News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nigel Islam

Golf Snobs
« on: November 12, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
From Geoff Ogilvy's "My Shot" in current Golf Digest:

"I've identified four sub-species so far. The first is The Membership Collector. He belongs to several clubs, all of the expensive, exclusive, and always on the tip of his tongue. The second is The Traditionalist. He raves about 6000-yard seaside courses (preferably in Scotland), plays them with wooden woods and insists golf was better before they invented the bunker rake. Then there's Mr. Big & New. Buys a new driver every six months, has 40 Scotty Cameron putters, drives brand new cars to courses that are 7500 yards. Loves huge clubhouses with wine cellars. Then there's The History Guy. That's me. Always talking about old players, old courses, the history of majors and so on. Knows not only about architects, but when and where they were born."

I just got such a kick out of this paragraph I had to throw it up for discussion. Of course on this site The History Guy also has to know where the architects are buried too ;) I am defintely The History Guy as well.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:51:46 PM by Nigel Islam »

K Rafkin

Re: Golf Snobs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
the real question is which one of these groups feels most superior...

Josh Stevens

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »
I suspect at the end of this thread there will be a few more than 4 sub species

I am the "downplay the whole thing, but still secretly a snob"

Member at poshest club in town, but justify it by saying that it just happens to be to closest club to where I live.

Have battered old bag of bats from ebay, but they are old Hogan blades allowing  me to boast that I can still play to single digits with the things

Would never were any logoed clothing - too much of snob for that.  Intentionally dress down so people might think I am an eccentric old Duke, or just so rich and successful I no longer need to try and impress anyone

Sneer contemptuously at people who ride carts

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 07:44:17 PM »
Never believe a man who gives himself a nickname.

John McCarthy

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 07:50:28 PM »
By the very nature of posting here I think it means we are snobs.  Snobs sounds better than nerds, right?

Right? 

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Steve Wilson

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:32:43 PM »

As I belong to groups two and four and have just rechristened myself "Woody", it's obviously me. 

Of course, if I had the wherewithal to belong to groups 1 and/or 3 it would be still me, sans the self-assigned nickname.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »
One of the many reasons to like Geoff is that he actually uses the word "I", even if the sentence that follows is not full of self-praise. (Even if he's talking about not winning the Whisper Rock club championship, he says "I've never won it".)

Why is this noteworthy? Because for some reason, tour pros -- almost every single one of them -- have stopped using "I" almost entirely. (Maybe it's on their sports psychologist's advice.) Have you noticed how many times you'll hear or read something like this from a tour pro:

"Not hitting it.  On 17, never should've happened -- veered right, got caught up in the rough. Off 18, make a better choice there, tugged it a little bit - wind took it, left to right coming off that hill. Not playing poorly -- need to score better, Saturday, pins tucked, tough conditions. Some putts drop -- go low, shoot 5-6 under, put some pressure on, you know -- work it out, come back tomorrow, see what happens."      

It drives me crazy. "1984" style golf speak. I'm glad Geoff hasn't become a pod person. More power to him -- and goodness he is an articulate person. Very nice to read.  

Peter
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:24:54 PM by PPallotta »

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »
Peter -

Or worse, I heard a pro interviewed last week who talked in terms of "we", as in "we caught a flyer out of the rough ..." or "We misread the putt." 

Geoff is one of the few active professional athletes in any sport who conveys information when interviewed.  A rare breed. He seems to have actually thought about the game. Something that has probably gotten in the way of his competitive record.

Bob 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »
Never believe a man who gives himself a nickname.

You betcha Gillette.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill Seitz

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »
By the very nature of posting here I think it means we are snobs.  Snobs sounds better than nerds, right?

Right? 

No, we're definitely nerds.  I don't think appreciating the finer things makes you snobbish.  I think dismissing or refusing to interact with "lesser" things makes you snobbish.  There's nothing snobbish about appreciating great golf courses.  It's refusing to play the dog track down the road when your buddy who plays maybe a couple times a year makes a tee time that makes you a snob.  Keeping a refrigerator full of craft beer doesn't make you a snob.  Refusing to drink the bottle of Bud Light that your buddy buys you after the round makes you snob. 

Neil Johnston

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 03:32:06 PM »
He goes on to name a 5th type - the "harder is better" guy (and calls out Oakmont members). I run into this sub-species in Chicago frequently in my group of friends who struggle to shoot in the 80s.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 03:34:01 PM »
One of the many reasons to like Geoff is that he actually uses the word "I", even if the sentence that follows is not full of self-praise. (Even if he's talking about not winning the Whisper Rock club championship, he says "I've never won it".)

