beautifully with the grade. This is a theme throughout the course. The prevailing wind is typically behind the player requiring shots to be played short of the green for pins that might be in the front quarter of green.

The first tee starts real close to the clubhouse with a beautiful view on this early October afternoon:

You can play 2nd shots on the ground at Sunnehanna on many holes, but care must be used.  Here there is a little rise at the front of the green, which then may even run a bit from front to back.  Fairway view:

View from long and left of the green, back up the fairway with the clubhouse in view at the crest of the hill:

#2.  Uphill, dogleg-right par 4 (400 yards, tips out at 430).

This hole does not run right next to the first, as there is some separation and a good skyline green.

Some excellent info from John:

The second hole is the most difficult on the course, it requires a solid tee shot, a very well struck iron and an adept touch on the green.

Played back into the prevailing wind, a good drive leaves an uphill shot with a mid-iron into what clearly was once a skyline green.  The approach shot is made more difficult by the natural terrain which lends itself to uneven lies.  A player, in the left side of the fairway, finds his ball  slightly below his feet and in the right side of the fairway the opposite.  This slope becomes more pronounced as you move to the center of the fairway where a small but noticeable depression exists.  The players approach shot must then clear a large false front which is made more significant because the green slopes from back  to front.

The front half of this green was flattened by William Flynn in 1939. He also changed the existing greenside bunkers and added the “duffers headache” on the right side.  In his review of the course in 1931, Emil Loeffler commented., “this is a much trickier green than number 17” which, as you will find out later, was saying something. The original green also had a small kickback feature which was particularly pronounced on the back right side.  Without the change in the green, and with today’s green speeds, the hole would, in all likelihood, be un-pinnable today.

Tee view:

Most will have a very uphill 2nd shot:

Big false front on this green:

After that long uphill par 4, you are met with a short par 4.

#3.  Par 4 (373 yards).

The protruding left fairway bunker must be dealt with.

From John:

The third hole, while modest in length, requires intelligent play off the tee.  The green slopes dramatically from right to left and works away from the player.  The ideal shot to any pin in the center or back right requires the shot to be played from the left side.  Like most of the course, the fairway is generous but the ability to go at any pin is dictated by  where the player positions his ball off of the tee.  Aggressive tee shots must be played directly over the fairway bunker otherwise the ball will move hard right upon landing leaving the player with a poor angle and little to work with.  Shots played just short of the bunker leave a downhill approach of just over 100 yards.

This hole, when it was built, featured a bunker that was 30 yards from the green, was some 60 yards wide and at its deepest was 40 yards in depth.  It was filled in within 5 years of opening.

Tee view (sorry for the crappy lighting on this hole):

This bunker has a big face and must be avoided, say laying up short of it:

Or drive past it leaving a short iron that seems pretty simple:

And like some other greens at Sunnehanna, this green slopes from front to back!

That's a nice start.  Three more in the next day or so.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:11:34 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matt Frey, PGA

What a pleasure Sunnehanna was to play! I didn't know a whole lot about the course or the club's history prior to our round, but John was a very gracious host and walked us through everything.

As Joe mentioned, the course played pretty firm, even with late night and early morning rain. The design certainly lends itself to a firm setup; a few holes, as John and our excellent caddies pointed out to us, play easiest when bouncing / rolling the ball onto the green (Nos. 3, 4, and especially 7 come to mind, among others).

I really enjoyed the par 3s, which Joe will post photos of in the coming days. My favorite hole may have been No. 7, where the play was to hit a couple of clubs less than the actual yardage by hitting just over a soon-to-be-resored bunker that's situated maybe 25-30 yards short of the green surface and let the ball bound onto towards the hole.

No. 15 is a wonderful par 5 that will be even more fun after Brian Silva finishes his work (double dogleg on the original routing).

One of the other things that impressed me about Sunnehanna was the collection of great skyline greens (Nos. 2, 6, 9, 16 and 18).

