News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Change to the 12th at Royal St. George's
« on: December 01, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »
Today I saw this tweet from Mackenzie & Ebert:
https://twitter.com/golfarchitects/status/539383713277026305

The RSG website still shows the prior version. 
http://www.royalstgeorges.com/hole_12

I'm not sure what to think about the change.  Has anyone seen the new version?

Ronald Montesano

Re: Change to the 12th at Royal St. George's
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 01:27:39 PM »
I can't see the bunker in either photo!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 01:51:41 PM »
Maybe they've filled in the bunker behind the green you can see on the Strokesaver image and replaced it by extending the slope from the back right on around.  Not sure why you'd want to make that great short par 4 easier, more unnecessary tinkering with a great old course.   I loved that stretch 10-13.   

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 02:39:10 PM »
The second shot on 12 and tee shot on 13 have probably combined to cost me about eight strokes, total, over the three rounds I've played there. That's in addition to the strokes lost on the tee shot on 12 and second/third/fourth shots at 13  :'(

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »
I'm guessing.

This would be done at the member's request.  In winter the wind is frequently from the North East and the bunker would often be in play. Possibly too often for their liking?

I've been through the green but I'll never have been in that bunker. 

Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 03:17:06 PM »
Bill's supposition matched mine.

Here's a picture from the 13th tee.  From the M&E tweet, I assume this is the bunker that was removed.

The change would sure seem to make the hole play easier for members and might have little impact on professionals.

Michael Felton

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »
I think the thing that affects the professionals' play the most is distance from the hole. If the removal of the bunker allows a ball that goes long to run off and away down that bank there, it would potentially make the hole harder for the pros. Marginal for the amateurs who I suspect spend far more time in the bunkers short than in the one over the back.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 05:03:29 PM »
John i was there on Saturday and you are correct - it is the back bunker that is  being removed. It is still a WIP. I can't remember the precise logic for the change but i don't think the hole loses anything. Generally people did not  know it was there so removing it will not alter the strategy. It is the front bunkers which dominate - trying to clear them, often playing down-wind while staying on the green.

Bunkers are being altered on a few holes. If memory serves:

- fairway bunker to catch tee shot on right of 7 being made deeper;
- more challenging bunker to catch tee shot on the right of  9.
- splitting the coffin bunker on left of 17 green into two smaller bunkers.

I don't think you need be too concerned Bill! But best you come back to check for yourself!

Philip

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »
John i was there on Saturday and you are correct - it is the back bunker that is  being removed. It is still a WIP. I can't remember the precise logic for the change but i don't think the hole loses anything. Generally people did not  know it was there so removing it will not alter the strategy. It is the front bunkers which dominate - trying to clear them, often playing down-wind while staying on the green.

Bunkers are being altered on a few holes. If memory serves:

- fairway bunker to catch tee shot on right of 7 being made deeper;
- more challenging bunker to catch tee shot on the right of  9.
- splitting the coffin bunker on left of 17 green into two smaller bunkers.

I don't think you need be too concerned Bill! But best you come back to check for yourself!

Philip

Agreed, I'm really thinking about getting back to Kent after Buda next year. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 07:03:23 AM »
Bill you are always welcome in this part of the world, with luck we can get Philip down and do a double header.

In 2011 I spent sometime on 12 and the pin was at the back so the bunker was in play, saw several players including Caberra hit fat wedges into the front bunker. The back bunker actually allowed aggressive play as the punishment for attacking the pin and going long was a simple bunker shot. This should make the hole a little harder.

I've always liked the coffin on 17, it's unusual in these days of cut backs to see two pots replacing one as there will be a maintenance cost involved.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back