Why is this noteworthy? Because for some reason, tour pros -- almost every single one of them -- have stopped using "I" almost entirely. (Maybe it's on their sports psychologist's advice.) Have you noticed how many times you'll hear or read something like this from a tour pro:

"Not hitting it.  On 17, never should've happened -- veered right, got caught up in the rough. Off 18, make a better choice there, tugged it a little bit - wind took it, left to right coming off that hill. Not playing poorly -- need to score better, Saturday, pins tucked, tough conditions. Some putts drop -- go low, shoot 5-6 under, put some pressure on, you know -- work it out, come back tomorrow, see what happens."      

It drives me crazy. "1984" style golf speak. I'm glad Geoff hasn't become a pod person. More power to him -- and goodness he is an articulate person. Very nice to read.  

Peter

Exactly why I can't stand Rory McIlroy interviews - breaking down every swing and talking out the side of his mouth

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »
No, we're definitely nerds.  I don't think appreciating the finer things makes you snobbish.  I think dismissing or refusing to interact with "lesser" things makes you snobbish. 

Well-put, Bill.  I completely agree.

Falling into one of those categories (probably the first) is the guy who relates a situation he encounters on the golf course with you by name-dropping another club.  "I haven't seen a bounce that lucky since I skipped one off the rocks on the 16th at Cypress."

"Nice up and down.  A friend of mine hit a shot like that on 13 at Augusta last week."

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »
Peter -

Or worse, I heard a pro interviewed last week who talked in terms of "we", as in "we caught a flyer out of the rough ..." or "We misread the putt." 

Geoff is one of the few active professional athletes in any sport who conveys information when interviewed.  A rare breed. He seems to have actually thought about the game. Something that has probably gotten in the way of his competitive record.

Bob 

Or refer to themselves in the third person, God help us.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 05:08:36 PM »
Peter -

Bob 

"Jimmy's Down!"

BCowan

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »
Peter -

Geoff is one of the few active professional athletes in any sport who conveys information when interviewed.  A rare breed. He seems to have actually thought about the game. Something that has probably gotten in the way of his competitive record.

Bob  

"Jimmy's Down!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0nG1OfUc;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:15:08 PM by BCowan »

Paul Gray

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »

Right? 

No, we're definitely nerds.  I don't think appreciating the finer things makes you snobbish.  I think dismissing or refusing to interact with "lesser" things makes you snobbish.  There's nothing snobbish about appreciating great golf courses.  It's refusing to play the dog track down the road when your buddy who plays maybe a couple times a year makes a tee time that makes you a snob.  Keeping a refrigerator full of craft beer doesn't make you a snob.  Refusing to drink the bottle of Bud Light that your buddy buys you after the round makes you snob. 

I think I may now be both. Until recently I was simply a nerd with a snobbish persona. This week however, for the first time, I declined an invite to play a particularly nasty track which, unbeknown to the club, is now the proud owner of only the second Doak zero I've ever dished out.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Mike_Duffy

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 11:55:46 PM »

And that is  precisely why I left GCA 11 years ago. I could not abide with the sneering elitism of many of the American contributors to this forum.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 03:27:02 AM »

And that is  precisely why I left GCA 11 years ago. I could not abide with the sneering elitism of many of the American contributors to this forum.

Mike,

Nice to see you check in. Been a long time. Hope things are well for you.
Tim Weiman

Daniel Jones

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 07:28:15 AM »
Since the guys in my regular foursome call me a snob quite often, I figured this was a good spot to make my first post.

I'm a combination of #2 and #4. My clubs are as old or older than I am, and I play 2/3 of my golf at the local muni because it's the oldest, most enjoyable course in town.

But since my wife refers to me as "Sheldon Cooper" I'm going to say I prefer the nerd designation as well.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »
Is there a catchy name for the guy who thinks the only way to play Golf in its truest form is with a caddie carrying your bag, a guy shining your street shoes while you're out playing and another guy to lift your club into and out of the trunk of your car?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 09:41:58 AM »
Nigel, What was Geoff's context?

Just from your snippet, I'd say Mr. Ogilvy hasn't spent too much time playing with the masses.

Mike Nuzzo's observations are more thought provoking.

http://www.nuzzocoursedesign.com/pdf/GAV5.pdf
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Paul Gray

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »
Is there a catchy name for the guy who thinks the only way to play Golf in its truest form is with a caddie carrying your bag, a guy shining your street shoes while you're out playing and another guy to lift your club into and out of the trunk of your car?

I believe the term is JK.  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back