I had an absolute blast playing this course and I think I was smiling from ear to ear the whole round. What's even better is that while the course could easily "bite" you if you're not careful or don't think through the hole designs, it's very playable. That is something that other courses and clubs should emulate; it will only help their membership enrollment.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:12:52 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Ronald Montesano

#photoshop #punchitup
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joe Bausch

#photoshop #punchitup

#beentheredonethat

Joe Bausch

Sorry, but my server is temporarily down.  Hopefully the network issue at my school will resolved itself soon!

Okay, the network is back!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:30:59 AM by Joe Bausch »

Joe Bausch

Mike Cirba weighs in on Sunnehanna:

As both Joe and Matt mentioned, we were fortunate to play Sunnehanna this past fall and better yet, we had a consummate gracious host in John Yerger.  John made certain to point out architectural and presentation changes to the course over time as well as pointing out the various strategies of the golf holes.

Indeed, while Joe’s photos are certainly top-notch, much of what makes Sunnehanna terrific isn’t easily viewable in photographs; a front to back green here, a little knob in the center of a green there, an optimum line for a tee shot that isn’t readily apparent at first glance, the subtleties that make the course play wonderfully for first time visitors yet clearly remain a joy to the members with repeated play.

Long the home of the prestigious Sunnehanna Amateur, the golf course bears the distinct style of early Tillinghast, almost a western PA version of Somerset Hills in some respects.

Legend has it that the club had some falling out with Tillinghast during construction, so his plans were completed by JB McGovern.   Like many northeast courses of this vintage, other mistakes were made along the way after construction with the planting of thousands of trees, the removal of bunkers, the moving of the 18th hole for an expanded parking lot, and an ill-advised William Flynn plan to "close-off" the front of greens to approaches when it's clear many of the front to back sloping greens were designed for a running approach.  In fact, Sunnehanna may have more front to back sloping greens that require ground game tactics than any course I’m aware of.

These days, John and a contingent within the club have been making progress in taking the course back to it's roots, and in recent years hundreds of trees have been removed and restorative course work done by first Ron Forse and Jim Nagle, and more recently by Brian Silva has begun to show some big dividends.  Greens have been wonderfully expanded to their original fill-pads, abandoned bunkers live again, and avenues of play have been reclaimed.

At this point in its evolution, Sunnehanna is probably 70% of the course it could be, and although Silva has put together a master plan that attempts to recapture some of the Tillinghast hole strategies, like many rural clubs there are some financial issues at present and the recovery has been slower than ideal.

As can be somewhat seen in Joe's photos, Sunnehanna is almost all about the large sloping greens (which as mentioned have been wonderfully expanded back to their original sizes) and how they dictate proper play back to the tee depending on hole location.  They are indeed bold and brilliant and remind one of the creative if sometimes wacky genius of their creator.  While some holes may at first blush seem too easy with today's technology for top players, others like the 9th, with the crest of a large hill acting as a Hells Half Acre hazard to carry for any chance of reaching the long, uphill par five in regulation, there is enough challenge left in the course for it to be a really terrific members course that can still challenge the top amateurs.

Thanks to John Yerger for the wonderful day and for his continuing efforts to make certain that Sunnehanna shines!

Matt Frey, PGA

Re: Sunnehanna CC photo exploration: holes 1-3 up (1923 AWT; Johnstown, PA)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »
No. 3 was a cool little hole...as Joe said, it's not terribly long, but if you get a little greedy (like I did...and I don't even hit my driver very far), and land in the right side of the fairway or miss to the right, you're faced with a significantly more difficult approach than coming in from the left, even if you hit short of the fairway bunker.

For example, my drive found the right side of the fairway and I had to hit a very precise wedge to have any shot of getting close to the hole location. Joe, on the other hand, played a little shorter off the tee and to the left and, if I recall correctly, played one of his famous "Texas wedge" shots from over 100 yards out. I think we both played decent shots and he may have actually been a little closer to the hole.

