News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Treadwell

I may be way late to the party on the Dunning-Kruger Effect, but a search on here only brough up one reference.  A friend of mine explained it to me last night and it at least helped me understand why very basic GCA strategies are just a foreign language to people at my course that are pushing back on restoration of a 95 year old track.  Anyone out there know some of these people?  I'm sure the Architect's out there never have to deal with this ;).

This is a link to a nice summary: http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/lessons-from-dunning-kruger/
(If you clink on "in a recent article" inside that summary it will take you to David Dunning's full article...lengthy but a good read)

A few of my favorite quotes from this:

“…incompetent people do not recognize—scratch that, cannot recognize—just how incompetent they are,”

“What’s curious is that, in many cases, incompetence does not leave people disoriented, perplexed, or cautious. Instead, the incompetent are often blessed with an inappropriate confidence, buoyed by something that feels to them like knowledge.”

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect):
Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:
 1.fail to recognize their own lack of skill;
 2.fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
 3.fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
 4.recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill.

Thomas Dai

There's a yee olde joke about private members golf clubs -

"Why do private members golf clubs always have showers in the locker rooms?"

"Because a committee cannot run a bath."

atb

Garland Bayley

1.fail to recognize their own lack of skill;
 2.fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
 3.fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
 4.recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill.

Therefore, they become managers, and politicians. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back