That is the genius of the design; Tillinghast makes the player contemplate the best angle to approach the green from and rewards those who play "smartly." In this case, the right side of the fairway looks like the easier route from the tee, but it was anything but.

Joe Bausch

Re: Sunnehanna CC photo exploration: holes 1-3 up (1923 AWT; Johnstown, PA)
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 07:52:07 AM »
#4.  Par 4 (403 yards).  Google Earth view of the hole:

The 4th hole is another fairly modest hole in length.  Like the 3rd hole, the best feature is another terrific fall-away green. The pitch shot is made more difficult by the prevailing wind which again is behind the player.  The green works seemlessley with the grade. Most first time players will badly underestimate the tilt of the green because of this. 

Originally the hole featured a massive bunker shaped like a boomerang which sat in the middle of the fairway. It is clearly visible in the 1928 aerial.  Emil Loeffler made special note of this bunker stating in his typed notes from 1929: “the trap on #4 fairway is a good looking one. This is an important trap”.  To have the superintendent and head professional at Oakmont make that statement says something about the merits of the bunker.  Regrettably this bunker was eliminated when irrigation ponds were added.  Returning this bunker is a priority. It is certainly unlike any bunker seen on any other Tillinghast course. It would have tremendous impact both aesthetically and strategically.

Tee view:

View after a good drive:

From short of the green:

View from just over the green:

#5.  Par 3 (185 yards).

More from John:

The course truly starts for the competitive golfer on the 5th hole.  A reverse Redan, the green is just over 40 yards in depth and slopes severely from left to right.  The shot is made more difficult by the wind that comes out of the players left.

Three additional bunkers were down the left side before the green.  Again these are all visible in the early aerial.  One bunker worked horizontally across the line of play and was followed two additional bunkers that ran vertically.  These bunkers would have made this shot even more imposing.

There was also a massive bunker that helped prevent balls from going into the nearby park that was more than 50 yards in length.  This too was removed for an irrigation pond.

Tee view:

View from across the irrigation pond:

It is hard to believe the movement in this green until you see it move shots with your own eyes!:

After that wonderful par 3, you are met with an uphill par 4.

#6.  Par 4 (400 yards; tips 435).

From John:

The 6th hole, like the 2nd is an uphill par-4 that plays back into the wind.  Like the 2nd hole it was obviously another great skyline green as well.  Forty yards in depth, the green slopes from back-to-front and is typically one of the toughest holes on the course.

Over 180 pine trees used to be on the right side of this hole.  Another 35 trees were eliminated from behind the green and to its left as well.

Tee view:

From 100 yards out:

View from just behind the green:

Three more over the weekend!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 02:57:10 PM by Joe Bausch »

Matt Frey, PGA

I recall John mentioning that the original design for No. 4 included a completely different line of play from the tee, in where the players would tee off from behind the third green, rather than to the left of No. 3.

Looking at Mr. Silva's master plan, it appears that they will be reclaiming that original teeing ground for alternate tee use. The view from the tee may not be as attractive from the original location, I would bet the it would make the strategy a lot more interesting. I'm sure John could provide some additional insight.

Joe Bausch

I recall John mentioning that the original design for No. 4 included a completely different line of play from the tee, in where the players would tee off from behind the third green, rather than to the left of No. 3.

Looking at Mr. Silva's master plan, it appears that they will be reclaiming that original teeing ground for alternate tee use. The view from the tee may not be as attractive from the original location, I would bet the it would make the strategy a lot more interesting. I'm sure John could provide some additional insight.

From John:

Matt is exactly right, the tee shot would be played on the oblique and is in the plan.  That was Tillinghast's original proposal but the tee was changed it to the present location.  One reason that decision may have been made is the tee shot, which is played from a much higher spot, would certainly have made the bunker more imposing and visible.  The aesthetic appeal of this bunker cannot be overstated. Whether it is better strategically is a fair question.

Joe Bausch

Three more holes today after I played some late fall, chilly golf at Flourtown CC.

I must admit I'm a bit surprised this thread hasn't generated more chatter.  Perhaps there is just an induction period.  Grin.

#7.  Downhill par 3 (225 yards; 241 stretched out).  Google Earth view of the hole:

This is a great, long downhill par-3 that offers the player options off the tee. It usually ranks among the five hardest holes during the tournament and in fact was the most difficult in 2014. While certainly the player can fly the ball on the green, the more conservative and interesting approach is use the generous tilt of the fairway that slopes forward and left. Balls that land there will quickly move left and onto the surface.

The significant downhill slope in front of the green is barely noticeable from the tee. The approach shot can be made even more difficult with the prevailing wind that is at the players back. This can mean a player could potentially play his shot as much as 40-50 yards short of the green to get the ball of the surface. 

Originally this hole had no green side bunkers. Two fairway bunkers were on the right side that required the player to carry them to reach the landing desired landing area in the fairway. The original proposal also featured a large cross-bunker some 50 yards short of the green.

Tillinghast wrote about this type of hole, "We have now arrived at the conclusion that a one-shot hole, played from a stirring height, which should great the eye with inspiration of lovely and scenic beauty or panoramic grandeur to a green a trifle sort of 200 yards."

As for the green," the design of the green that is to take a long wood from the tee is considered, it must be of necessity an open and spread out affair, gradually losing distinctive character as the length of the shot increases." Except for the far left side and a small rise in the front right, this green is relatively flat.

Because of the downhill shot Tillinghast understood the illusion of the ball in the air, but he also didn't want to reward a topped shot that might still reach the green, " Even a duffer gets a great kick as his shot goes zooming forth in an amazingly cheering way." but as for the poor shot, " The player should look down on a hazard sufficiently imposing as to make it necessary to regard the shot from the tee with some respect." This accounts for the cross-bunker.

The elimination of the two bunkers and the failure to build the large cross-bunkers had unforeseen consequences. All would have significantly diminished the amount of water that now rushes over this green after heavy rains. In fact the shaping of the right green side bunker and its shaping, as made matters worse!

The one person never given enough credit for their contributions to the design of a course is the engineer. James T McGovern, not JP, was the chief engineer for Tillinghast Construction Company and was also the engineer for Newport and Winged Foot before the company folded in 1924.

Tee view:

From right of the green:

From the back of the green looking up to the tee:

#8.  Par 4 (360 back tee, <350 from the other tees).

From the 'other' tees this hole plays pretty straight, and the back tee is also fairly straight but from a different angle through a chute of trees (Google Earth view):

John's take on the 8th:

Originally a short par four surrounded by five bunkers, this hole was redesigned and changed in 1957 by William Gordon. Johnstown's principle employer was Bethlehem Steel and Gordon who Gordon had a particularly strong relationship with. The shot through the gap was completed in 1959. It once put the fear of god in players, with many a tournament lost off the tee. With time, that has changed although it was lengthened in 2014 by 30 yards. The carry over the center bunker is now 265 yards. This made the hole only modestly more difficult. Played on the oblique, it is a very good strategic hole.  The position of the drive is determined by the pin position because of a large oak, just short and right of the green.

The plan is to bring back the original design by moving the green some 30 yards. The original 8th green still exists and is used for chipping.

Both the 7th and 8th holes are clearly visible in the 1928 aerial.

Back tee view:

Forward tees view:

Approach view:

Note, this is a 'new' green.  The original green, now used for a chipping area, sits not far behind the first green:

#9.  An uphill par 5 (574 yards; 617 all the way back!).  Google Earth view:

John's input on the 9th:

A long uphill par-5 that requires 3 well played shots into a prevailing wind. The green, almost 50 yards in depth adds to the difficulty. Originally another skyline green, the approach shot made is made more difficult by a large false front that obscures a significant portion of the green to the player. The front third of the green slopes away from the player and hard to the right.

The front side typically plays almost a full shot harder for the Sunnehanna Amateur with the 2nd, 5th, 6th and 7th holes among the 6 most difficult.

Tee view (yes, a little 'sleet squall' is coming that we encountered on the next hole!):

2nd shot view:

From just short of the green that falls off steeply at the back and right:

The back-nine to begin on Monday!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:00:21 PM by Joe Bausch »

Matt Frey, PGA

Re: Sunnehanna CC photo exploration: front nine up (1923 AWT; Johnstown, PA)
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 10:46:14 AM »
I believe John mentioned that the gap through the trees on No. 8 had to be approved with the administrators of the nature preserve / park (I cannot remember if it was a local or state-controlled area) that surrounds Sunnehanna as the area between the alternate tees and the fairway bunkers are actually not part of the club's property. Obviously, trees were cut down to create the chute, but the ravine is so deep and punishing, no players would enter the area if they failed to clear it with their drives.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:51:28 AM by Matt Frey, PGA »

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »
It looks like a neat golf course, however I have to say I think it would of been a huge improvement to have gone "full Oakmont." The early picture showing no trees from above is really inspiring. The tee shot on the 2nd hole, for example and in my opinion, does not inspire.
H.P.S.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 11:41:08 AM »
It looks like a neat golf course, however I have to say I think it would of been a huge improvement to have gone "full Oakmont." The early picture showing no trees from above is really inspiring. The tee shot on the 2nd hole, for example and in my opinion, does not inspire.

Pat, as I was on the 2nd tee and glancing back up the hill to see a pretty thick group of trees to the right, I couldn't help but mention to my host how neat it would look to not really have any trees there and instead of some native grasses.  And a cleaner look up to the clubhouse!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »
And I just received the following info from John Yerger concerning the trees on the 2nd hole:

The plans are to certainly remove the pines and probably the large trees before the dogleg. They disproportionally impact the average golfer.

Stu Wolffe

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »
Joe...this is amazing!  Let's plan a trip for the spring!

Tom_Doak

I must admit I'm a bit surprised this thread hasn't generated more chatter.  Perhaps there is just an induction period.  Grin.

Joe:

I appreciate the time you take to do these photo tours, and I was looking forward to this one to help me to decide whether I need to spend another day away from home next summer to see Sunnehanna before volume 3 of The Confidential Guide goes to press.

So far, though, I'm underwhelmed by what I've seen.  Maybe it doesn't photograph well, or maybe all the cluttery nursery trees are having too much impact on my thoughts so far.  But many of the coolest features of the old aerial have been lost or changed.  And that back tee shot on #8 looks silly from the aerial view!

Joe Bausch

Joe:

I appreciate the time you take to do these photo tours, and I was looking forward to this one to help me to decide whether I need to spend another day away from home next summer to see Sunnehanna before volume 3 of The Confidential Guide goes to press.

So far, though, I'm underwhelmed by what I've seen.  Maybe it doesn't photograph well, or maybe all the cluttery nursery trees are having too much impact on my thoughts so far.  But many of the coolest features of the old aerial have been lost or changed.  And that back tee shot on #8 looks silly from the aerial view!

I was hoping on your last trip through NY to play some courses you might have stopped at Sunnehanna on your way back to Michigan. 

:)

I feel it is that good and hoping more people will seek it out.

Back nine to start hopefully later today.   ;D

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 10:18:07 AM »
Holes 10-12 today.  Note:  to show the ongoing work at the Club, the Google Earth hole diagrams from a few years back aren't exact as bunkers have been removed and green space regained.

The weather gods were alive and well as we approached the 10th tee and some frozen precipitation began to fall.  Thankfully it only lasted for about 5 minutes and we continued on this most enjoyable journey.

#10.  Par 3 (155 yards; 175 back tee).

Outdated Google Earth view:

A relatively gentle beginning to the back nine with this one-shotter that runs a bit downhill:

Short description of the 10th from John:

The 10th hole the front bunker was removed and was not a part of Tillinghast's original plan. The green was enlarged and some slope removed in the back left to provide for additional pin positions.

Tee view:

From behind the green:

The next hole, the eleventh, currently plays as a 500+ yard par 5, but the hopes are to change this back to the original shorter par 4, which will be a nice, fair 2-shotter.

#11.  Uphill tee shot and slight dogleg right par 5 (505 yards; 519 from the back).

Short description of the 11th from John:

The 11th was originally a par-4 and the hardest hole on the course. A front bunker was added to close the entrance. This has since been removed and another back right bunker as well. The green has been restored to what it originally was as far as shape. This hole is the be returned to a par 4 in the restoration.

Tee view:

A good drive allows one to reach this green in two, a shot short of the green tumbling on working just fine (part of the flag visible):

Another front-to-back sloping green:

#12.  Par 4 (390 yards/427 gold tee).

From John:

The 12th hole was one of the 3 holes changed by Flynn. He closed the green by adding a front right bunker. This has been removed and the green restored. A significant number of pines were removed from the right side as well.

Tee view:

Approach view:

View from just off the back right corner of the green:

More tomorrow.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:03:48 PM by Joe Bausch »

PCCraig

The 10th hole looks awesome!
H.P.S.

Joe Bausch

The 10th hole looks awesome!

You must be easy to shop for around the holidays.   ;)

Jim Sherma

Joe - thanks again for another nice tour. Sunnehanna has been on my radar for a while and unfortunately I had to turn down a chance to play it last year. Hopefully I will be luckier with my schedule if the offer presents itself again. I have to agree with Tom D that I am a little underwhelmed by what I have seen so far compared to my possibly too high expectations. Up to this point it appears to have a relatively flat-ish site for being in the western half of PA.

I get the sense that the course plays much more interestingly than it photographs and would be a treat to play day after day. Ground level open fronted greens with little or no back to front tilt (not to mention front to back tilt) tends to present a challenge that is fun even after repeated plays. This style does not lend itself to any real wow factor in a photo.

I am interested to know what speed the club tend to keep the greens and how much of the daily or tournament challenge is based on it. I always felt that a good litmus test for when I see new courses is whether or not the course would still be deemed something special if it was maintained like an average muni course. For those that have played Sunnehanna how would you answer this thought experiment?

Pat - I agree that 10 looks real good. This type of push-up short par-3 is somewhat of a template for Tilly isn't it. Baltimore #4 and the two short 3's in the corner at Cricket come to mind, especially the one that comes back towards the clubhouse.

Joe Bausch

Jim, let's both go out there this coming season.  I know you'll like it.  Probably love it.

The most similar course to it that I've played is Somerset Hills.  Which I really love.  And Sunnehanna is almost as good for me.

Jim Sherma

Jim, let's both go out there this coming season.  I know you'll like it.  Probably love it.

The most similar course to it that I've played is Somerset Hills.  Which I really love.  And Sunnehanna is almost as good for me.

I'm in, I certainly have plenty of time for more good Tilly.

Joe Bausch

John Yerger responds to some previous posts:

To answer Jim's question of green speeds: we don’t want them over 12 and probably a little less.  It just depends on how much moisture is in the greens.  Two greens, in particular, we may just do a single cut and no roll because of how much slope is in them.  The bottom line is we don’t want the greens too fast, as we would lose way too many pin placements.  Consistent and true is the goal, not speed.

With regards to the perception that the course is flat, I believe Joe, Matt, Mike Cirba, and Mark Saltzman, who played earlier this summer, will tell everyone otherwise.  I would add that I believe the genius of this routing is how Tillinghast used the terrain and hid how much slope actually exists.

The comments about the ornamental trees are appreciated and they have been brought up for removal, as have others.

The 10th is a Tillinghast template called a Tiny Tim.  He used frontal hazards, bunker, water or in our case a very steep slope. Another hole that Tillinghast used a similar approach is the 10th at Brook Hollow.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back